[M18x R2] - BIOS A07 released

svl7

Dell just released the latest BIOS for the M18x R2 on their site (A07), grab it here:

Drivers and Downloads | Dell [united States]

Or use the attached file in case you have issues with downloading from their site.

No change log... once again. This really has to stop.

Let us know if there are any noticeable changes / improvements.

EDIT: Note that you might not be able to downgrade to anything that predates A07 anymore. I'm not quite sure about this yet, but it seems there are some big changes in the bios and it almost seems as if it comes now with a secure bios core, in that case it won't be easily possible to flash a non-secure bios.

EDIT 2: A08 is not on the Dell site, but file is nowhere to be found... You might want to hold off with updating until they release A08.

M18x_R2 - BIOS A07.zip

• Thumbs Up 1

is this the version from DELL strictly or a modified bios, from one of the other downloads on other pages in this forum ?

I ask, because in the information supplied by one of the more prominant members of the forum sv or something, mentioned issues with going from an unmodded bios to a modded bios if using a07-8 version, specifically meaning, choose ahead of time what you are gonna use, mod/unmodded, (if that counts as a TL/DR).

think it might break if I try it, since Im using a modded version of an earlier bios, can anyone confirm this or not ?

im sure there are others on this fourm, interested in this awnser, if any of you have had any experience with it, going back and forth and such.

anyways, good work, i downloaded this file, just reluctant to use it as of yet, without learning abit more from some possible testing/details.

is this the version from DELL strictly or a modified bios, from one of the other downloads on other pages in this forum ?

I ask, because in the information supplied by one of the more prominant members of the forum sv or something, mentioned issues with going from an unmodded bios to a modded bios if using a07-8 version, specifically meaning, choose ahead of time what you are gonna use, mod/unmodded, (if that counts as a TL/DR).

think it might break if I try it, since Im using a modded version of an earlier bios, can anyone confirm this or not ?

im sure there are others on this fourm, interested in this awnser, if any of you have had any experience with it, going back and forth and such.

anyways, good work, i downloaded this file, just reluctant to use it as of yet, without learning abit more from some possible testing/details.

that is the unmodified stock Dell A08 bios as verified with the md5 hash on the Dell site

It's simple - if you're already on a stock A07 or A08 you simply won't be able to flash the vbios, you can try it but the system will come up with a "invalid bios image" error before flashing, no harm done, no problem... just no flash.

If you're on A03 or earlier you can easily flash to the modified A08, just as a regular flash.

You might only brick your system if you try to revert back from any A07 / A08 (modified or stock) to A03 or similar by using the recovery method... some people had success, but some didn't, so it's not that advisable going that way.