NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

OK... it's time for NVIDIA fans, 880M owners and others to act... if you're pissed about what you're seeing and experiencing, head on over here (link below) to make some noise and show your support for comrades that are being screwed over with an expensive GPU that runs like crap! Everyone waited and waited for a vBIOS mod from @svl7 and @johnksss and kept quiet for way too long instead of screaming. A vBIOS mod is nice, but it should not be necessary for a 880M to function normally. The fact that it still doesn't is more than ample evidence that NVIDIA screwed something up in a big way. The time for being nice and patient about this is over now. Even if you don't have 880M, please chime in and help create a stir about this. NVIDIA needs to fix this, right now. Unless people start making a big stink about it they won't have any reason to. Tell them how much money you spent expecting something awesome and how disappointed you are in their failure. Then go start an RMA process. Even if the OEM that sold you a new machine with a defective product installed in it refuses to honor the RMA, if enough disgruntled customers start asking for their money back NVIDIA will hear from the vendors about it and it won't be a nice "Geforce Experience" for them. Move it guys... please.

Nvidia crippling the gtx 880ms with there new drivers (look for a nvidia response.

In case NVIDIA decides to delete my comment, here is what I posted:

Added my 2 cents.

There needs to be a benefit to a newer flagship model. There needs to be a good reason to upgrade. As it stands, an overclocked 780M SLI setup beats an 880M SLI setup. How is that even a thing?

Added my 2 cents.

There needs to be a benefit to a newer flagship model. There needs to be a good reason to upgrade. As it stands, an overclocked 780M SLI setup beats an 880M SLI setup. How is that even a thing?

It doesn't even have to be overclocked... These cards are not matching stock 780s out of the box.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

It doesn't even have to be overclocked... These cards are not matching stock 780s out of the box.

I was reading HTWingnut's review of the Sager 9377, and his charts showed only the overclocked 780M SLI setup beating the 880M SLI config. I know a lot of users are having issues, but I'm running on the assumption that a stock 880M SLI setup will beat a stock 780M SLI setup. Notebookcheck also reinforces this notion.

I have no doubt in the users that have been posting about dismal stock performance, but all things being equal, stock 780M SLI gets beat by stock 880M SLI.

I was reading HTWingnut's review of the Sager 9377, and his charts showed only the overclocked 780M SLI setup beating the 880M SLI config. I know a lot of users are having issues, but I'm running on the assumption that a stock 880M SLI setup will beat a stock 780M SLI setup. Notebookcheck also reinforces this notion.

I have no doubt in the users that have been posting about dismal stock performance, but all things being equal, stock 780M SLI gets beat by stock 880M SLI.

Notebookcheck got cherry picked parts.

At least I've been fortunate enough not to get the throttle of doom......

I'm just angry right now don't mind me, I'll calm down and be a lot more rational...

Notebookcheck got cherry picked parts.

At least I've been fortunate enough not to get the throttle of doom......

I'm just angry right now don't mind me, I'll calm down and be a lot more rational...

I'll tell you something, my NP9377 arrives on Wednesday, and it'll be a sketchy first few hours running benchmarks and seeing what kind of performance I get. I'm crossing my fingers that my 880M's are in good shape and perform at least how they should at stock levels.

In the future, I'll probably consider making a custom PSU and unlocking the vbios. If throttling is rampant, I may have to get on this sooner rather than later.

I'll tell you something, my NP9377 arrives on Wednesday, and it'll be a sketchy first few hours running benchmarks and seeing what kind of performance I get. I'm crossing my fingers that my 880M's are in good shape and perform at least how they should at stock levels.

In the future, I'll probably consider making a custom PSU and unlocking the vbios. If throttling is rampant, I may have to get on this sooner rather than later.

You don't need a custom PSU, just get a second PSU and a Clevo power converter box and you've got 660W

You don't need a custom PSU, just get a second PSU and a Clevo power converter box and you've got 660W

Well I'm training to be an electrician, so I like the idea of building my own :)

Well I'm training to be an electrician, so I like the idea of building my own :)

Lol whatever floats your boat!

Anyway, stock, they will run 953Mhz... Mine pretty much never boosted to 993 until I used the modded vbios but to be honest, the mod isn't really necessary for most games. The only game that gave me any trouble is the one that gives everyone problems - Watch Dogs.

Benchmarking is what will drive you mad.

@Robbo, finally installed Prema Bios Mod and with Fn+1 shortcut found out the top speed of the GPU fan (3600RPM vs 2800 while gaming), so i guess i have so headroom available! Going to try the 680M vBios!

Still, any one know which one to use? Clevo 680m - 80.04.33.00.10 'OCedition' revised_01 or Clevo 680m - 80.04.29.00.01 'OCedition' revised_01? What are the differences? Is there any change log?

One of the differences is listed at the start of this thread in Post #2. Search the page for 80.04.29.00.01 and you'll see what I'm referring.

I don't see how would work since I have an AW with just 1 pin for the live.
You don't need a dual 330W adapter with a single 780M or 880M because 330W is more than enough for one of those GPU. It's not enough for two, but unfortunately Alienware did something to the 18 to limit it's power handling capacity. I can use my dual 330W AC adapter with the 18, but it still shuts itself off once the power draw hits the threshold Alienware engineers established. Unfortunately, that threshold is right about 330W.

These 330W AC adapters can actually output a fair bit more than their rated capacity, so what that means (sad to say) is that the Alienware 18 is not even permitted to max out the functional limits of a single 330W AC adapter.

Thanks to Johnksss and svl7 for all the work they've done on the BIOS unlock. I finally bit the bullet and did the unlock. I'm not going to OC the GPU, but knowing that the ability is now there... is a great thing.

Jason

Avoid the latest beta driver. It may kill Slv and John's vbios. It's crippled me left and right for the time being, along with a few other members here and over at NBR.

It is a box that is used to connect two 330W power adapters to one machine. It's pretty much mandatory for the P570WM

CLEVO Power Converter Box for Clevo X7200 Notebook : AVADirect Custom Computer Component

Speaking of the need for dual 330W AC adapters, this pulled over 530W from the wall as shown on my Kill-A-Watt meter.

Catzilla Computer Benchmark - Mr. Fox Online Result: 11059

oucE46Ll.jpg

When GTX 880M SLI gets fixed it should do this good or better. Hopefully, it will not be a long wait.

Speaking of the need for dual 330W AC adapters, this pulled over 530W from the wall as shown on my Kill-A-Watt meter.

Catzilla Computer Benchmark - Mr. Fox Online Result: 11059

oucE46Ll.jpg

When GTX 880M SLI gets fixed it should do this good or better. Hopefully, it will not be a long wait.

I have to say that that is very impressive the amount of power that it can draw, and given what you said about the latest A18 offering being castrated to 330W, then I can see why you're fervently pursuing NVidia & Dell with their 880M & A18 fiascos! Long live tweakability & power to the user! ;-)

Thanks, bro. Appreciate the compliment. It's amazing how much power these video cards can draw.

This drew 546W according to my Kill-A-Watt meter...

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2330565

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2330540

Yeah, that's cool. I've requested from svl7 an extension to the 670MX vBIOS that I'm using (and that he provided) so I can use 1.1V and over 1200Mhz on the core. Hoping he can mod it for me. I should be able to get 1200Mhz on my 'measly' 960 cores! ;-) (reckon my GPU would consume just a shade over 100W with that overclock given my current KillaWatt readings)

• Thumbs Up 1

Avoid the latest beta driver. It may kill Slv and John's vbios. It's crippled me left and right for the time being, along with a few other members here and over at NBR.

It works very nicely in my 780m. I ran 3Dmark in a loop and didn't observe temps over 77 Deg C. It's a Sager NP8265-S, but as I said earlier, I'm not going to OC this laptop.

Jason

• Brian featured this topic