- 240W AC Adapter

LCD Options:

- 17.3" FullHD 1920x1080 2D

- 17.3" FullHD 1920x1080 3D, WLED backlight

- 17.3" FHD+ 1600x900 2D

Color Finish:

- Black

- Red

This laptop now uses eDP instead of LVDS for the LCD communication. eDP reduces the wiring footprint, and offers higher speed.

Dell News and more - All about Dell - News, Tips, Tricks, Secrets, and more...

LOL @ 1600x900 option 17" screen. Glad we can have "higher speeds" on garbage screens, tho.

Thanks to widezu69 for finding the photos of the new R4 in of the chinese forums:

DELL

I'll try to keep this first post updated with all the info that we can find about R4.

Edited by unreal25
  • Thumbs Up 6

Yeah, it looks like all the other companies except for Apple pussy out of making these big decisions. If they put a retina display on an MBPs that would be awesome; I would be really tempted to grab one. I just wish they offered a real dock station for it. In the business arena Dell is offering (or at least did last time I checked) Precision laptops with 1920x1080 IPS RGB LED on an 15" screen which could have been useful had they continued with M15x line.

I imagine even at that high resolution high end gaming systems with crossfire 7870M cards might work fine (and probably even current cards like 580m).

Yeah, we want MOAR pixels... I don't really see a reason to get a new system as long as I'd get a lower pixel density... I'm used to my 15.6 inch 1080p and like it, even though more would be better. But there's no way I would spend money on a 17 - 18 inch system with only a 1080p screen. We're in 2012 now and it's really a shame that AW still offers 900p screens... 1080p should be standard for a 17 inch system. Damn, from 2002 up to about 2005 it was possible to get laptops with QXGA resolution - 2048×1536 pixels!!

Technically it's totally possible, and with the new GPU generation upcoming it's not even a bad choice imo. In addition to this upcoming phones are going to have 1080p resolution on screens smaller than 5 inch.

With a 1800p screen we prolly could kiss AA & co goodbye :P

yeah SVL7 i know what you mean i think im planning on buying that Samsung Galaxy S3 when its released and replace my Windows Phone with crappy 480x800 :( or whatever it is. 1080p @ 4.8" HD AMOLED, possible 1.5ghz quad core and if not a 1.8ghz dual core, 2gb ram,16-32gb internal storage :) ceramic backing :) gorilla glass 2 just so many goodies Android ICS. With phones like that coming a m17x and m18x should have one awww inspiring screen until that happens it really makes no sense for you to upgrade SVL7... we would be better off making a Conkers Rig and buying a RGB ICS display :)

Depends which ones you're comparing to. They are OK for consumer type laptops but the funny part is that even Dell XPS consumer line has better screen options. ಠ_ಠ The business class laptops have options for IPS RGB LED (Dell Precision), 95% gamut LED (Thinkpad W5xx) IPS (Thinkpad X2xx) or IPS Dreamcolor (HP Elitebook). The screen on M11x for example is OK, even though again significantly worse than Macbook screens -- I compared them side-by-side with my ex-gf's laptop. Both the resolution and the display quality are still lacking.

If the GPU slot stays the same (MXM 3.0?) you might be able to upgrade the GPU.

Also really wondering about the new chassis design. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Going by what I've been seeing in the tech news, I don't think the 675m will be a rebrand. The leaked GT 640m already has 384 cores like the 580m so the 675m should have significantly more.

• Founder
Going by what I've been seeing in the tech news, I don't think the 675m will be a rebrand. The leaked GT 640m already has 384 cores like the 580m so the 675m should have significantly more.

It's really hard to tell at this point. There's so many rumors and disinformation floating around its hard to discern whats fact and whats bullshit. However, Anandtech's article does shed hope that the entire 6 series is Kepler and not a rebrand.

Just like there was no 580m when the M17x R3 came out. That's just the way it is. We will probably see the M17x R4 first then the M18x R2 will bring in the rear some time later with some big marketing campaign showing off the 680m's in SLi playing Metro Last Light or a new Unreal Engine 4 game.

• 3 weeks later...
;) Thanks Unreal and for closing the other thread. Guys don't the R4 line have benefits of power saving from the new nanometer fabrication shrink on both the cpu and gpu line of things :)? On the GPU the difference will be in the 680m and 7990m when comparing to the AMD 6000 and Nvidia 500 mobile series. The other budget oriented gpus are not real good representations of their desktop counter parts, while they never are they should strive to achieve as close to that as possible. So as usual Nvidia and AMD will both release their top cards late to build hype and milk the market even longer till the next load of not as fast as advertised "next years model" gpus arrive and to once again reveal another late release of their "top cards". I'm interested to see the wattage difference of the two top mobile cards of that line. Not to say one is better than the other for this but AMD seems to use a lot less watts in their cards which I'm not looking for anything right now but perhaps M17x R2 owners might want AMD's new top card in their system and possibly be using less watts a card :) Just watt M17x R2 needs at 240watt PSU :) Then there's Ivy Bridge XM might just blow any previous mobile chips out of the water...? Edited by mw86