[FYI] M17x R2 + 16GB RAM works.

DR650SE

Just got my kit in lastnight. Should have it in tonight. Some testing has been done over at NBR, but just wanted to pass the word along. I asked Reborn to try it and it worked but Dellalienware tried it before I got a chance to post on it :P

Here is a quick screen shot

Laptop Forums and Notebook Computer Discussion

I picked this up for $149 since it had a promo code with it for a limited time. Likes like the promotion is over. It was for $25 off. But since then it's already dropped in price by $5 :rolleyes:

All in all my system is a LOOONG way from stock, but I couldn't be more pleased with it. I replaced all HDDs, RAM, CPU, Added a 1TB inplace of the blu-ray burner, which is now an external blu-ray burner, swaped to a silver chasis and upgraded GPUs. Long live the R2!!

I'll post some screen shots here when I get a chance. Just passing the heads up.

Edited by DR650SE
  • Thumbs Up 5

• Founder
Just got my kit in lastnight. Should have it in tonight. Some testing has been done over at NBR, but just wanted to pass the word along. I asked Reborn to try it and it worked but Dellalienware tried it before I got a chance to post on it :P

Here is a quick screen shot

Laptop Forums and Notebook Computer Discussion

I picked this up for $149 since it had a promo code with it for a limited time. Likes like the promotion is over. It was for $25 off. But since then it's already dropped in price by $5 :rolleyes:

All in all my system is a LOOONG way from stock, but I couldn't be more pleased with it. I replaced all HDDs, RAM, CPU, Added a 1TB inplace of the blu-ray burner, which is now an external blu-ray burner, swaped to a silver chasis and upgraded GPUs. Long live the R2!!

I'll post some screen shots here when I get a chance. Just passing the heads up.

Nice man, so whats the plan with all that ram? What I did is just take the extra 4 GB that came with my system and use the 2 spare slots in the M18x to have a total of 12 GB. Problem is half the ram is hyperx while the other half is samsung 1600 mhz so I can't use the xmp profiles but I think the tradeoff of having more ram is worth it.

I'll be selling mine dual channel 4 stick 1600mhz hyperx selling in their original 2 stick 8gb pairs as soon as the mobile 2133mhz ram comes out. Using 16gb ram is enough for 8gb system, 4gb ramdisk for a 4gb pagefile and 4gb virtual machine if one ever needed and otherwise 12gb would still be for system. 12gb is plenty too 8gb system 4gb ramdisk or 12gb system either way much over 6gb is not as common to us all of it...

So SSG and Brian you have each 12gb in varying chips... SSG's is on the way. So for SSG dual channel won't operate but 1 channel since different ram sizes... But in Brian's case are you operating in single channel too. What impact does that really have. Brian you can always sell original and get second 8gb kit...?

Good times... R2 with more than 8gb ram that's sweet I loved the R2 I had just as much as this M18x if I found one that I could upgrade over time I would get another one.... I plan to do same setup like you DR650Se I plan to external case my blu ray drive and internal optical drive bay one of these 750gb he's that came with it.

Edited by mw86

• Founder

My memory is running in dual channel (but underclocked) since its still matched but the timings are different for Kingston vs Samsung and the Samsung obviously lacks XMP. I haven't seen any loss in performance with the ram running at a lower frequency.

My memory is running in dual channel (but underclocked) since its still matched but the timings are different for Kingston vs Samsung and the Samsung obviously lacks XMP. I haven't seen any loss in performance with the ram running at a lower frequency.

so likely scenario all of them are running one of their timings not separate ones right? HWinfo could tell you a lot in the main window

Nice man, so whats the plan with all that ram? What I did is just take the extra 4 GB that came with my system and use the 2 spare slots in the M18x to have a total of 12 GB. Problem is half the ram is hyperx while the other half is samsung 1600 mhz so I can't use the xmp profiles but I think the tradeoff of having more ram is worth it.

Thanks, I'm thinking of running a few virtual systems. Just to tinker with things. Probably cause me to have to reimage my system a few times. I'll never close another program! :P I'm pretty sure I'll make use of it, but it's always nice to have more than you need. If it's there, it's bound to get used up.

@mw86 , Adding that extra drive was one of the best decisions I've made. I love having everything I need right there at my fingertips with out having to use externals. Though I still back up everything constantly. :P

I just realized, havn't posted here in a while. So the "Like" system was done away with huh?

EDIT: Just realized "Like" was replaced with Thanks :P makes better sense that way. I like that better.

Edited by DR650SE

Thanks, I'm thinking of running a few virtual systems. Just to tinker with things. Probably cause me to have to reimage my system a few times. I'll never close another program! :P I'm pretty sure I'll make use of it, but it's always nice to have more than you need. If it's there, it's bound to get used up.

@mw86 , Adding that extra drive was one of the best decisions I've made. I love having everything I need right there at my fingertips with out having to use externals. Though I still back up everything constantly. :P

I just realized, havn't posted here in a while. So the "Like" system was done away with huh?

EDIT: Just realized "Like" was replaced with Thanks :P makes better sense that way. I like that better.

Well definately, yeah we missed ya here wondered where'd ya been. Can you share a link to the external case and the internal caddy needed that you used... i think im able to use both the same. hehe want my 2 240gb vertex 3 max iops satA 3 on my main ports and one of these 750gb 7.2k Sata 2 in the optical drive bay... i know its sata 1 thats sufficient for my uses i am putting apps on it but older ones not worthy of SSD.

Check the link in my sig - the 1TB Internal. Everything is right there :D OK and I have a similiar setup. I split my RAID 0. Now one is an Win7/Linux/Apps drive, and the other is a gaming SSD. The Gaming SSD is like 90% full :P but since I don't write to that drive I don't worry about over filling it.

OK very rusty with all this hardware stuff, yes I got 8GB ram but its 2 4GB sticks, I am putting that in the underside slots as its easy to access compared to the under keyboard area. Now I thought each bank was a channel so that the 8GB I am installing would run dual channel in bank 1 and bank 2 which will still have the 2 2GB samsung would run as normal. OK I said that totally wrong. what I am trying to say is that out of the 4 slots avail each pair would run in dual channel or something like that. I really need to brush up on my hardware stuff, playing around with android all the stuff I went though not having a computer I have forgotten to much.

[MENTION=305]Staff Sargent[/MENTION] i think for example

i think bank 1,2 are under base cover and bank 3,4 is the one under keyboard... when installing pairs of matched ram like a kit use both in 1,2 or 3,4 dont split the pairs up since testing was done to be sure each matched each other specifically... unless you want dual channel mode using only two ram sticks... in this case its fine to put 1 from kit in dimm1 and one in dimm 3...

bank 1,2 1 4gb stick and bank 3,4 none is single channel on all

bank 1,2 1 4gb stick and bank 3,4 1 4gb stick is dual channel on all

bank 1,2 2 4gb stick and bank 3,4 2 4gb stick is dual channel on all

bank 1,2 2 4gb stick and bank 3,4 1 4gb stick and 1 2gb stick is single channel on all

bank 1,2 2 4gb stick and bank 3,4 1 4gb stick is single channel on all

bank 1,2 2 4gb 1600mhz rated chip and bank 3,4 2 4gb 1333mhz rated chip should run dual channel @ 1333mhz on all

bank 1,2 2 4gb 1600mhz rated chip and bank 3,4 1 4gb 1600mhz rated chip 1 4gb 1333mhz rated chip should run at 1333mhz dual channel on all

bank 1,2 2 4gb 1600mhz rated chip and bank 3,4 1 4gb 1600mhz rated chip should run at single channel 1600mhz on all

bank 1,2 2 4gb 1600mhz rated chip and bank 3,4 1 4gb 1333mhz rated chip should run at single channel 1333mhz on all

Edited by mw86

just ordered a pair of Corsair 16GB (2X8GB) Memory Kit 1333MHz DDR3 SO-DIMM 204pin CMSO16GX3M2A1333C9

will arrive nxt tuesday so i able to write a review really exited. i using a lot of vmware with different os like mac os x 10.7 different linux distros... ect.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just arrived today... :D is working

post-357-14494992304658_thumb.jpg

BTW my bios show only 0MB ??? But in windows Server 2008 R2 no problem I love it. I guess the bios is designed only for 8GB and cannot display a 2 digit number there??? Strange.

Delivery only took 3 days i ordered on weekend... not bad.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just arrived today... :D is working

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3267[/ATTACH]

BTW my bios show only 0MB ??? But in windows Server 2008 R2 no problem I love it. I guess the bios is designed only for 8GB and cannot display a 2 digit number there??? Strange.

Delivery only took 3 days i ordered on weekend... not bad.

Nice,

Yea the bios has no entry for 16GB because at the time the R2 was designed there was no 8GB RAM sticks available.