Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

Hi,

im trying to get a Sonnet Echo Express III-D working with a ThinkPad W540 (Thunderbolt). The Sonnet Echo is detected (Windows 8.1) and i get an (error 31). I installed the Nvidia drivers and used eGPU Setup to disable the dGPU (K2100M). The Graphics-card was recognized as GTX780 with no errors anymore, but i can't get any display output (tried DVI and HDMI). Sometimes the eGPU-Setup shows the Sonnet Echo, but not as eGPU just as PCI port, so i can't make any compaction.

-

Any ideas?

dsdt.zip

Sure, tell me if I miss something.

Notebook model: Acer V3-571 series

CPU: Intel Core i5 3210M

iGPU: Intel 4000 only, no nVidia iGPU inside.

eGPU kit: PE4H V2.4 mPCIe + PCIEMM-060A and B

VGA: Club3D Radeon R9 270X

Power supply: Scythe 500W

Setting up

With the PCIEMM-060A cable, I was unable to run @2.0, as soon the VGA needs to process something more heavy a BSOD pops out. But there was no major problems running @1.0 except for performance loss or some unstable FPS on some games.

The setup 1.x process was:

Got the VGA ID;

Force linkspeed to Gen 1 on eGPU(VGA) port;

Run PCI Compactation and choose the first 36-bit option avaliable. And chose to apply only on eGPU;

- 32-bit options somethimes get stuck on a black screen before the chainload starts.

startup.bat

call speedup lbacache

call iport gen1 2

call vidwait 60 [VGA ID]

call pci

:end

call chainload mbr

Using the PCIEMM-060B cable I only changed to force Gen 2 on the eGPU port, no changes on other options.

[Running @1.0]

3D Mark 06 AMD Radeon R9 270X video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-3210M Processor,Acer VA50_HC_CR

3D Mark 11 AMD Radeon R9 270X video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-3210M Processor,Acer VA50_HC_CR

[Running @2.0]

3D Mark 06 AMD Radeon R9 270X video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-3210M Processor,Acer VA50_HC_CR

3D Mark 11 AMD Radeon R9 270X video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-3210M Processor,Acer VA50_HC_CR

GPU-Z Screenshot http://forum.techinferno.com/attachments/diy-e-gpu-projects/11149-1.png

I don't understand how to force running at 2.0 or 1.0. This:

Got the VGA ID;

Force linkspeed to Gen 1 on eGPU(VGA) port;

Run PCI Compactation and choose the first 36-bit option avaliable. And chose to apply only on eGPU;

- 32-bit options somethimes get stuck on a black screen before the chainload starts.

I have an acer aspire 5741 (intel version). PCIe is supported till v1.1 (checked with HWINFO64)

Also, your .BAT file didn't work for me:

post-20332-14494997999073_thumb.png

Running Win 8.1 pro x64

I didn't get the large memory thing there.

I followed everything (my DSDT had 10 errors, it fixed 9)

It looks like it succeed but it didn't.

Error:

4724 Error Invalid object for reserved name (found ZERO, requires Package)

how to fix? (because the fix button doesn't fix it)

DSDTOverride.zip

My other topic has been deleted (or moved and I can not find it anymore, the old link doesn't work) and I still can not figure out how to use the PE4L.

What I have:

1. Acer Aspire 5741 (i3-350M, no dGPU)

2. PE4L v2.1b PM060A

3. 350W PSU

4. Club 3D Radeon HD 6450

5. DIY Setup 1.30 3a

My problem:

When the PE4L is connected with the gpu and it is on, I can not boot my laptop. The SSHD spins and after 1 sec it stops and reboots the laptop (reboot loop).

What I tried:

Change the timers/switches, all combinations (Still can not boot)

Startup pc and turn on the PE4L as soon as I get the gray screen (LED screen turn on) (No GPU seen in device manager exept iGPU)

Since I can not boot with the PE4L, the DIY setup is kinda useless since it doesn't recognize the eGPU when powered on after the gray screen.

I've read that I can boot with my wireless card, put laptop to sleep and then insert the PE4L, power it on and then wake the laptop. I didn't tried this.

Is there an alternative for that option? (In case if this won't work)

I believe that I need to run this two-pass script in order to get an x2E link. In the fourth Note it says to download and save the following but I think the link is broken. Does anyone have this file? Can I just re-type the provided script into my STARTUP.BAT file while in Setup1.x? Thanks

• Second Method: two-pass script in STARTUP.BAT (Source: Tech Inferno Fan - Older revision can be found here)
    Spoiler

You'd need a two-pass 'automated startup via startup.bat' (configstartup.bat) like below since you have to reboot to get a x2 link going midstream.

1 Change the PCI-IDS (marked in RED) to your eGPU PCI-IDS. 2 If using mPCIe Port3 & Port4, change "call iport x2 1" (marked in BLUE) to "call iport x2 3" 3 If using mPCIe Port3 & Port4, change "p1" (marked in GREEN) to "p3" 4 Requirement - Please download the following and save it as corevidwait.bat in eGPU-Setup image: VIDWAIT.BAT

:: set var myeGPU to be PCID of the eGPU
    set myeGPU=1002:6898
    :: Enable cache to speedup startup.bat runtime
    call speedup lbacache
    :: Enable x2 on port1
    call iport x2 1
    :: Prompt to attach the eGPU if it's not detected
    call vidwait 60 %myeGPU%
    :: If find eGPU then skip to myeGPU_found below
    if NOT errorlevel 1 goto myeGPU_found
    :: If don't find eGPU then issue msg and reboot
    call wait_e 2 "No eGPU detected. Rebooting."

reboot

:myeGPU_found :: Check if the eGPU is running a x2 link on port1 call iport scan -file ports.txt grep "p1@x2.1 %myeGPU%@x2.1" ports.txt > nul :: If find x2 link then skip to x2_link_found below if NOT errorlevel 1 goto x2_link_found :: If no x2 link found then issue msg and reboot

del ports.txt call wait_e 2 "No x2 link detected. Rebooting."

reboot

:x2_link_found :: [email protected] detected so run pci.bat + chainload if exist pci.bat call pci call grub4dos mbr [/LIST]

Hi @Solomun,

May I know how you able to install both internal and external graphic card driver? I tried to install using the AMD released driver and software, but error pops up. :( Driver manager didnt show any error, but my external monitor is blank.

Thanks

Has it got to do with older Nvidia cardshaving lower PCI memory allocation requirement?

Im trying to get a DSDT override working but i stuck with 2 errors in my DSDT maybe someone can help here?

DSDT is attached. I really dont know any other possible solution. Old cards are working and new card (tested GTX 680 and 780) arent.

Windows 7 = same problem.

dsdt_new = fresh extracted

dsdt = fixed with DSDT editor and patcher (2errors left)

dsdt_new.zip

dsdt.zip

Ok fixed the DSDT but now im stuck with Bluescreens... Looks like i have to use the K2100M on the W540 :26_002:

Diags attached if anyone wants to help.

So, I tried the EC setup on the w540 using a v6 GDC , and have similar results. The laptop detects and shows the card ( a 750TI) in the device manager. However when i connect a monitor to the card nothing displays. I have the onboard k2100m disabled in windows 8 and still no go. Any suggestions from anyone ?

So I've fixed my pe4l with the swap trick:

Boot laptop with wifi card, put it into sleep, swap wifi card with pe4l, and then wake pc (jumpers set to: SW1: 3, SW2: 2/3 SWEX: 2/3) (now the PSU and PE4L will startup when the laptop wakes)

My stuff:

Acer Aspire 5741 (i3-350M) win 8.1 x64

PE4L v2.1b

Club 3D radeon HD 6450 Passive cooling (20% oc, I attached a fan, works great)

280W Noise killer PSU (Soooo silent)

I've installed the latest beta drivers from the AMD website for my HD 6450, the GPU works great.

I've not thought that the performance would hit that high since I have PCIE v1.1, I get 70 FPS at minecraft (almost all max) at 1680x1050 while it run at 85 FPS on my friends pc (with a quadcore AMD CPU) @1080p.

However 1080p vids on youtube seems laggy (using HTML 5 and 8mb download internet, good enough for 1080p)

But now there is a problem, the performance could be better with catalyst control center (since I can not "lower" the settings and turn off vsync)

Firstly I had CLI.exe error, now this error doesn't popup.

I do right click on desktop, open catalyst control center and nothing happens (even after 10 minutes, no sign of Catalyst in task manager)

How can I fix this problem?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.