M17x R3 vs Asus G74\3 question

atekk920

I recently had a couple of friends over for a "laptop showdown" M17xR3 vs Asus G74\3 (i cant remember if it was G74 or G73) vs XPS 17. The XPS 17 really never even stood a chance, but I must regretfully say that my buddies G74\3 bested my R3 in almost every game even at higher resolutions! - is there perhaps some optimization I'm missing out on, or is the G74\3 just a better machine? the "tests" were fairly primitive and went like this....load up a game, make our settings match identically, then play and figure out an estimated average fps. In all situations his 460m was about 5 - 10 FPS better then my 560m....even when he bumped up to 1080p (1920 x 1080) vs my 900p (1600 x900) he still pushed better FPS - Even when sporting a fairly large overclock my card just couldn't keep up. Real basic rundown of specs is below. Any help is appreciated.

HIS

i7 2670 (2.6Ghz)

8GB DDr3 1600 (stock)

GTX460m 1.5GB

OCZ SSD

MINE

i7 2670 (2.6Ghz)

8GB DDR3 1600 (HyperX w\XMP)

GTX560m 1.5GB

Seagate Hybrid SSD

• Founder

Hard to say without knowing which software you tested and what methods you used to quantify you results. Based on specifications, your system should be faster than his in all games and benchmarks. Try running a standard benchmark like 3DMark vantage or 3DMark 11 and compare. Also be sure both of you are using the latest verde drivers.

The games we ran were as follows

Battlefield 3

Borderlands

Black Ops

MW3

Skyrim

MW3 was about even, but he bested me on all others - We also verified that each of us were running the Verde driver version 285.62. I've heard others say that my OC is too high and may actually be causing GPU throttling, do you think there is merit in that conclusion? I'll see if we can get together and run 3DMark sometime and post the results as they come.

Maybe he overclocked the hell out of his GPU... ??

Also, were you on battery or AC?

Edit: Got ninja'd... lol. You can make a GPU-Z log to find out whether your video card is throttling.

Bring him here and he can compete against my M18X. :D

Run either vantage or 3dm11 and post the result, that should give you somewhere to start.

Also, as above, you were plugged in right? And with all the power saving "stuff" disabled?

Thats why i think there may be an issue - this is 560m. I confirmed the clocks with Afterburner on screen display - one thing I did notice is that even after an hour or so of gameplay the temp on my GPU even while overclocked never really exceeds 72 degrees. That why this whole thing baffles me.... and since my bro started a new job its hard to reach him, does anyone have benches from an ROG G74\3 on hand? id like to line them up and see how it looks

My laptop performs well - it does, but this was an upgrade from the m14x (3.0GB GT555) and i really dont see alot of difference as far as FPS. I just think I should be getting better out of this rig. Does anyone agree or am i just trippin.