EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
wejgomi

GTX 970M Black Screen in Windows 10

Hi,

Long time member and even longer a lurker. I've modded and OC'ed various GPU's using the vbios' shared in the forums, however I'm having problem with the 970M 3gb, which I've gathered recently from ebay. I hope it hasn't been asked a zillion times.

I bought a 970M 3gb model which goes by the model name MS-1W0J1, and been trying to get it working on an Alienware M18x r2. I've successfully installed the card and it seemed to work plug and play. The card is recognised by BIOS and I get video output in startup menus, both in EFI and LEGACY modes(I'm using Swick's latest bios for this model).

However, there seems to be a problem when installing the Geforce drivers(both 380&390) in Windows 10, as the screen goes black instantly when the driver has been updated. I can't get any video output in Windows, and the only option is to switch to integrated card and remove the drivers.

I've seen different mods and modded vbios' for 970M cards, but none seems to be for the 3gb model. I wonder if there is a way to set-up this card on this hardware and flash a compatible CLEVO vbios to get it running without issues. Current vBIOS is attached.

Thanks in advance,

Wejgomi

GM204.rom

Edited by wejgomi
Bios added

You could ask for a 3GB version in the corresponding Maxwell VBIOS thread. Anyway, I would recommend you to uninstall all VGA drivers of both the iGPU and the nvida drivers, then freshly installing the iGPU drivers first followed by nvidia drivers.

49 minutes ago, sirana said:

You could ask for a 3GB version in the corresponding Maxwell VBIOS thread. Anyway, I would recommend you to uninstall all VGA drivers of both the iGPU and the nvida drivers, then freshly installing the iGPU drivers first followed by nvidia drivers.

Thanks for your reply. I tried uninstalling both drivers using DDU to no avail. I already have the iGPU disabled in BIOS and soon as I re-install the drivers using modified inf, the screen goes black again. I believe this is not a driver-related issue as I have tried other OS'es as ubuntu and OSX, yet the problem persists.

4 hours ago, wejgomi said:

Thanks for your reply. I tried uninstalling both drivers using DDU to no avail. I already have the iGPU disabled in BIOS and soon as I re-install the drivers using modified inf, the screen goes black again. I believe this is not a driver-related issue as I have tried other OS'es as ubuntu and OSX, yet the problem persists.

Well, I am 99% sure you MUST have the iGPU enabled, install Intel HD drivers, then install Nvidia's GeForce drivers. As far as I know it has always been this way with Optimus-Notebooks. Without the Intel HD drivers nothing works :D

The m18x R2 can choose between the igpu (called IGFX in bios) and dgpu (called PEG in bios) as the primary gpu. What is it currently set to?

Ideally you want the bios set to PEG for optimal performance, and if I remember right there's a bios issue that makes PEG only work in UEFI boot.

If PEG doesn't work though, then try IGFX

Yes, the GFX setting is set to PEG and I'm booting Windows 10 in UEFI mode. What's weird is after many restarts, the screen came up in Windows randomly. I'm not sure if everything is OK now and bit afraid to restart again to try, but I guess I'm having the issue of black screen after cold boot/hibernate which has been discussed in some topics.

I am running 369.0 drivers with modified .inf(else won't install) and I also tried the GFX setting in AUTO mode but same result. Thanks.

Edit: No, the problem is actually the opposite. I still get the same black screen no matter how I cold/hot boot or restart and the trick is to let the computer go to sleep and when it wakes up, it comes back with the screen. Go figure :)

Edited by wejgomi
New argument

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By ReverseEffect
      3dMark11 Performance Preset Benchmark: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11262792

Required items:
      1.) Lenovo u310 (I have a Core i3 - Ivy Bridge, 8GB RAM)
      2.) 65CN99WW unwhitelisted.
      3.) eGPU (I used a EVGA GTX 750 Ti from another computer I had).
      4.) EXP GDC mPCIe Edition adapter (got from eBay - banggood seller).
      5.) ATX power supply (I used a 600W PSU from another computer I had).
      6.) USB wireless.
      7.) External monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Steps:
      1.) Obtain and install a unwhitelisted BIOS. If you are unable to obtain a unwhitelist BIOS, I think it might be possible to bypass it with Tech Inferno Fan's Setup 1.x (may need confirmation as I haven't used it myself yet.)
      2.) Shutdown computer and remove all USB devices, ethernet cables, power cables, card reader cards.
      3.) Remove mPCIe wireless card and detach antennas.

4.) Attach EXP GDC external mPCIe cable to the former wireless slot and screw down.

5.) Attach HDMI end of the mPCIe cable adapter to the EXP GDC device.

6.) Attach graphics card to the EXP GDC device (I moved my laptop off the desk and onto the side shelf to make room on the desk for the monitor/keyboard/mouse).

7.) Using the power cable adapters that came with the EXP GDC device, I hooked in my ATX power supply's 20 pin and CPU 4 pin cables. Then hooked the other end (8 pin) into the EXP GDC device. My EVGA 750 Ti also required that I use an additional PCIe power cable (6 pin) in the top of the card.

8.) Then I attached my misc devices (HDMI monitor, USB keyboard/mouse/wireless adapter), and hooked in my PSU and powered it on (below is image of final product, also moved HDMI cable out of the way).

9.) Power on your computer and let it install the standard VGA drivers and then install your drivers (I didn't have to go in the BIOS for any graphics settings, which it doesn't have anyways, nor did I have to disable iGPU in Device Manager before the card was added).

Extra Info:
      I found that most games will play on med settings with about 45 FPS with this particular card.
      BDO: Upscale on - Anti Aliasing on - SSAO off - med settings.
      Skyrim: Med-High settings.
      Fallout 4: Med settings.

(EDIT 5/19/2016) > Images added.

• By pippocarlot
      Hello everyone! I am looking for an answer to a problem I cannot find a solution to ... I purchased an Amd wx 4150 MXM GPU module su e bay to upgrade my HP 8570W Mobile Workstation which is currently equipped with a Fire Pro M4000. Once the new GPU has been installed, the PC screen no longer turns on but works only with external monitors connected via the docking station. The same happens once the drivers are updated! If I put the old card back on, the integrated monitor starts working again ... How can I fix it?
    • By Lisa Scott
      Sometimes, our Computer becomes very slow and gives tough time to make work on it. This makes slow because of hard drive holding the plenty of data, files. So, to make faster speed clear the some space.
      Some background applications or programs running make computer slow.
      Remove or disable any TSRs and startup programs that automatically start each time the computer boots. 
      Scan for Malware and Adware, if your system infected by them.
      Uninstall Programs You Don’t Use

• By learnfromit
      alienware 15 r2 970m with i7-6700hq vbios request so i can overclock and mess with voltage.

BIOS version backup made with techpowerup GPU-z.

GM204.rom

or can someone re direct me to one already made that will work? all links i find are dead, thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.