Intel NUC6i7KYK + GTX1060@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10 [benjaminlsr]

On 11/8/2016 at 9:57 AM, benjaminlsr said:

Amazing difference, fans blowing hot air outside (72°) instead of fresh air inside (82°) !

eGPU.png.e7487f38aa5fd55ef9780fc484d010b7.png

oc1_result.PNG

oc2_result.PNG

Never Run FURMARK on any GPU. It is is very bad for the GPU and manufacturers have throttles / detections for when FURMARK is used.

• 1 month later...
On 16/09/2016 at 7:32 PM, benjaminlsr said:

Hi @Splitframe. I need to check toonight but I think you can gain 20mm yes.

Guys, just to let you know, I'm selling my Thunder2 Plug & Play solution here.

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/302068524539?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

out.PNG

@benjaminlsr Still selling your akitio?

Edited by ernesttu
notifications

Hi all,

Following @benjaminlsr's setup, I'd like to ask if this minimal setup will work the same.

I try to avoid any soldering with this configuration. Having the 6-pin power goes straight to the card leaves me to keep the Akitio case opened. It also gives more air into the box so that I don't have to cut a hole for the fan, as i don't have the tool either.

I am not familiar with Dell DA-2 as there are many versions of it, such as this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/322238468834. What am I supposed to looking at here?

Also I am not sure if the PCIe cable quality matters to transport the power. I mean if they are cheap one are they going to burn out due to high power or something?

Any suggestion is welcomed, especially to ease my setup. Thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

@benjaminlsr Hey, I really like the way you mod your case and I'm planning to mod my Akitio Thunder 3, like you did. Any tips for the cutting a hole of 110mm in the aluminum case. I found some hole saw online, but they vary a lot in price and in US seems like 110 mm not easy to find, there is this from china very cheap on ebay, not sure if worth using.  

I'm not planing to add fans on the back like you did, hopefully won't get too hot. I change the direction of the original fan though. I have an EVGA GTX 1060 SC.

Thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, DSaul said:

@benjaminlsr Hey, I really like the way you mod your case and I'm planning to mod my Akitio Thunder 3, like you did. Any tips for the cutting a hole of 110mm in the aluminum case. I found some hole saw online, but they vary a lot in price and in US seems like 110 mm not easy to find, there is this from china very cheap on ebay, not sure if worth using.  

I'm not planing to add fans on the back like you did, hopefully won't get too hot. I change the direction of the original fan though. I have an EVGA GTX 1060 SC.

Thanks

Well, in France I had to order the 110mm drill on amazon. Nothing specific here, just make sure it is made for metal and it should get ride of the chassis in few minutes.

Once drilled, just make sure to align the 120mm grid and while in place, start drilling one by one the four screw hole.

Try to make that proper, BUT, in case you misalign some of those screw holes, don't worry to much as the fan grid can be twisted a bit.

Honestly, my two PWM fans plugged to the GPU fan are a bit, overkill..

I wanted to go through my idea just because it was fun and I learnt a lot doing it.

what you can do by the way is doing it with only one PWM fan.

let us know how it goes !

• 3 weeks later...

Just finishing modding the Akitio Thunder 3 case.

Thanks to @benjaminlsr for sharing his project, and helping with mine.

The temperatures doesn't go beyond 68 degrees. Running benchmarks on ultra and retina display resolution.

Made circular cut with a hole saw from ebay, (cheapest one from china 110mm), and regular driller. Also some WD-40 to lubricate.  Was easer them I expected. After that, I sanded the border to make it smooth. Then, drilled the holes for the screws from the fan grill (120mm).

I didn't exchange the fan, just turned it around to flow out of the hot air. I wish I could change to a better, less noisy one, but with the EVGA card you don't have any space left (original fan is 20mm). The Zotac version seems like you can fit a 25mm fan.

For the cable, because didn't want to deal with welding, I used a low profile 6-pin I found on ebay so I could close the case. Also made small cut in the back to pass cable through so I could close the back of enclosure as well.

Really liked the end result. I'm sharing some pics.

Links of what I used:

Hole saw: http://www.ebay.com/itm/391626405442?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Fan grill: http://www.ebay.com/itm/351212949553?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Low 6-pin: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261567563062?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

IMG_5668.JPG

IMG_5669.JPG

IMG_5670.JPG

IMG_5672.JPG

IMG_5673.JPG

IMG_5674.JPG

IMG_5676.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I bought this cable. After I made a hole in the back of the case with a $20 grinder I got at the local chineses import tool shack, it worked great. I just use it without the cover until I got the tool. I found it by searching for a Akitio Power cable with google search

Akitio Thunder Cable from Kareon.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice work. I have a Skull canyon nuc with EVGA GTX 1050 ti SC in a Akitio thunder2 PCIe box. Running on Windows 10 Pro. I've been trying to get it to work but kept getting code 43 errors and code 12 errors. I went on epgu forums (DSDT override eGPU) and tried all their options. Even bought *********'s software(had to do a clean wipe and convert it to mbr to make the software to work). Still nothing, *********'s DIY 1.35 couldnt find my eGPU.

Is yours booted in UEFI or mbr? Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks a bunch.

• 3 months later...