Review: E-Win Champion Series Gaming Chair Read more... ×
EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
timohour

Is your old Celeron cooler ready for the dumpster?

ISj0XV5.jpg

All started when my brother's ASUS H61 motherboard died and I got his Celeron G540 (socket 1155). I also had an mITX case with a dead custom PSU that I don't intend to fix (Hantol HC ITX02).

He now needs another PC in his bookshop, so, I decided to buy a cheap mITX 1155 socket motherboard that would use an External power brick. And I found a great deal on a Lenovo m91p motherboard @ 22$ plus shipping. Or so I thought. This motherboard uses non reference cooler holes making it impossible to fit the stock Intel cooler (or any other cooler that I had laying around and would fit the case).

GnfwDfv.jpg

So I decided to use the old cooler from a Celeron D 330 (2.66GHz) a friend gave me after his motherboard died...

M5OskHr.jpg

It seems to have a big amount of aluminum in the middle and have aluminum fins... It just needed some trimming on the side cause there are some capacitors.

3jJs9gb.jpg

I kind of hooked it on the motherboard using an 14" fan protector I got from a dead Thermaltake and some M3 screws and nuts.

lCMRykt.jpg

fsxoEfF.jpg

kL6JgJt.jpg

Add  some MX2 the old stock Intel cooler on top of it and the results where ~ 26C @ idle and ~52C @ full load (using stress on Fedora 22). Pretty solid!

QLG18iJ.jpg

I then decided to add an silent 92mm Scythe fan and the results where even better ~20-21C @ idle and ~ 45C @ full load...

shsH6vR.jpg

IYiI81y.jpg

0uJI0Zt.jpg

I lastly tried to use it passively, after an hour idle temperature was merely @ 66C and It took 30min of full load for the temperature to reach 100C.

This means that I can probably run it with one or two case fans only. This will be tested.

The results show that the old Celeron's D (73W rated TDP) had some pretty solid cooling solutions, that you may want to mod and use for cheap projects like this.
I don't have an 1155 4C to test, but i am pretty sure that this cooler would outperform even the Copper Intel stock cooler shipped with these CPUs.

More pictures with subs...

http://imgur.com/a/DbOLW

Edited by timohour

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Henrik9979
      First I want to thank the community, who have inspired me to do this project.
      I will give you guys the chance to follow me on this journey.

I hope you will all help me come up with ideas, techniques and parts that could become handy.

This modding may be possible to convert to allot of laptops.

Let's begin!
      Here is the measurement of the went hole.
      77mm X 16mm

I have 2 ideas for what can be done.

• By BlazingBrandon
      I own a Clevo P151SM1 that I bought in a hurry last year after my Alienware died on me. It's done a good job of playing everything I've thrown at it but lately, it's been shutting itself off when I play certain games or graphics-heavy programs. When idle it sits around 38C which is great. But when I get into a game it skyrockets up to 97C as the last recorded temp before it shuts itself off. I've cleaned the fans and keep it on an elevated cooling pad (no fans on the pad cause I broke them) but it gets plenty of air. I know that 97C is probably damaging the card and I don't want that. Does it look like I'm going to have to repaste it?  I've attached my latest readings if that would help. 
      HWMonitor.rar
    • By IAmNotReallyHere86
      Since I switched over to a single card I have all this extra space and a heat sink and fan no longer in use. 

I was wondering if there would be a cheap alternative to buying the duel/6 pipe heat-sink - It is pretty expensive.

Is there a way to mod/bridge the one two I have now . I attached a photo of what it looked like before I switched to a single card. Basically the right (slave) is empty. 

Of course I am not expecting a mod that would work as good as the 6-pipe heat sink built for my system. But it would be cool if I could use what I have and get my temps a little lower. 

• By AleksR17x
      After messing with my Toshiba Qosmio this is where the fun starts for me.
      Hopefully someone else can also use some of this info for their own cooling mods.

So i got this M17x R4 with a broken screen.
      I7 3610, 8 gigs ram, 7970M etc.

Colors were all 70s psycho (LCD panel was cracked)
      Replaced almost the whole laptop with new parts, brand new 120hz screen, brand new 3920xm, almost new Gtx 880M Oem dell from an M18.
      New SSD drive among other things.

The question presents itself, how to cool the thing down some more.

I took out the Cpu heatsink, added another Pipe. Turns out the ones i had was too short and fluid filled.
      Had to use my biggest iron and solder it shut before using epoxy on it to be sure. 

Grinded off some rough edges and smoothed out the transition where the fins are.
      This Metal epoxy is doing an alright job transferring heat from the core pad to the fins aswell.

I thought about buying the M17x R5 4 pipe cpu heatsink on ebay and modify it to fit.
      I wont dremel off the aluminum bracket (upper left in this image) to make the 4th pipe fit, because then the lower cover will be losing out on a clip.
      I hate loose panels so will look into cutting the 4th pipe on the 4 pipe cooler just before it reaches the chassis.
      As you can see in the picture i need to grind off a piece of the aluminum just over the inner bend to make the most out of the 4th pipe if i go that route later

And so to the GPU, there is hardly enough room to fit a pipe over these three. I ordered 10 or so packets of heatsinks and coolers from some small gaming notebooks, i will get this next month.
      Im thinking a wide pipe that i bring to a friend of mine for flat machine pressing, or a cnc machined flat piece of aluminum over here. I dont think The ebay R5 - 5 pipe will work with the stock bottom as is.

The GPU fan, i will buy a packet of small "P" gaskets and show you what i mean with forced cold air induction tomorrow.
      Im not an engineer, but why add the hole under the keyboard. Hot air goes up not down.
      On the Qosmio adding the gasket around the Fan and blocking the upper nonsense vent lowered the temps by quite a few degrees C

And finally the gaps around the fins, there will be some of the same gasket here.
      No need to waste precious airflow from this (in my mechanical world) puny fan.

In this image you can see the bracket covering the inner Pipe, so a straight flat pipe will do it or the machined piece im thinking about.
      Also around the edges of the fins around 5 pct of the airflow is returning back into the case. And what the heck were they thinking when they made the heatsink fins naked at the bottom leaking hot air everywhere.
      Even Toshiba knew they hat to cover it to keep air flowing the right way.. outside of the case.

-------------------------
      To be continued
      ------------------------

• By MC-Sammer
      Over the last month or so, I've been planning on overhauling my (slightly dated) P157SM to give it better cooling, and possibly higher performance.

There were a number of sources I used for inspiration, and I'll attempt to document all of them later on, but first, pictures!

This is the first modification I made. I increased the opening of the CPU fan to allow more air to go into the fan. As I recall, it helped with idle temperatures but I don't remember by how much.
      This picture shows how much I increased the opening by, I didn't do just that bit and stop

Next up, I increased the width of the intakes directly over the GPU and CPU to reduce ambient heat buildup in those areas.

I ultimately decided that increasing the width was not the best route to go (and it was quite ugly) so I decided to simply remove the vents

I used some diamond mesh to cover those areas, but I don't have any pictures of that at the moment.

Next I used some HVAC tape to direct the air flow from the CPU fan into the heatsink and not out the tiny gaps in the area.

Then I swapped out the heatsinks (originally I ordered this from XoticPC and went with their copper cooling upgrade (I was young(er)) for some bigger ones.

Everything is all nice and snug

And finally with the lid back on.

With the changes made between cutting the vents, and the last picture, I was able to drop load CPU temps ~5C which I thought was pretty nice.

My goal is to also get rid of the vent over the fan, but I haven't found time to do it. I'm also planning on lapping the GPU heatsink, which will, again, take time.

I'll post more updates as I make them (and post the benchmarks I've already done).

Update:
      GPU Work:
      So I have a 780M at the moment (I'm planning on going to a 980M, though I may just wait for the Pascal GPU's to come out) and I decided to lap the heatsink, since I'm planning on overclocking it.

Fresh of the block

400 Grit (10 minutes)

600 Grit (10 minutes)

800 Grit (10 minutes)

1000 grit (7 Minutes)

1200 Grit (7 Minutes)

1500 grit (about 25 minutes for this stage)

And I thought it looked pretty smooth. One of my references mentioned cutting off the little tabs on the block, since they're mostly there for adding additional pressure (since the plate is usually warped)  and I wanted to just lap the area directly over the GPU die (plus I don't really have a good place for grinding copper with my rotary tool).

For the paste I used http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/thermal-compound/mastergel-maker/ which I went with based on the favorable review posted at http://www.play3r.net/reviews/cooling/cooler-master-master-gel-maker-nano-thermal-paste-performance/ and the pads are Fujipoly high end (didn't think I'd need to go ultra).

I also added some little sinks on to the heatpipes, though they might be suspect (more on that in the results below).

And I sealed up a gap in the fan to direct more airflow through the larger fins.

I also used from more HVAC tape to try to prevent ambient air from being drawn in to the fans, but this too might be suspect (it might be needed to draw it away, since where else is the heat from all those fins supposed to go?)

And the results are... interesting...
      pre upgrade
      post upgrade

So the initial benchmark had a 5C drop in temperature, but the following results aren't as promising.
      In fact, the stress test results appears to be higher (I'm speculating that it'd be over 86C by 400 seconds).

I'm thinking that either the added heatsinks on the heatpipes are dispersing the heat before it can get to the fins, my lapping job wasn't so great, or I added too much TIM. I may try the washer trick from the p150 cooling threat mentioned below, but I'm spent on energy for this weekend.

June 3rd update
      I finally got back around to working on my clevo some more and after a third re-pasting my temps are down (taking into account that today is hotter than when I first tested)

I suspect that my older paste jobs were either too thick, or I bent the heatpipe and kinda threw the plate out of alignment.

Inspiration:
      Modding my clevo in general:
      http://null-bin.blogspot.com/2015/04/extensive-clevo-p150sm-cooling-and.html
      Sealing up the gaps in the fins:

Additional cooling ideas:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.