Jump to content
svl7

NVIDIA Maxwell VBIOS mods - 900m series overclocking versions

Recommended Posts

Hey guys! I have an Alienware 17r3 with the GTX 980m 8gb flavor, I have been attempting to flash my vbios with the .rom file provided here in the download section "rev.0". I made it through to the very end when I was supposed to flash the custom vbios and all I get is [ I/O ERROR: Cannot open file: BIOS.rom ] The only thing I think I might be missing is if I need to make the .Rom file into an Iso or not? I've read multiple different guides on here some from 2009 though and now I'm a little confused the first guide I read didn't use any kind of bootable drive it was all through cmd prompt, but then I see a couple others talking about converting it to an iso and putting it on a bootable thumb drive and so now I'm just lost.

I would very much appreciate anyone's wisdom on here since I'm pretty sure I'm destroying the environment with how many files ive downloaded and worked on trying to get this worked around. 

EXTRA INFO: I am also using the (m)nvflash utility provided in the same thread as the vbios file, it is running as administrator. new rom I'm trying to flash is named BIOS.rom

SPECS: AW17r3 / i7-6700HQ / 980m 8gb / 16gb ram / 1920x1080 / 1tb 7.2k HDD and (2) 256gb nvme ssd. System Bios: 1.4.4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2018 at 12:11 AM, Suitercrew said:

Hey guys! I have an Alienware 17r3 with the GTX 980m 8gb flavor, I have been attempting to flash my vbios with the .rom file provided here in the download section "rev.0". I made it through to the very end when I was supposed to flash the custom vbios and all I get is [ I/O ERROR: Cannot open file: BIOS.rom ] The only thing I think I might be missing is if I need to make the .Rom file into an Iso or not? I've read multiple different guides on here some from 2009 though and now I'm a little confused the first guide I read didn't use any kind of bootable drive it was all through cmd prompt, but then I see a couple others talking about converting it to an iso and putting it on a bootable thumb drive and so now I'm just lost.

I would very much appreciate anyone's wisdom on here since I'm pretty sure I'm destroying the environment with how many files ive downloaded and worked on trying to get this worked around. 

EXTRA INFO: I am also using the (m)nvflash utility provided in the same thread as the vbios file, it is running as administrator. new rom I'm trying to flash is named BIOS.rom

SPECS: AW17r3 / i7-6700HQ / 980m 8gb / 16gb ram / 1920x1080 / 1tb 7.2k HDD and (2) 256gb nvme ssd. System Bios: 1.4.4

Alright. This is what finally worked for me, after hours of trial and error and piecing together additional steps from others posts:

 

(I have a Clevo P150SM-A /w a GTX 970M in it)

 

Before initiating this Flash process, go to your device manager > expand your display adapters > disable GTX980M. Now do the following -

 

1. Download the newest version of nvflash, instead.

2. Create a new folder in your C:\ drive and simply name it "nvflash"

3. Extract your nvflash download into said file.

4. Also move your BIOS.rom file into the C:\nvflash folder.

5. Open CMD as administrator and type the following, in order:

 

cd C:\nvflash

nvflash64 --protectoff

nvflash64 -6 BIOS.rom

 

After that last command prompt, you should get a message about the the subsystem ID's not matching.

Then you will be prompted to press "y" to confirm an override.

The final prompt will say something about the update being aborted/failing/etc.

Don't stress, it worked.

 

Go back into your device manager and enable GTX980M and reboot.

 

You'll be able to easily verify the success with Nvidia Inspector. Just start it up and open the Overclocking window. Your Voltage should now be unlocked.

 

Now OC to your hearts content.

 

So, it didn't work as well as I had thought. However, I did finally get it to work. So here's some new steps:

 

1. Go to device manager > display adapters > disable GTX980M

2. Download Mnvflash (which you have)

3. Create a new folder in your C:\ and label it as "mnvflash"

4. Extract all the contents of the mnvflash download into it

5. Drag your BIOS.rom file into the same folder

6. Open CMD as administrator

7. Now the type the following commands in order:

- cd C:\mnvflash

- nvflash -b filename.rom (replace 'filename' with your stock vBios. this one is optional. just more of a safety measure.)

- nvflash -6 BIOS.rom

 

This time, you should hear a beep while CMD runs.

 

You'll be prompted to hit 'y', twice.

 

Hopefully, everything works and you can go re-enable your display adapter and reboot.

 

If you don't already have it, download Nvidia Inspector upon restarting. Once you open the Overclocking menu that comes along with it, all the options should be usable.

 

Edited by Pawling21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the help unfortunately it hasnt worked. I think the problem now is that I can't disable the 980m because as soon as I disable it nvflash wont recognize it in the system. If I disable it, then reboot with it disabled it'll show in the system like it should, but then im still getting the same errors. I even took maxwell tweaker to slightly alter MY stock bios thinking that would take out the wrong id problems, but that still has the same errors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: I was finally able to flash the vbios by using -i o -6 commands and everything seemed to go well, even the prompt said it was successful.. Then I went to enable the gpu in device manager and the whole pc froze. I did a hard restart and now in device manager it says that Windows has disabled 980m because of problems. I tried reflashing but of course its being a b*tch like it was before and not letting me.

Edited by Suitercrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello @Klem, i'm new you in this forum and was looking at this topic for an hour and i asked myself if you could modified a Acer E5 575g 578n , 950m 2gb no G-sync bios to unlock + 135Mz overclocking limit ? 

 

My laptop running at 62 degrees max ingame and askep myself if i could push the cores beyond the nvidia limit 

 

Sorry for my grammar , english isn't my native language :)

 

Thanks you and what an amazing job you're doing here 

 

NB : if you could send a link about how to flash a vbios i'll be happy because i want to do theses things right and not damage my computer :)

Edited by Mactoco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mactoco said:

Hello @Klem, i'm new you in this forum and was looking at this topic for an hour and i asked myself if you could modified a Acer E5 575g 578n , 950m 2gb no G-sync bios to unlock + 135Mz overclocking limit ? 

 

My laptop running at 62 degrees max ingame and askep myself if i could push the cores beyond the nvidia limit 

 

Sorry for my grammar , english isn't my native language :)

 

Thanks you and what an amazing job you're doing here 

 

NB : if you could send a link about how to flash a vbios i'll be happy because i want to do theses things right and not damage my computer :)

Hi
Your bios is write protected, therefore any modified bios can be flashed by using hardware SPI programmer only.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Klem

i'm noob, and english is not my native language.

can you make a modified vbios for GTX 940MX 4GB on my dell inspiron 7570 ?

In this laptop, the throttle temperature is set at 70 °C, and i want it to reach more than 70 °C.

can you please help me ?

 

đ.png

Edited by killa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, killa said:

Hi @Klem

i'm noob, and english is not my native language.

can you make a modified vbios for GTX 940MX 4GB on my dell inspiron 7570 ?

In this laptop, the throttle temperature is set at 70 °C, and i want it to reach more than 70 °C.

can you please help me ?

 

đ.png

Hi
Your bios is write protected, therefore any modified bios can be flashed by using hardware SPI programmer only.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Klem

 

I have been digging up the internet to try find a modded vbios for my asus 970m but I have had no luck at all.

I am trying to use core clock above 135+ limit and looking for power adjustment and prevent thermal throttling option in my OC widget.

Are you able to help me with this?

 

Here is the current vbios I'm using

 

 

 

 

gt3.rom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dazza said:

Hi @Klem

 

I have been digging up the internet to try find a modded vbios for my asus 970m but I have had no luck at all.

I am trying to use core clock above 135+ limit and looking for power adjustment and prevent thermal throttling option in my OC widget.

Are you able to help me with this?

 

Here is the current vbios I'm using

 

 

 

 

gt3.rom

Hi!

Ok. Check your PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Klem

 

Ive been flashing the same way I flashed my other vbioses

Is there something i'm doing wrong?

 

5b278283c4f52_NewBitmapImage.thumb.jpg.cbfca80c254fde21ef959c7bef17115f.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dazza said:

@Klem

 

Ive been flashing the same way I flashed my other vbioses

Is there something i'm doing wrong?

 

5b278283c4f52_NewBitmapImage.thumb.jpg.cbfca80c254fde21ef959c7bef17115f.jpg

 

For flash any modified vbios, you should to use special version of nvflash (i sent it to you with vbios), also to flash any GT9XXM (Maxwell core), you should to use command :

nvflash  -6   vbiosname.rom

In your case, use command :  nvflash  -6  970MOD.rom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Success!

 

Managed to flash it with nvflash version provided.

 

Thanks Klem!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Klem Hi 

 i am new to the forum.i don't know english very much sorry for that.So i have a GeForce 940MX needed to be modded.Since my computer is laptop i have to find the vbios from my laptop manufacturers (Acer) website.i downloaded the originial bios and extract roms with PhoenixTool. i look for every rom with hex editor to find vbios.i have the maxwell bios tweaker but i don't know how to use it very much.i just need a stable vbios :angel:.Thanks. if someones need any more information i will check this thread.

4C316C9A-AFD9-4E33-AEAB-26C4A4999910_1603.ROM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

friends, greetings!

how to lower the voltage by 980m?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far I have the lowest Firestrike score for a 980m I've ever seen at 6807 points. I get power throttling like crazy. I hope the new vbios helps when I can finally download it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14.11.2017 at 10:46 PM, koni.gtx970m said:

Hi,

 

Please unlock my gtx 970m 3072 MB (medion erazer x7841). 

 

Please find attached my oryginal bios.

 

Thank you!

 

 

970mx7841.rom

 

Hi @Klem i have the same same laptop (medion erazer x7841 aka clevo p670re3), could you unlock my vbios? I wish to be able to overclock more than stock 135mhz on core and memory, and increase tdp limit. 

My stock bios: 

Thanks in advance 

gtx970m3gb.rom

Edited by tarquini

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tarquini said:

 

Hi @Klem i have the same same laptop (medion erazer x7841 aka clevo p670re3), could you unlock my vbios? I wish to be able to overclock more than stock 135mhz on core and memory, and increase tdp limit. 

My stock bios: 

Thanks in advance 

gtx970m3gb.rom

Hi!

Ok. Check your PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SaK3N said:

Hi, @Klem do you mind helping me mod my bios for me please? 

image.png.4577788a5ead5a5ad158d06d70289342.png

 

GM204.rom

Hi!

Ok. Check PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey @Klem can you take a look at my gtx970m 3gb bios(alienware 15). I wish to unlock his overclock more than the stock 135mhz on core and memory, and maybe voltage control too. Thanks.  

GM204.rom

Edited by apo1996

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By Axel de S
      Hello guys,
      I have a GT72VR 6RE with G-sync MSI Laptop. Sadly the GPU is partially dead (artefacts all over the screen, crashes, windows detecting a damaged hardware etc...).

      So I bought an other GTX1070 MXM on ebay, which was used in a Vortex G65 6RE before.
      Sadly, when I plug the new GPU in the laptop, the laptop screen stays completly off, but i can use the HDMI port. So i though that I would just have to flash the vbios to the one I was using on the GPU that died, but I couldn't because of a mismatch betwen the PCI Device ID.
      The new GPU ID is : 10DE 1BA1 - 1462 11AF and the previous GPU ID was :10DE 1BE1 - 1462 11AF
      Pretty close right? but the A1 and E1 variation are fcking everything up. I've read that 1BA1 is for non G-sync and 1BE1 is for G-sync. I've also read that the G-sync variation is not part of the card but is an external part no on the GPU board.

      So now I'm wondering what can I do : is there a way to force the vbios flash or to change the PCI ID ? I really need some help here. I'm no expert and I've try as much as I could. Maybe I need to do some vbios editing but I don't really know how to do it and what to do exactly to make this work.

      Thank you very much for your help guys
    • By Brian
      Well that didn't take long for NVIDIA to respond to Navi. The new 436.02 Game Ready Driver adds the following features:

      Game Ready
      Provides increased performance and the optimal gaming experience for Apex Legends, Battlefield V, Forza Horizon 4, Strange Brigade, and World War Z
      Gaming Technology
      Adds Beta support for GPU Integer Scaling Adds Beta support for Ultra-Low Latency Mode Adds support for new Freestyle Sharpen Filter Adds support for new G-SYNC compatible monitors Driver release notes: https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/436.02/436.02-win10-win8-win7-release-notes.pdf


      This isn't the old max pre-rendered frames setting, its supposedly a new improved algorithm that matches AMDs anti-lag feature for Navi.

      Next up is support for integer scaling which Intel recently announced but it seems NVIDIA beat everyone to the punch. Unfortunately, this is only for Turing for now:


      Additionally NVIDIA has created a new filter for FreeStyle simply called "Sharpen" which improves performance and visual clarity that is supposed to be on par with RSI but with much broader support and granular adjustment. According to Eurogamer, "They also point out that the amount of sharpening can be adjusted from 0 to 100 per cent, applied on a per-game basis and works with games across all major graphics APIs: DX9, DX11, DX12 and Vulkan".


      Finally, the driver brings with it some game performance improvement, including very popular titles like Apex Legends which sees up to 23% boost at 1080p:



      Overall a pretty solid release, it had some issues earlier when it was released with GeForce Experience being force installed but it should be remedied by now.

      View full article
    • By Brian
      Well that didn't take long for NVIDIA to respond to Navi. The new 436.02 Game Ready Driver adds the following features:

      Game Ready
      Provides increased performance and the optimal gaming experience for Apex Legends, Battlefield V, Forza Horizon 4, Strange Brigade, and World War Z
      Gaming Technology
      Adds Beta support for GPU Integer Scaling Adds Beta support for Ultra-Low Latency Mode Adds support for new Freestyle Sharpen Filter Adds support for new G-SYNC compatible monitors Driver release notes: https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/436.02/436.02-win10-win8-win7-release-notes.pdf


      This isn't the old max pre-rendered frames setting, its supposedly a new improved algorithm that matches AMDs anti-lag feature for Navi.

      Next up is support for integer scaling which Intel recently announced but it seems NVIDIA beat everyone to the punch. Unfortunately, this is only for Turing for now:


      Additionally NVIDIA has created a new filter for FreeStyle simply called "Sharpen" which improves performance and visual clarity that is supposed to be on par with RSI but with much broader support and granular adjustment. According to Eurogamer, "They also point out that the amount of sharpening can be adjusted from 0 to 100 per cent, applied on a per-game basis and works with games across all major graphics APIs: DX9, DX11, DX12 and Vulkan".


      Finally, the driver brings with it some game performance improvement, including very popular titles like Apex Legends which sees up to 23% boost at 1080p:



      Overall a pretty solid release, it had some issues earlier when it was released with GeForce Experience being force installed but it should be remedied by now.
    • By Brian
      Following the release of NVIDIAs new 436.02 driver which I mentioned in an earlier article here, I've decided to make a quick and dirty video showing off NVIDIAs new Sharpen filter which is part of their Game Filter feature. It works with the most popular APIs including DX 9, 11, 12 and Vulkan and can be set on a per-game basis with granular settings of 0-100 unlike AMDs RIS which is limited to Navi and lacks DX 11 support.
       
       

      View full article
×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.