Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

Then I have no idea how they are claiming about getting an alienware 17 to run with a 980M and a 120hz display!

There is a difference between using a 120Hz display and having functional 3D. Some people use those terms as though they mean the same thing, which can make it difficult for anyone reading posts to accurately interpret information. I cannot imagine that 980M would cease to function based on a display panel's refresh rate. LVDS does not support 120Hz and laptops with 120Hz displays use eDP, which does not work with Intel HD Graphics. I suspect what those comments really mean is 3D does not work with 980M and neither does an Alienware using Legacy BIOS, but the people talking about it are leaving out important details and focusing only on the fact that 3D does not work with 980M. We already know 120Hz works because we have multiple Clevo owners (@johnksss and @usmc362) that are using 980M with SLI and with a 120Hz laptop display. A lot of people want 120Hz and don't care about having 3D functionality. The more people talk about it using 3D and 120Hz as though they are synonymous terms, the more confusing the situation becomes for readers trying to accurately understand the situation. If I am not mistaken @svl7 has an Alienware 17 3D-capable system with a 120Hz display, so if 970M/980M work for him, those that own those machines have nothing to worry about unless they are hung up on having the 3D feature work.

What is more likely the problem with Alienware 3D laptops you hear about is not the refresh rate but the lack of support for Legacy/VGA BIOS using 970M/980M and the need to (a) use pure UEFI/GOP, or (B) boot with reliance on Intel HD Graphics in order for Legacy/VGA BIOS to function. The 3D Alienware models use eDP rather than LVDS. and lack the ability to function with Intel HD Graphics and Optimus. Alienware systems that are marketed as 3D capable should work fine with pure UEFI/GOP just as the M18xR2 and Alienware 18 do. I can run Legacy/VGA BIOS with Optimus mode and one GPU. The moment I attempt to install a second 980M the machine fails to boot with 8 beeps using Legacy/VGA BIOS. The BIOS has to be set for pure UEFI without Legacy Support for booting with a second 980M (or eDP in the case of the 3D Alienware). It will only boot with pure UEFI/GOP with a second GPU installed because the Intel HD Graphics are no longer accessible and therefore have no working display output channel for Legacy/VGA to use. Alienware 17 and M17xR4 owners are in the same situation as Alienware 18 and M18xR2 owners with dual 980M, being stuck with only pure UEFI/GOP. As long as you love Windows 8 (and don't care about losing 3D functionality if you own a 17/M17xR4) it's not a big deal.

What the 3D-capable Alienware 17 and M17xR4 owners will be faced with (and we will need to hear from @svl7 if he has identified a work around) is no ability to flash the vBIOS because there is no way to do that under UEFI at the present time. A UEFI compatible version of NVFLASH would be needed for that, and no such version exists. I believe they will need to have access to another machine to flash their 970M or 980M. Likewise, Alienware 18/M18xR2 owners can only flash their vBIOS one GPU at a time, with one GPU installed in the primary PCIe slot, the secondary PCIe slot empty, booting in Legacy/Optimus mode from the Intel HD Graphics. What may also be a stone wall for them is having problems if their system BIOS settings get flipped from pure UEFI to Legacy BIOS by accident. It will likely need to be set for pure UEFI before attempting to install the 970M or 980M GPU. I suspect they will need to hang on to their original GPU so they can temporarily install that GPU, change the BIOS back to pure UEFI, shut down and put the 970M or 980M back in. Alienware owners that do not have 3D capable models can simply remove the GPU(s), boot from Intel Graphics, change the BIOS to pure UEFI with Optimus/Intel Graphics support disabled and put the GPU back in.

@Mr. Fox, given what you know about 980M compatibility in Alienware, would you expect the 980M to work in the M17xR3? I believe it came out in the same era as the M18xR1, so I have doubts that it would be compatible. Obviously I have Optimus capability in the M17xR3, but I was under the impression when I installed my current non-standard card that it wouldn't work installing a non-standard card in Optimus mode in the R3 (so I installed it in dedicated mode)? Just wondering what kind of upgrade possibilities I might have for my laptop in the future. (I would prefer installation in dedicated mode rather than Optimus, but just exploring all the options).

• Thumbs Up 1

@Mr. Fox, given what you know about 980M compatibility in Alienware, would you expect the 980M to work in the M17xR3? I believe it came out in the same era as the M18xR1, so I have doubts that it would be compatible. Obviously I have Optimus capability in the M17xR3, but I was under the impression when I installed my current non-standard card that it wouldn't work installing a non-standard card in Optimus mode in the R3 (so I installed it in dedicated mode)? Just wondering what kind of upgrade possibilities I might have for my laptop in the future. (I would prefer installation in dedicated mode rather than Optimus, but just exploring all the options).

I am not sure, but I think there is a remote chance it may. I know 980M SLI will not work in the M18xR1 because it lacks UEFI support. I tested it to confirm that and 8-beeps just like the R2 set in Legacy Mode. What I did not test, simply because I have very little interest in machines sporting a single GPU, is whether a single 980M will work in Optimus mode. After finding myself in the awful predicament of having to use the R2 with a single GPU in Optimus mode for testing and vBIOS flashing, this has peaked my curiosity. I am on a business trip, but I will be home tomorrow evening. If my ambition exceeds my jet lag I am going to pull the primary 980M from the R2 and see if I can get it to work in the R1. I am optimistic that it may. Stay tuned and if I am not too tired to screw with it, I will post something tomorrow night or Saturday.

That would be really nice if it works. Not only would it give M17xR3 owners an awesome upgrade if they can put up with Optimus crap, it would give M18xR1 owners an upgrade equivalent to about 75% of the performance of 780M SLI for half the cost, along with the need to tolerate Optimus. I have been thinking about using my M18xR1 as an HTPC/living room gaming rig in my home entertainment center and it would be good enough for that purpose with a single 980M.

Modded nv_dispi.inf AW.

Thanks man

Questions:

1. I see that there are 8 entries for GTX 970M/980M in the nv_dispi.inf. In the nvdmi.inf there was only 4 of them for 780M which I replaced with 970M,

Are the 4 other ones for SLI?

2. 347.09 driver might crash with SLI you say. What about the older ones?

[MENTION=119]Mr. Fox[/MENTION], thanks a lot, that would be great for M17xR3 owners to know. Although I do remember when I installed this 670MX all the guides said to disable 'IGD' in the BIOS and run it as 'PEG' - I just don't know whether that means that the R3 won't work in Optimus mode with a non-standard card. Do you have any thoughts on that particular point? If I become serious about upgrading to a 980M further down the line, then I'd reconfigure my BIOS to Optimus mode first to see if my 670MX would work in Optimus mode - to check.

What the 3D-capable Alienware 17 and M17xR4 owners will be faced with (and we will need to hear from @svl7 if he has identified a work around) is no ability to flash the vBIOS because there is no way to do that under UEFI at the present time. A UEFI compatible version of NVFLASH would be needed for that, and no such version exists.

I'm working on this...nvflash v5.142 has full UEFI support. With release v5.551 Nvidia introduced many changes and up to v5.163 (880M supported) full UEFI still works, past this v5.164 they included OEM support, so full UEFI only for certain configurations, from now on only modified versions with certificate checks bypassed.

*** NVFLASH LOG FILE ***
Version 5.163

Command: version
IFR Data Size : 852 bytes
IFR CRC32 : CE15CE66
IFR Image Size : 1024 bytes
IFR Image CRC32 : 7A49C7C4
IFR Subsystem ID : 10DE-110B
Image Size : 184320 bytes
Version : 84.04.22.00.20
~CRC32 : E5C9EDC2
OEM String : NVIDIA
Vendor Name : NVIDIA Corporation
Product Name : GM204 Board
Product Revision : Chip Rev
Device Name(s) : Unknown
Board ID : E906
WARNING: Unknown Board ID E906
(It is recommended you obtain a newer version of NVFLASH.)
PCI ID : 10DE-13D7
Subsystem ID : 10DE-110B
Hierarchy ID : Normal Board
Chip SKU : 700-0
Project : 2754-0003
CDP : N/A
Coproc Build : NO
Build Date : 14/03/14
Modification Date : 17/05/14
UEFI Support : Yes
UEFI Version : 0x20005 (Jul 31 2014 @ 18745622)
UEFI Signer(s) : Microsoft Corporation UEFI CA 2011
Sign-On Message : mod by Johnksss & svl7
** Tech|Inferno **

I've included all IDs but still couldn't figure out the board ID.

Since you can recover from a bad flash, you could try this. -> [MENTION=119]Mr. Fox[/MENTION] only! <-

First nvflash 5.163 then 5.142, stock versions.

cmd (Admin)

nvflash.exe -5 -6 --override=3 xxx.rom

Depending on the EEPROM support, this could work too.

nvlfash.exe --protectoff

I haven't received the card (yet)...-> customs <- Of all the countries I've lived...never seen such a mess (not true...2). Bureaucracy in all its splendor, corrupt, inefficient, filled with "chief of" -> 'chief' yet again 'chief' and little workers doing the actual job...union$...:D...:D...:D

thks for your share! @J95.I installed the driver and reboot.then FN+F7,but the 980M was shielded,i dont know why:(

i checked the hardware ID,the driver was not be installed on the 980m but on the hd4000.

what can i do next?

You need to disable driver signing, install using v(1) INFs (each driver) -> http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-98.html#post118582

Windows 8.1

Run DDU/Safe mode -> Clean and Restart (uncheck Intel HD Drivers)
  • F8 Boot options. 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing'
    cmd (Admin)
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers.

• Extract driver w/ 7-Zip/winrar
  • Extracted driver folder "34x.xx-notebook-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql" -> copy NVWMI folder.
  • Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite nvcv.inf(NV drivers v344.91) or nvcvi.inf (NV drivers v347.09, v344.80, v344.75) nvcvui.inf/v347.12.
  • Extracted driver folder -> run setup.exe
  • -> reboot -> disable Optimus <-

Thanks man

Questions:

1. I see that there are 8 entries for GTX 970M/980M in the nv_dispi.inf. In the nvdmi.inf there was only 4 of them for 780M which I replaced with 970M,

Are the 4 other ones for SLI?

2. 347.09 driver might crash with SLI you say. What about the older ones?

SLI is '05AB' like single GPU, nothing specific. All models are listed 17" & 18", meaning 11 entries.

Enable F8 boot options (above), run DDU and test (nv_dispi.inf) v344.75 (performance) -> v344.80 includes many fixes, nvidia only admits a few...:D -> v347.09 less GPU throttling but broken overclocking options. NV ready for Maxwell...:D

Also try v344.91 using nvcv.inf(1) http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-98.html#post118582

nvflash_stock.zip

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm working on this...nvflash v5.142 has full UEFI support. With release v5.551 Nvidia introduced many changes and up to v5.163 (880M supported) full UEFI still works, past this v5.164 they included OEM support, so full UEFI only for certain configurations, from now on only modified versions with certificate checks bypassed.

*** NVFLASH LOG FILE ***
Version 5.163

Command: version
IFR Data Size : 852 bytes
IFR CRC32 : CE15CE66
IFR Image Size : 1024 bytes
IFR Image CRC32 : 7A49C7C4
IFR Subsystem ID : 10DE-110B
Image Size : 184320 bytes
Version : 84.04.22.00.20
~CRC32 : E5C9EDC2
OEM String : NVIDIA
Vendor Name : NVIDIA Corporation
Product Name : GM204 Board
Product Revision : Chip Rev
Device Name(s) : Unknown
Board ID : E906
WARNING: Unknown Board ID E906
(It is recommended you obtain a newer version of NVFLASH.)
PCI ID : 10DE-13D7
Subsystem ID : 10DE-110B
Hierarchy ID : Normal Board
Chip SKU : 700-0
Project : 2754-0003
CDP : N/A
Coproc Build : NO
Build Date : 14/03/14
Modification Date : 17/05/14
UEFI Support : Yes
UEFI Version : 0x20005 (Jul 31 2014 @ 18745622)
UEFI Signer(s) : Microsoft Corporation UEFI CA 2011
Sign-On Message : mod by Johnksss & svl7
** Tech|Inferno **

Since you can recover from a bad flash, you could try this. -> @Mr. Fox only! <-

First nvflash 5.163 then 5.142, stock versions.

cmd (Admin)

nvlfash.exe --protectoff

I haven't received the card (yet)...-> customs <- Of all the countries I've lived...never seen such a mess (not true...2). Bureaucracy in all its splendor, corrupt, inefficient, filled with "chief of" -> 'chief' yet again 'chief' and little workers doing the actual job...unions...:D...:D...:D

Yes, I will try that when I get home tomorrow night. It would be great if it works with UEFI.

- - - Updated - - -

@Mr. Fox, thanks a lot, that would be great for M17xR3 owners to know. Although I do remember when I installed this 670MX all the guides said to disable 'IGD' in the BIOS and run it as 'PEG' - I just don't know whether that means that the R3 won't work in Optimus mode with a non-standard card. Do you have any thoughts on that particular point? If I become serious about upgrading to a 980M further down the line, then I'd reconfigure my BIOS to Optimus mode first to see if my 670MX would work in Optimus mode - to check.
I have no way of knowing. How similar the graphics systems are on the M17xR3 and M18xR1 and how the BIOS manages everything is a question I cannot answer with any certainty. My guess would be they are very close to the same and if it works with the M18xR1 there is a really decent chance it will with the M17xR3.

*** NVFLASH LOG FILE ***
Version 5.163

Command: version IFR Data Size : 852 bytes IFR CRC32 : CE15CE66 IFR Image Size : 1024 bytes IFR Image CRC32 : 7A49C7C4 IFR Subsystem ID : 10DE-110B Image Size : 184320 bytes Version : 84.04.22.00.20 ~CRC32 : E5C9EDC2 OEM String : NVIDIA Vendor Name : NVIDIA Corporation Product Name : GM204 Board Product Revision : Chip Rev

Device Name(s) : Unknown Board ID : E906 WARNING: Unknown Board ID E906 (It is recommended you obtain a newer version of NVFLASH.) PCI ID : 10DE-13D7 Subsystem ID : 10DE-110B Hierarchy ID : Normal Board Chip SKU : 700-0 Project : 2754-0003 CDP : N/A Coproc Build : NO Build Date : 14/03/14 Modification Date : 17/05/14 UEFI Support : Yes UEFI Version : 0x20005 (Jul 31 2014 @ 18745622) UEFI Signer(s) : Microsoft Corporation UEFI CA 2011 Sign-On Message : mod by Johnksss & svl7 ** Tech|Inferno **

Since you can recover from a bad flash, you could try this. -> @Mr. Fox only! <-

First nvflash 5.163 then 5.142, stock versions. cmd (Admin)

nvlfash.exe --protectoff

I haven't received the card (yet)...-> customs <- Of all the countries I've lived...never seen such a mess (not true...2). Bureaucracy in all its splendor, corrupt, inefficient, filled with "chief of" -> 'chief' yet again 'chief' and little workers doing the actual job...unions...:D...:D...:D

You need to disable driver signing, install using v(1) INFs (each driver) -> [URL]http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-98.html#post118582[/URL] Windows 8.1

• Run DDU/Safe mode -> Clean and Restart (uncheck Intel HD Drivers)
  • F8 Boot options. 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing' cmd (Admin)
    -> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers.
  • Extract driver w/ 7-Zip/winrar
  • Extracted driver folder "34x.xx-notebook-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql" -> copy NVWMI folder.
  • Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite nvcv.inf(NV drivers v344.91) or nvcvi.inf (NV drivers v347.09, v344.80, v344.75) nvcvui.inf/v347.12.
  • Extracted driver folder -> run setup.exe
  • -> reboot -> disable Optimus <-

@J95。I tried to install the driver as your list. The GPUZ can show the 980M but the 3DMARK11 can not work with it. And when I press FN+F7,the 980M shielded again:( im crazy now!

@J95。I tried to install the driver as your list. The GPUZ can show the 980M but the 3DMARK11 can not work with it. And when I press FN+F7,the 980M shielded again:(

im crazy now!

Primary disk GUID Partition Table/GPT?

Search -> diskpart -> list disk.

post-3012-14494999139687_thumb.png

BIOS -> boot options -> UEFI selected, you must disable "Legacy" "Fast Boot" & "Secure Boot"

'Driver signing' disabled?

Primary disk GUID Partition Table/GPT?

Search -> diskpart -> list disk.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13662[/ATTACH]

BIOS -> boot options -> UEFI selected, you must disable "Legacy" "Fast Boot" & "Secure Boot"

'Driver signing' disabled?

@J95,i have installed 3 times as you said,but it still doesn't work.

maybe I should remove the card before install win8.1?

@J95,i have installed 3 times as you said,but it still doesn't work.

maybe I should remove the card before install win8.1?

Wrong settings and/or driver signing is not disabled.

1. Primary disk GUID Partition Table/GPT?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13662[/ATTACH]

2. BIOS settings.

post-3012-14494999140424_thumb.png

3. Programs & Features -> Uninstall Graphics Driver.

4. F8 Boot options. 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing'

cmd (Admin)

-> reboot -> F8 -> safe mode -> DDU 'Clean and Shutdown/third option' -> Power On -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement'

5. Download GeForce 344.91 OEM

6. Extract w/ 7-ZIP

7. Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite (unzip) Modded_nvcv.inf_v344.91_

8. Extracted driver folder -> run setup.exe -> Advanced -> Clean Install Option -> Reboot.

Yes, I will try that when I get home tomorrow night. It would be great if it works with UEFI.

Yes, true UEFI works perfectly well, faster than legacy option rom. Thaiphoon burner is faster too...UEFI/GPT.

Before flashing (v5.163), try posting screenshot & log file.

nvflash.exe --list
nvflash.exe -b backup.rom
nvflash.exe --log GM204.txt --version backup.rom

If it fails to detect the card properly e.g. board ID, Device name, try the above using mnvflash 5.196 with legacy option rom enabled (all screenshots). Board ID is E906 SKUxxx?, SKU is missing.

Without the card this is really complicated, took me quite some time to find all versions of nvflash...at least I managed to keep .exe integrity, quite an accomplishment...:D hopefully not the only one...:D...:D

- - - Updated - - -

@J95 - both of these versions of nvflash are unable to recognize the GPUs. Tried enabled and disabled in Device Manager.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13666[/ATTACH]

[MENTION=119]Mr. Fox[/MENTION]

Try this version.