Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

my friend has been able to overclock his 970m in AW17 r4 to reach 980m stock performance, with only +135mhz on the core and +600 on memory. for almost a half of the price. what's the use of 980m with such throttling then? :D

his Mark 11 score is 10220

Yes, even with throttling, 980M SLI still shreds the performance of a single 970M or 980M. 50% or greater increase with SLI is a blood bath if for no reason other than the huge increase in bandwidth with dual GPU. Even 780M SLI still soundly beats a single 980M.

Yes, even with throttling, 980M SLI still shreds the performance of a single 970M or 980M. 50% or greater increase with SLI is a blood bath if for no reason other than the huge increase in bandwidth with dual GPU. Even 780M SLI still soundly beats a single 980M.

i am saying 970m sli vs 980m sli. in the end the performance increase with 980m sli over 970m sli, may just be around 8%

and so far it looks like 970m is not throttling so much!

Cant say really i played around for the day now i have 1 in my p370sm experimentinv the other in mh brothers p370sm3 investigating whats changed to loose 3d i desperately want 3d vision on 980m sli...
If you do a side-by-side comparison of the 880m and 980m on the nvidia site you will see the features they dropped. 3DVision was one of them :(.

No joke fox, i can run crysis 3 at maximum settings with an avg of 55-65fps single 980m (and i am sure it will go higher once official support for AW is released, if ever) , SLi 980m will give you some serious future proof for gaming, lets just hope developers keep you SLi users in mind because i hate to see such a $$$ system go to waste because a developer fails to optimize for SLi.

The performance if sli 980m is mind numbing given a vbios upgrade i can see these eating sli 780m per card. Ive already passed 30k graphics score in 3dmark 11 and 14.9k physics with this raw power available on small form factor its about time desktop cards went half size single width again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Since many are experiencing throttling + issues, try out these. latest 'stable' drivers/modded inf -> nv_dispi.inf_v344.80

v337.88 (1) best driver so far (Kepler), 880M entries.
  • v337.88 (2) 780M entries.
  • v340.52 stable 34x.xx, 780M enries.
  • (780M entries)
  • v344.80 Introduced many specific fixes 980/970, nvidia only mentions/admits a few...:D nv_dispi.inf,(2) desktop 980/970 entries (single & SLI).
  • All AW 17" & 18" supported (M17x/M18x included).
    Enable F8 Boot options 'Safe Mode' & 'Disabe driver signature enforcement'.
  • cmd (Admin)
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

• -> reboot -> F8 'Safe mode' run DDU "Clean and Restart" option -> F8 'Disable driver signing'.
  • Extract driver w/ 7-Zip v9.25 x64 Extract to "3xx.xx-notebook-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql"
  • Display.Driver folder, copy/overwrite nv_dispi.inf.
  • Extracted driver folder -> run setup.exe
    GeForce 344.80 Beta

@godfafa

@Peter18x

@mikecacho

nv_dispi.inf_v344.80(2)_AW_GTX_980M.zip

• Thumbs Up 3

Im expecting to see graphics scores in the 30k range very soon i have no doubt at all if i want i can break 15k graphics score... no point at this stage until throttlings sorted.

Do you use windows 8.1 with your 980m sli p570wm?

Benching was all in 8.1 environment

so win 7 probably would already surpass 30k havent bothered checking yet still investigating what it is about 3d thats not available on the 980m especially as it functions correctly with a monitor

- - - Updated - - -

both im affraid

• Thumbs Up 1

Benching was all in 8.1 environment

so win 7 probably would already surpass 30k havent bothered checking yet still investigating what it is about 3d thats not available on the 980m especially as it functions correctly with a monitor

My friend with 980m sli on p375sm (win7) is not experiencing ANY throttling.

Could you check how 980m sli works on win7 when you have time?

@J95 thanks for inf mod.

Actually from my experience with 980m SLI from past few day on throttle issue of Alienware m18x R2.

There are two reasons, noticed so far.

1) After windows update, it may change system files and causing this throttle problem.

2) Power throttle, if you kept CPU below 4.0x4 and VID @ 0 or 10. Than GPUs will not throttle.

There is no CPU or GPUs throttle from past 3 days.

@J95 thanks for inf mod.

Actually from my experience with 980m SLI from past few day on throttle issue of Alienware m18x R2.

There are two reasons, noticed so far.

1) After windows update, it may change system files and causing this throttle problem.

2) Power throttle, if you kept CPU below 4.0x4 and VID @ 0 or 10. Than GPUs will not throttle.

There is no CPU or GPUs throttle from past 3 days.

What happened if you dont update windows but OC CPU to more than that extent?

that may or may not be true of my machine tbh as im running 660w psu and desktop cpu.

but ive seen no relation to thottling tied with my cpu i maxed my gpu score then overclocked saw no additional gpu behaviour from the 980s either st stock 6 cores 3900 or all rocking 4600 so im tempted to rule cpu out of the equasion as an Alienware or Haswell Quirk.

- - - Updated - - -

ill do some bench runs tonight in windows 7 see how it differs from windows 8.1

right now my cards are in a pair of other machines as ive proven them in my p570wm.

So AW guys would a alx18 or an m18xr2 be the best SLI 980m platform to run?

I'm sorely tempted to get another alien just for the sake of variety more than anything.

crazy but i consider the m18xr2 to be reasonably portable

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm i dont use throttle stop.

- - - Updated - - -

@godfafa whats your highest 3dmark 11 result to date?

- - - Updated - - -

My friend with 980m sli on p375sm (win7) is not experiencing ANY throttling.

Could you check how 980m sli works on win7 when you have time?

What kinda score is he getting with it? 3dmark 11 graphics score only, physics will only mix it up as im hex core?

• Thumbs Up 1