On 3/19/2019 at 12:01 AM, LuisVillalon said:

Thanks for answer, i tought the post was dead.

Temps are around 50-60°C in normal use and 75 in stress test, before repaste it reached 93 degrees.

Yes the CLT is in XTU, actually there is no option to modify current limit, just says "yes" or "no". In TS (here is where i saw the 84A) appears the option but i cant change it, its locked.

I have restarted bios before, the default settings on performance are everything enable, HT, all cores, speed step, turbo boost and c state.

The lap came with BIOS A19 i updated it to A26.

You need to do this (last section TPL removing power limits: BIOS (NVRAM) variables are sort of universal, sometimes the value for the variable itself it's not, i.e the vars values for the M6800/M4800 are about 2/3 the same than the E6440 and E5430, but some of the values are completely different, though variables are the same (the functions or commands are the same, only the code or identifier changes) so I'm not that sure if these are the right ones for your system, I suggest you to try those variables BUT always do setup_var VAR before setup_var VAR DV (refer to spoiler below) so you can know if a var is active and if so what's its default value, to reverse you can just remove CMOS battery or re-edit the vars to their original values. If the vars aren't right and therefore you can't remove TPL, you'd need to dump your BIOS as shown on this post, my system wouldn't let me dump the BIOS at first, in order to do so I had to modify the lock BIOS variable (that one is universal), also after unlocking it you need to use the FTK from this download that is on the post quoted below, finish doing what Atonus says and then head back to the NVRAM editor with your variables and flash them.

It felt like RE2 puzzles on hardcore to make it all work since the laptop is old and a few bunch of links are dead, I semi-bricked it like 3 times and whatnot.

But now it let's me OC my CPU to 4ghz with GPU usage if temperatures allow me lol

Though I only OC that far when encoding something, won't go above 85C

Spoiler
On 1/4/2019 at 9:12 PM, pinkyfloo said:

I'm gonna answer to my previous questions and post some information for -hopefully- posterity, as there are some older posts quoting some dead links, I've digged on these subjects and found the most reliable and easy methods to do so, this is a great machine, it can stand for non-gaming battle all through 2019, I'll be updating this post over time.

As a note, right now the i7 4930MX is sitting at 183 Euros on Aliexpress (they price it on EUR), the 4940MX is around 300, and it's only 100MHz faster, so best price-performance relationship as of early Jan 2019 is 4930MX

Edit 1: First batch of info:

Thermal issues

Reveal hidden contents

I've managed to extend NTH1 cooling activity by leaving the paste curate (repaste, boot up, TSBench 1024 4 Threads Twice [takes about 6 mins each pass on 4600M Stock], Shut down for 1 hour, then normal use.

I'm using a cheap fan under the laptop as well, temperaures have been sitting around 48-52 idle with Clock modulation on, on Power Saving goes almost 45C, during load has peaks of 90-94 AT MOST, before used to be 97C PROCHOT (slight throttle to avoid TJuction) and around 105 on the GPU (CRITICAL TEMP)

I DO NOT RECOMMEND NOCTUA NT-H1 for this laptop, to me it seems that there's a gap between heatsink and CPU/GPU Die. The Paste's consitency is great for high pressure mouunting systems, however that's not the case in most laptops.

Planning on buying either liquid metal or Kryonaut, if I ever get the liquid metal I'll probably be following the liquid metal apply guide by verei at NotebookReview: ThrottleStop - Overclocking Dell Precision M6800, I will update on this later on.

UPDATE:  as of March 27, 2019 I can confirm that Kryonaut has the right consistency and thermal capability for this laptop, have been playing Skyrim SE, GTA V, Resident Evil 2 REmake, RE7, doing 1080p production on After Effects, never hitting that anything above 88 for the CPU and 97 for the GPU (Only RE2, most games won't go over 90C, also tMax for 8690M is 105C) also my tests before were made during winter, now it's almost Spring and we are reaching almost 30c ambient here, also I'm not using any mat or external cooling but I'm on a 2-Core 4600M

I'm waiting for this Kootek Chill Mat 5 I ordered, it stands as the best cooler out there on several tests, reducing up to 30C internal temps, yes you read right 30C.

I opted in for a 4 5.5-Inch fans cooling mat, again from Kootek as the previous Chill Mat 5 was heavily damaged upon arrival to customs and they refunded it. Still waiting for it.

But I'm thinking heavily about this OPOLAR Laptop Vacuum Fan, I'd suggest everyone to look at it but can't really recommend it as I haven't bought it, their concept is far better than chill mats IMO though, and I prolly get one and combine it with a mat if I ever upgrade to a MQ CPU.

Turbo Power Limits (TPL) - Removing CPU TDP Limits

In order to modify CPU TDP and Current constraints we need to modify the BIOS, the most reliable, fast and easy method is to use a NVRAM editor (Notice that if you want to reset these values to default you should either re-do the process entering the default values or remove your CMOS battery)

As of 2019 FTK8 gave me Error 201 with BIOS from A02 to A23 and wouldn't dump the bios, as the variables are already known, we're gonna skip this part of the process used by Atonus (WORKAROUND AVAILABLE)

Reveal hidden contents

It turns out that Dell did indeed turn of any RAID settings and hid it from the common user. Or rather didn't make it visible. What you have to do to enable RAID on the Dell Latitude E6440 is:

- Download https://www.sendspace.com/<wbr>file/bouk3i

It's a flash toolkit by Intel with additional batch scripts mostly for Asus boards. You can use fptw to dump your current or flash a new BIOS.
- Extract it to C:\. The new path should be "C:\FTK8_0.11\Windows"

You can extract it, where you want. However, it will be easier to handle the next steps, if it is C:\.
- Start > type "cmd" > right click > Open as Administrator.

You need full rights to run fptw.exe
- Type "cd C:\FTK8_0.11\Windows" to change your current directory to the toolkit folder

- Type "fptw.exe -D backup.rom -BIOS"

This command will create a dump (-D) of the BIOS section (-BIOS) to the file backup.rom. The Management Engine section for example is read/write protected, so it won't be possible to do a full dump.
Then you can open the dump with "UEFITool" (just search for it on Google), then search for and extract the module SetupPrep, when you find it, run it trough the "Universal IFR extractor" which will generate a text document of the input. I attached my text document down below so that you can compare. SetupPrep IFR.txt

The interesting part is in my case in line 2030. It tells us the name of the setting ("RAID0"), the hexadecimal address in the NVRAM (0x19D) and its possible values (0 - Disabled/ 1 - Enabled).

Reveal hidden contents

WORKAROUND

Head to Next Spolier

In order to do so you need to download This NVRAM Editor, paste the EFI folder on the root of a FAT32 USB Stick, reboot, F12, boot from UEFI USB stick, once in there we're going to use Atonus's BIOS variables, As well I used those in the post that verei quotes on his guide.

Once in GRUB in the NVRAM Editor type:
setup_var VAR DV

Where:

VAR is the Variable I.E. 0xC9A or 0x54

DV is Desired Value I.E. 0x0 or 0x1

Examples:

setup_var 0xC9A 0x0 to Disable Package Power Limit

setup_var 0xC9A 0x1 to Enable Package Power Limit

If you do:

setup_var VAR, the output will show you the current value of that variable in the form of 0x0X

where X is the value (0x01, 0x03, 0x00, etc)

Examples:

setup_var 0xC9A

output will be something like:

setup_var 0xC9A 0x00

Atonus's Variables - RED Means TARGET, BLACK Means Default Value

I Can CONFIRM, after dumping the BIOS's that these are right up to A23

Reveal hidden contents

CPU TDP Variables

Reveal hidden contents

Package Power Limit Lock - Variable: 0xC9A
Disabled, Value: 0x0
Enabled, Value: 0x1

Platform Power Limit Lock - Variable: 0x54

Configrable TDP Level - Variable: 0x39
TDP NOMINAL: 0x0
TDP DOWN: 0x1

TDP UP: 0x2
Disabled 0xFF

CFG Lock - Variable 0xC90

VR Current Value Lock - Variable: 0x99

RAID Variables

Reveal hidden contents

TOLUD Variables (eGPU)

Reveal hidden contents

ExpressCard/eGPU Variables

Reveal hidden contents

Disable AMD GPU (DON'T DO IT)

Reveal hidden contents

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I recently purchased a 07KGN Rev. 1.0 motherboard with the dGPU and beefier heatsink. I installed it into my E6440, but my display isn't receiving any output. I currently have the 1366x768 panel. It doesn't seem like a backlight issue because my screen just stays fully black, there's no dim imprint or anything. I did plug it into an external monitor via the VGA port, and it works fine. The BIOS (revision A23) didn't recognize it has a dGPU, it just said integrated graphics. However, when I booted into Linux, it recognized that I have the AMD dGPU installed and I could download drivers for it. I personally think it's a problem with the display cable. Anybody got any idea what's up?

Edited by Bonner

9 minutes ago, Bonner said:

Hey guys, I recently purchased a 07KGN Rev. 1.0 motherboard with the dGPU and beefier heatsink. I installed it into my E6440, but my display isn't receiving any output. I currently have the 1366x768 panel. It doesn't seem like a backlight issue because my screen just stays fully black, there's no dim imprint or anything. I did plug it into an external monitor via the VGA port, and it works fine. The BIOS (revision A23) didn't recognize it has a dGPU, it just said integrated graphics. However, when I booted into Linux, it recognized that I have the AMD dGPU installed and I could download drivers for it. I personally think it's a problem with the display cable. Anybody got any idea what's up?

to me sounds like a cable failure, a conflicting BIOS variable, or, in my case I experienced AMD driver problems (W10) that made that and forced me into safe mode to DDU and try to fix it, they were conflicting for a while, when you press Power on you should see the Dell logo, probably a RAID, then back to Dell logo with W10 Loading circles below, then Black, then Windows, if you don't see this on the laptop with no external monitor most likely is a Hardware failure, as you say, probably the cable, when I had the driver problem this still shown up but when it was BIOS conflicting variables it didn't do anything, not even backlight, at least for me, if you want you can try to remove the CMOS battery it'll reset the BIOS to factory settings including all hidden variables (PWR off, unplug, remove batt, press PWR 10 sec, remove CMOS 1 min, place everything back and turn on, you might need to change your boot mode to UEFI and SATA mode to AHCI after this) 

22 minutes ago, pinkyfloo said:

to me sounds like a cable failure, a conflicting BIOS variable, or, in my case I experienced AMD driver problems (W10) that made that and forced me into safe mode to DDU and try to fix it, they were conflicting for a while, when you press Power on you should see the Dell logo, probably a RAID, then back to Dell logo with W10 Loading circles below, then Black, then Windows, if you don't see this on the laptop with no external monitor most likely is a Hardware failure, as you say, probably the cable, when I had the driver problem this still shown up but when it was BIOS conflicting variables it didn't do anything, not even backlight, at least for me, if you want you can try to remove the CMOS battery it'll reset the BIOS to factory settings including all hidden variables (PWR off, unplug, remove batt, press PWR 10 sec, remove CMOS 1 min, place everything back and turn on, you might need to change your boot mode to UEFI and SATA mode to AHCI after this) 

Thanks for the quick response! So, I attempted resetting the BIOS to factory settings per your instructions, still no output on the display whatsoever. I'm definitely leaning towards a cable failure.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all. I have an E6440 with dGPU. Desperately trying to get the eGPU working on a PE4C v3.0 (set at max delay for both switched- setting 3) with a RX460 4GB card. I can't seem to shake the Code 12 issue in Win 10. I've used DIY 1.3.5 and disabled the dGPU, set to 36 bit and compressed eGPU only. Nothing seems to work.

Anyone able to get an AMD eGPU running without going the disable DSDT override route?

Thanks!

Quick update. Tried a GTX 950 and can get that to a code 43. Used the patch to address this, but immediate BSOD. Not sure what's going on there either. Almost want to just get the non dGPU motherboard and avoid all of this!!

Edited by vortmax

As of 2019 FTK8 gave me Error 201 with BIOS from A02 to A23 and wouldn't dump the bios, as the variables are already known, we're gonna skip this part of the process used by Atonus (WORKAROUND AVAILABLE)

Anyone know if the ("RAID0") hexadecimal address in the NVRAM (0x19D) and its possible values (0 - Disabled/ 1 - Enabled) for A23 still??

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

So thought I'd give everybody who read my earlier post asking for help, a bit of an update!

Obviously I own a Dell Latitude E6440 which is pretty out dated, but I think its an all around good laptop, you can buy it cheap and its quite versitile in its avaliable upgrades. So I have and EGPU which in all was pretty cheap. I went to CEX (exchange shop) to get myself a GTX 950, this cost my £60, the connector I used wasn't a GDC beast or anything snazzy, it was literally labled as "EGPU DOCK" and cost me around £3.00 (Free PP), The power supply I bought was a CiT 500W Active 85/80 plus bronze power supply unit (cost me £29.95).
I connected it all up and did the paperclip trick to get it so the PSU was powered on, then I tried to detect the GPU and couldn't. Luckily, this laptop is pretty nifty and all I had to do was swap the GPU input to the laptop with the WiFi card, boot up, detect, get drivers, then swap it back round. Now I can plug and play (with a reset or I crash) without having to buy some crappy setup 1.35 or anything like that. I think that all of the help suggests you buy this setup, but if you spend enough time googling your problems(such as error 43), you can find a way around each of them. I occasionally have to disable the GPU and enable it again and I noticed that it over heated fast & had some stability issues. I used MSI after burner to change the fan speeds, making it so its almost always powered on and runs high, now it never goes above about 50celcius, which is pretty cool. I was still noticing stability issues though and a few blue screens here and there, so I did a bit of bench marking and realised it was the damn CPU thermals that were always 97ish going up to about 100 and blue screening (Although the log always blamed the graphics card) so I ordered some liquid metal, took out the CPU heat sink, cleaned it, coated it in a little bit of liquid metal (if you do this PLEASE WATCH A GUIDE AS YOU CAN SCREW IT UP) being careful not to get any of it anywhere else (as I didn't buy the protector stuff you can get) I booted it back up and bam, 70-80 temps and the computer runs absolutely fine.
I bought the laptop second hand so I'm unsure about exactly what the specs are meant to be, however I will post mine (not fully completed)

Lastly I put in an SSD because why not? It made the computer run like new and takes about 8 seconds to boot, give or take about 3 seconds. (Definitely worth getting)

Dell Latitude E6440
Intel i5-4319M
12GB ram (Will be upgraded to 16GB)

IGPU (Intel HD 4600)

EGPU (GTX950) This is in the port under the top right corner (as I'm looking at the laptop now)

Kingston SSD (boot drive) 120GB (about £17-19 on ebay)

Kingston SSD (Data drive) 480GB (this one was just a disk drive to HDD caddy, think it was like £2.99)

So yeah, I have a few more upgrades to do, going to upgrade the processor, the ram, replace the back lighting (If possible) and if any of you have any other upgrades you can recommend. I've heard mention of a hidden port under where the disk drive is, but I've not been adventurous enough to explore that deep yet, as my tools would probably break the clips. So if anybody has any recommendations, please let me know! You can steam me at EpicFatGuy (if thats allowed here)

Edited by StratusEnd

• 5 months later...

Hello friend, i have a dell e6440. I have read this forum and its wonderfull. 
i have a question. 
I would like to buy i7 4900mq or 4910mq. What do i do ? Any suggestions to this processor? 
Have i to do the same like i7 4800?

Someone person can help me ? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 17:06, Antonio said:

Hola amigo, tengo un Dell E6440. He leído este foro y es maravilloso. 
tengo una pregunta. 
Me gustaría comprar i7 4900mq o 4910mq. Qué debo hacer ? ¿Alguna sugerencia para este procesador? 
¿Tengo que hacer lo mismo que i7 4800?

¿Alguien puede ayudarme? 

Hello again, I have read the 9 pages that this topic has, but I have several doubts about it because with so much information I am lost.

I have a Dell e6440 and I have already mounted the 4910mq, I already use the throttlestop for negative voltages. The current temperature ranges from 60 to 87 degrees Celsius.

I have the latest Bios A24. And from all that I read I understand that the TDP is blocked at 37W and the processor I have is one of 47W. I have seen stress tests and as I have it reaches 40w. I have the model that comes with FHD screen, amd radeon and the most suitable heatsink for these issues.

Are any of you available so you can help me?

Thank you

I just speak Spanish and use google translator

Captura.thumb.JPG.7f2918fc0a71a100aa8ede09b81683e3.JPG

• 2 months later...

Purchased a used e6440. 

It has the i7, and dedicated AMD Radeon Graphics.

Mods so far are upgrading to 16gb ram, and a 1tb ssd. Anything else I should do? 

Any thoughts on best quad core? 

ETA: I just purchased a 6430 dual fin heat sink, and I will post up what it takes to make it work, or if it for certain will not. 

Edited by chally
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey ya'll. I'm planning to buy a e6440 soon. Where do you get your fhd panels from?  I can't seem one. Can anyone provide an aliexpress link for it? since they're one of the only websites (along with some other chinese ones like banggood and gearbest) that deliver here (Pakistan).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all, and best wishes for the new year.

Hope this forum is still alive.

I have a 6440 and its keyboard does not have backlight, and it does not have a pointer key.

Is it possible to order a new one with these options and will they work ?

• 1 year later...

Hiya, sorry i'm late sir! :baby:

I bought my 6440 for a very good price a couple years ago but haven't used it much. I've had a tidyup, my desktop is having a holiday and the Dell is my daily driver now. I have RAID SATA (Stripe) via the mini slot and 2.5" drives with very good results. The i7-2712MQ was also working well. 

Since Haswell are cheap and available, I got an i7 4900MQ. The results are as predicted in post 1, many pages and years above! i.e. the same.

95W PSU does not have enough oomph for full power but 135W allows 37W TDP. I think this may be the source of some of the issues in the most recent posts.

Geekbench 5 results (both CPUs identical)

Single core 826

Multicore 2602. 

CPUZ Bench stress sees steady 3.9G on all cores and lots of heat! The 95W PSU throttle around 20W, 70% Utilisation and around 2G on clock speed.

Hoping to get the pics up soon.... when I'm out of probabation.

Edited by dogshome
Noob!

Using Throttlestop, --80mV gives a BSOD. -50 appears OK, but makes no difference in terms of benchmark.

Anyone figured how to allow 47W, the BIOS variables above don't seem to change these fundamentals. The one for RAID 0 clearly works. I'm on A24 BIOS.

The cooling fan definitely won't handle it and maybe not the supply devices either!

Edited by dogshome
NoobNoob.

More info - I am getting about 40W and better Geekbench scores with making sure there are no updates or antivirus activities.

Single core 946

Multicore 3363

These are better than a typical 8th gen i5 with 4 cores. 

I have also noticed the Pro 3X severly limits power back down to 20W and consequently lower marks (and temperatures). 135W direct to the laptop is much better.

Edited by dogshome
more testing

Argh! The battery also has a huge effect on available power. A genuine (but well worn) item allows 40W. A Newish clone only 20 ish. Even with an i5 (also 37W) it limits power to 20W. The dock drops power very, very slightly. 

I'm using slim batteries, the newish one allegedly 5200mAH. I Don't beleeve it.

TDP of 37/40W is hard locked on the on the motherboard for sure as I've played with every UEFA variable now with BIOS from A02 to A24.

So with Dell battery, 16GB of 14200 DDR3L we are getting 960 and 3336.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/14071143

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello

I doubt anyone's looking at this forum much these days, but wonder whether anyone knows if an e6440 could take an Innolux N140HCG-GQ2 screen. I've read on Thinkpad forums and blog posts that a T440p, which also appears to use the same AUO screen my laptop currently has (and which is having problems) could also use this lower-power, higher gamut screen, attached with either extra brackets or adhesive/tape. I assume this means the 30-pin EDP connector is in the same place (photos I've looked at suggest it's at least close to the same).

So, if anyone's actually used this screen or something similar, I'd love to know.

Thanks

• 4 months later...
On 3/30/2022 at 4:47 PM, dogshome said:

Hiya, sorry i'm late sir! :baby:

I bought my 6440 for a very good price a couple years ago but haven't used it much. I've had a tidyup, my desktop is having a holiday and the Dell is my daily driver now. I have RAID SATA (Stripe) via the mini slot and 2.5" drives with very good results. The i7-2712MQ was also working well. 

Since Haswell are cheap and available, I got an i7 4900MQ. The results are as predicted in post 1, many pages and years above! i.e. the same.

95W PSU does not have enough oomph for full power but 135W allows 37W TDP. I think this may be the source of some of the issues in the most recent posts.

Geekbench 5 results (both CPUs identical)

Single core 826

Multicore 2602. 

CPUZ Bench stress sees steady 3.9G on all cores and lots of heat! The 95W PSU throttle around 20W, 70% Utilisation and around 2G on clock speed.

Hoping to get the pics up soon.... when I'm out of probabation.

I'm struggling to get passed 20-25W with my 4310M. I have tried everything. I wonder if it's my battery? I have tried 90w and 130w power adapters. No change. Can you share your battery part numbers? I just bought an i7-4900MQ as they're very cheap these days.