axderka

Alienware m17xr3 Upgrade help

I have a 460m in my alienware right now, and it's not getting the job done. What all do I need in order to upgrade it to a 7970m? Do I need a new power supply? (Not a/c adapter). How would I go about getting something like that? I just need help overall... :adore:

Hello,

1.you need to flash an unlock bios and disable Intel Hd 3000 card (integrated graphic card),

2.buy a AMD heatsink 6990m heatsink is compatible with 7970m and 580m heatsink is compatible with 680m. you need new thermal pads too.

3. you don't need new porwer addapter, the 230w is perfect for any single card configuration. i hope you have that one, because my first r3 with gtx 460 came with 230w adapter.

if you have 3D Monitor, watch out, you might be losing 3D feature switching to AMD. have fun.

How would I be able to see if I had a 3d monitor or not? I just got a m17xr3 with no gpu for free and trying to pick out a gpu.

heh, hate to necropost but for anyone alse that might come across this post looking for the same info

On 2/12/2016 at 9:43 AM, Milocinia said:

How would I be able to see if I had a 3d monitor or not? I just got a m17xr3 with no gpu for free and trying to pick out a gpu.

look for your service tag and run it through dell support by tag, click on the config tag and then original config, its pretty much all sorted out by what it is, unless you want to take apart the machine, not much of a hassle really, 2 screws for the bottom lid and 5 for the KB trim and see what connection the screens using, closest to the optical drive shall be 3d, least one my r4 it was, pretty sure that the r3 is the same

On 9/21/2013 at 4:04 AM, axderka said:

I have a 460m in my alienware right now, and it's not getting the job done. What all do I need in order to upgrade it to a 7970m? Do I need a new power supply? (Not a/c adapter). How would I go about getting something like that? I just need help overall... :adore:

i dont think that u need to upgrade your PSU for upgrading to HD7970M..it would work fine even the heatsink might too because they look similar...but might be different from the fitting 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Brian
      Since we didn't have one yet, this is it. I'll update this post with the newest driver releases,and news for the R3. Please keep all M17x-R3 posts confined to this thread if possible.

System Files Download Links System Bios Bios A03 Chipset Intel HM67 Cougar Point chipset, Intel Management Engine Interface Audio IDT 92HD73,A00. If the Dell IDT driver gives you problems, try this one. Card Reader Realtek RTS5209 Card Reader USB 3.0 NEC USB 3.0 Touchpad Synaptics TouchPad - 15.1.19, A00 Bluetooth Dell Wireless 375 Bluetooth Module - 6.3.0.6300, A00 Dell Wireless 1501 Half Mini-Card Dell Wireless WLAN 1501 Half MiniCard - 5.60.48.35, A00 Intel Wireless 6300 Intel WiFi Link 6300 - 13.3, A00 Intel WiMAX Link 6250 Intel WiMAX Link 6250 - tic TRFXW0115MUP, A06-1 Intel Wifi Link 6250 Intel Wifi Link 6250 - TRWFW1318D,A04 Atheros AR8151 Atheros AR8151 - 1.0.0.36,A00 Intel Rapid Storage (HDD) Intel Rapid Storage Technology - 10.0.0.1046,A00 Free Fall Sensor ST Microelectronics DE351DL Free Fall Sensor - 2.00.11.14, A00 AMD 6870M Display AMD Mobility Radeon HD6870 - 8.80.6-101202a-109902C-Dell.4, A00 Intel HD Graphics 3000 Intel HD Graphics 3000 - 2246, A00 nVidia Internal 3D Stereo Controller nVidia Internal 3D Stereo Controller - 266.08, A00 nVidia GeForce GTX 460M nVidia GeForce GTX 460M -266.08, A00 Alienware OSD Alienware OSD Application - 0.31.0.8C, A00 Alienware Command Center Alienware Command Center - 2.6.2.0, A00 Alienware Wallpapers Alienware Wallpapers - A01 Alienware GUISE custom theme Custom Desktop Themes - A-02 Alienguise Theme Combo-Win7   Intel Management Engine Interface
    • By Tfz
      Hello everyone, I am new here, I have been reffered to this site from Nvidia Geforce Forums.
      I own an Alienware m18x (R1) I use ( ) because it has been modded a lot and not from me so it hasnt any similarity to a true R1.
      The sad part is that after one year of mid-use my computer started black screens and stuff.
      We (me and my tech) believe that its a burned GPU / Problematic One. (I have currently Nvidia Geforce GTX 675m installed).
      I want everyone who knows and can help me to tell me which card can my machine support, for an upgrade.
      I am currently aware of that video
      so no I am not looking for that upgrade.I am currently looking forward to change my card to Nvidia Geforce 880m and I want to know if my system can support that upgrade.
      My Mobile PCI Express Module is MXM 3
      I have a 330 watt power supply for my Laptop.
      My Processor is ARK | Intel® Core
      I also have 2x 4GB DDR3 Memory Sticks and 2x2 2GB DDR3 currently 12 GM RAM installed.
      Here are some photos of my card.
      http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img909/6463/gqpOAb.jpg
      http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img661/6049/EvRN04.jpg
      and motherboard.
      http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img537/5376/LFdJp9.jpg
      http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img540/6320/nPg4gB.jpg
      http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img538/1529/8x95fw.jpg
      I am expecting for answers that can have a huge posibility of success 95%, I dont want to burn my machine,niether buy a card that cant be used.
      I am willing to give more info about everything that is needed, BIOS version details about each part watt-volt usage etc.
      Suggestions are also welcome.
      Thanks for your time.
    • By Teldarius
      Hello,
      I try to install a GTX770M on my M17XR4, origin is a GTX660M.
      Problem, I have read several forums looking for specific information, but it is difficult to make sense of things.
      I seek a tutorial that shows all the stages of change.
      Can you help me "how to".
      thank you
    • By s1nn37
      Hey guys
      I was just curios to see if its worth while upgrading to 7970 instead of 675?
      also from what i've read it sud be a straight plug in and play job after removing drivers.
      Oh am also aware amd cards use different brackets.
      Thanks
      p.s is ebay the only good place to look?
      :chuncky:
    • By Brian
      Ok I have mentioned that I ran into issues after I uninstalled the Dell AMD 6970M driver and replaced it with the Catalyst 11.4. Specifically, the FN+F7 functionality was lost and I had to resort to manual switching (via control panel) to the IGP. However, even when doing so, I noticed the battery life would not register higher than 2 hours.
      I brought this up over at NBR and Inap mentioned he got FN+F7 working fine with the 11.4 Catalyst. Batboy then made a post specifying the following:
      I tried the above except I did not do a reformat but rather uninstalled the Dell AMD driver and went straight to the 11.4 Catalysts.
      So this brings me to the point of this thread: Please share any tips/tricks you have for successfully reformatting the R3.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.