clarenc3

Y400/Y500 boot from mSATA

Hi all,

I'm having big troubles booting from the mSATA when a hard drive is inserted in the 2.5" hard drive bay. I'm attempting to boot Ubuntu off the mSATA and GRUB (bootloader) won't even load; it just reaches a black screen and enters a high-power state. If I unplug the 2.5" drive and leave it out OR insert it in the CD/DVD with a caddy, it boots mSATA fine.

Can anyone please confirm that booting mSATA works with 2.5" inserted? Could this possibly be a manufacturing error? BIOS?

Hi all,

I'm having big troubles booting from the mSATA when a hard drive is inserted in the 2.5" hard drive bay. I'm attempting to boot Ubuntu off the mSATA and GRUB (bootloader) won't even load; it just reaches a black screen and enters a high-power state. If I unplug the 2.5" drive and leave it out OR insert it in the CD/DVD with a caddy, it boots mSATA fine.

Can anyone please confirm that booting mSATA works with 2.5" inserted? Could this possibly be a manufacturing error? BIOS?

The 2.5" drive contains the pre-loaded windows 8? When you installed Ubuntu, the 2,5'' drive was plugged-in? Are you sure that this has nothing to do with the Ubuntu installation?

Maybe I'm wrong but I believe that it's an installation problem. If I understand correctly the 2,5'' contains windows 8 pre-installed (UEFI-installation) then you plugged-off the hdd, you plugged-in the ssd, you turn your bios to legacy and you installed Ubuntu in BIOS mode (Not UEFI), and now you are trying to go from one OS to another, by changing the boot priority from the BIOS.

You can check this also (similar to you)

Dual Boot Windows 8 on SSD and Ubuntu on HDD - Page 2

"Pre-installed Windows8 mostly comes installed in UEFI mode... if that is the case then Ubuntu too must be installed in UEFI mode. For this you need to re-partition your HDD with GPT table as we cannot UEFI boot from 'msdos' table."

or you can ask support from Ubuntu forums.

I don't think that it's hardware or bios settings problem.

Please report back if you find any solution to this. I'm also interresting to this.

Sorry for my english...

EDIT: "http://askubuntu.com/questions/290329/lenovo-y500-dual-booting-ubuntu-and-windows-8-stuck-on-purple-screen?lq=1

"The KEY, I found after trying for two days, is to set Boot Mode to Legacy, BUT boot UEFI first and Legacy Second."

EDIT1: http://askubuntu.com/questions/272570/unable-to-install-ubuntu-on-lenovo-y500

"Do standard installation.

Reboot. Press F2 during reboot.

Change boot order of network boot to the topmost.

Press F10 to save and reboot."

hi clarenc3. yes, mSata drive can be used as the boot drive. i'm using a crucial m4 as the boot drive, albeit in windows 8. The trick here is to install Windows 8 or Ubuntu 64bit with the 2.5" HDD detached, and the bios set to UEFI. after installation, and after your first boot, you can then re-attach your 2.5" HDD, and let your OS detect that drive.

The 2.5" drive contains the pre-loaded windows 8? When you installed Ubuntu, the 2,5'' drive was plugged-in? Are you sure that this has nothing to do with the Ubuntu installation?

Maybe I'm wrong but I believe that it's an installation problem. If I understand correctly the 2,5'' contains windows 8 pre-installed (UEFI-installation) then you plugged-off the hdd, you plugged-in the ssd, you turn your bios to legacy and you installed Ubuntu in BIOS mode (Not UEFI), and now you are trying to go from one OS to another, by changing the boot priority from the BIOS.

Hi again and thanks for your reply.

I've replaced the 2.5" 1TB Win8 UEFI with 2.5" SSD with Win7 non-UEFI; that's why I think it has little to do with legacy settings. Again, if there was an installation problem Ubuntu wouldn't boot at all; now it boots only when the 2.5" isn't inserted.

- - - Updated - - -

hi clarenc3. yes, mSata drive can be used as the boot drive. i'm using a crucial m4 as the boot drive, albeit in windows 8. The trick here is to install Windows 8 or Ubuntu 64bit with the 2.5" HDD detached, and the bios set to UEFI. after installation, and after your first boot, you can then re-attach your 2.5" HDD, and let your OS detect that drive.

Hiya pektus, and thanks for the reply; good to see that someone is changing at least something in their notebook :)

Hmm, so you're running UEFI then? And you've got a 2.5" attached? I wonder if the problem is related to the way the BIOS treats Legacy booting :/ I'm non-UEFI on both Ubuntu and Windows; that's the only difference I can spot between our setups (and win8 of course...)

Unfortunately, I've already tried installing without the 2.5" attached which results in the same problem. BIOS (in Legacy) seems incredibly persistent on booting from the 2.5" when there is one. I guess I might just have to reinstall Win7 in UEFI (URGH...) and then try Ubuntu in UEFI too... Thanks for the tip!

Hi again and thanks for your reply.

I've replaced the 2.5" 1TB Win8 UEFI with 2.5" SSD with Win7 non-UEFI; that's why I think it has little to do with legacy settings. Again, if there was an installation problem Ubuntu wouldn't boot at all; now it boots only when the 2.5" isn't inserted.

- - - Updated - - -

Hiya pektus, and thanks for the reply; good to see that someone is changing at least something in their notebook :)

Hmm, so you're running UEFI then? And you've got a 2.5" attached? I wonder if the problem is related to the way the BIOS treats Legacy booting :/ I'm non-UEFI on both Ubuntu and Windows; that's the only difference I can spot between our setups (and win8 of course...)

Unfortunately, I've already tried installing without the 2.5" attached which results in the same problem. BIOS (in Legacy) seems incredibly persistent on booting from the 2.5" when there is one. I guess I might just have to reinstall Win7 in UEFI (URGH...) and then try Ubuntu in UEFI too... Thanks for the tip!

oh, good luck on installing Win7 in UEFI.. i had trouble installing it. both installation methods (USB and DVD) hangs on the windows 7 logo bootup. in any case, if you're successful in installing windows 7 in UEFI, please post on how you go about it as i'm also eager in downgrading to windows 7. the only way i was able to install windows 7 with my y500 is by using legacy mode, but i'm not comfortable doing that. i've tried also installing windows 7 in legacy, then, after installation and first bootup, rebooted the laptop and set bios to UEFI, and it didn't work (didn't boot).

also, in legacy mode, you can switch which physical drive the laptop should boot from. maybe you should try that first.

--- update

i've found this post in the lenovo forums that might help you. will also try this method this weekend. :)

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Y500-fails-on-installing-Windows-7-GPT-partition-styled/td-p/969363

I don't really understand which drive you have but I can clarify some info for you: UEFI works with GPT disk drives. If you want to use Legacy and install Ubuntu or Windows 7 convert the disk to MBR.

I hope someone could post some tutorial or just pictures on a successful installation on y500/y400 laptop. I'm on the process of replacing my HDD with a msata as boot drive.

i am using the crucial m4 msata to boot win8 and used my hdd to boot ubuntu. i would assume it would work vice versa :S

• Thumbs Up 1