eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Hi everyone. I received my PE4L v2.1 EC060A yesterday and am expecting delivery of Sapphire Radeon 7770 and Corsair CX430M (modular psu) in a few hours. I have no desktop building experience so I am hoping one of you can confirm I have the correct steps in attaching all the cables:

My laptop: Thinkpad T500, W7 Pro 64 bit dual boot with Ubuntu, Core 2 Duo p8700 2.53 ghz, 2gb ram, Intel integrated 4500mhd.

Originally, my laptop had switchable graphics with Radeon 3650, but that is now broken and I disabled it in bios, and I believe I uninstalled the 3650 drivers.

How I plan to connect everything:

Since I have Intel C2D ICH9M chipset, I will put the PE4L on x1 SW2 setting and no delay SW1.

Connect 5v/12v power supply cable to PE4L, and find suitable 4 pin plug on CX430M

Plug in 7770 to PE4L, plug 6pin power connector from CX430M to 7770

Plug 24 pin plug from CX430M to SWEX power supply switch

Connect monitor to 7770

Unused: Dupont 2 pin cable (red and black)

Powering on and 1st startup:

Turn on CX430M, turn on SWEX switch

Begin booting W7, press F8 to pause boot

Plug in PE4L express card adapter

Resume booting W7

After booting, I am hoping my external monitor will become primary display and W7 will begin searching for 7770 drivers.

I have a final question. If I am done using 7770 and I want to revert to integrated graphics, what is the procedure? Do I need to standby windows or restart computer before unplugging PE4L?

Thanks for your help

In terms of CPU Performance Haswell hasn't been a huge update. Haswell 4770K has less then 8% performance gain compared to Ivy Bridge 3770K.

In fact 3770K runs eg. Crysis 3 with 8 FPS more then 4770K.

On the other hand Haswell has made huge improvements in terms of energy consumption.

In terms of CPU Performance Haswell hasn't been a huge update. Haswell 4770K has less then 8% performance gain compared to Ivy Bridge 3770K.

In fact 3770K runs eg. Crysis 3 with 8 FPS more then 4770K.

On the other hand Haswell has made huge improvements in terms of energy consumption.

The Haswell ULT (ULV) platform, eg: i5-4300U, has made huge improvements in energy consumption. Those CPUs have the chipset integrated onto the CPU die.

The Haswell i7-quads require a separate Series-8 chipset and see little power consumption and performance improvement over their older Ivy Bridge cousins. Can see this in the wifi websurfing test of IVB->Haswell updates of:

Review Lenovo ThinkPad W530 N1K43GE Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

Review Lenovo ThinkPad W540 Workstation - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

Review Dell Latitude E6530 Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

Review Dell Latitude E6540 (i7-4800MQ/HD 8790M) Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

Hi everyone. I would like to tell you that yesterday I bought a new Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. The specs of this laptop is:

Model: Fujitsu Lifebook AH532/G21

CPU: Intel core i7-3612QM 2.1GHz, up to 2.9GHz

RAM: 6.0 GBs

iGPU: Intel HD 4000

dGPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 620M

Alright, since it's my first laptop with discrete GPU, I need some of your assistance to make it work with my GTX 660 eGPU.

Hey guys, first of all - many thanks to you all for putting all this information together! It's been very informative.

I have, what might be a dumb question but I'm hoping to hook up a spare GPU (gtx 470) to my work laptop (Lenovo x230 - details below).

Problem is I do have admin rights on the laptop but not complete access... I'm unable to do certain things like edit firewall/virus protection settings etc but I can install things. Also, the hard drive is encrypted.

Will I still be able to run the DIY eGPU setup 1.x or is there a great chance I'll run into issues?

Model: Lenovo x230

CPU: Intel core i5 - 3340

RAM: 8.0 GBs

iGPU: Intel HD 4000

eGPU: Gigabyte GTX470 1.2GB

PSU: Thermaltake 450w (some rubbish out of a case)

WIll buy the PE4L ( PCIe Adapter V2.1 ) with box.

Thanks in advance!

Just noticed that i have a free mSATA solid state drive slot, would i be able to use it somehow to get better performance?

Really could use some input regarding the PSU and some input about my question above. :P

I got the PSU now, is this enough to power a GTX5XX - GTX6XX card ? And if it is sufficient what converters would i need?

PSU Connectors 24 Pin, 4 Pin 12 V, SATA.

The current of 19A on +12V is quite enough in most of the cases (depends which GTX6xx you are gonna use)

You have 220 Watts in your case. ONLY GTX 690 needs more than that (300Watt)

I suggest to check here:

GTX 6xx / 7xx series overview v1.01

Also have in mind that your CPU also drains some power from the same source.

In most of the cases you will need this adapter/converter

New 6 Pin PCI E to 2 x 4 Pin Power Adapter Converter Cable 2014 | eBay

Just in case: take a look what power source your cards accepts: 1x6-pin or 2x6-pin or 1x8-pin

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys, first of all - many thanks to you all for putting all this information together! It's been very informative.

I have, what might be a dumb question but I'm hoping to hook up a spare GPU (gtx 470) to my work laptop (Lenovo x230 - details below).

Problem is I do have admin rights on the laptop but not complete access... I'm unable to do certain things like edit firewall/virus protection settings etc but I can install things. Also, the hard drive is encrypted.

In case that got into trouble - I suggest that you:

1) UN-instal your antivirus

2) Check if you can handle the task without antivirus program

3) Instal some Light-weigh antivirus like

avast! Free Antivirus 2014 - Download

So i have all the required items at hand:

a power supply: atx-350w

a graphics card: evga nvidia geforce gt640

the pe4h set: pci, expresscard adapter, power switch

and my laptop specs are:

windows 7

intel core-i3 330m 2.13ghz

4gb ddr3 ram

integrated nvidia geforce 310m

express card slot

i have tried disabling my integrated graphics and installing the egpu but it is just not working,

what am i missing?

or is this laptop just not gonna work?

please help,

appreciate it much,

thanks!

Afternoon all,

I can't see anyone who has tried to get eGPU working with the new Thinkpad W540 (unless I have missed something?). I have had my ViDock with Nvidia 670GTX running *flawlessly* on my current Thinkpad X230T via ExpressCard2 for the past two years and I'm considering picking up a new Thinkpad W540 to replace it as it has both Thunderbolt and ExpressCard2. I have a couple of initial questions:

1) I have not done eGPU with a laptop that has a discrete graphics card in addition to the Intel Integrated graphics - does this cause an issue? Will I need to constantly reboot for BIOS access to disable the discrete graphics when I want to use the eGPU and again to enable the discrete graphics when I want to do some gaming on the move? What are the chances I can simply run all three cards at the same time? (%eternal optimist mode engaged%)

2) I have my ViDock ExpressCard dock, while the W540 has an ExpressCard would I get any additional benfiit from picking up a "Sonnet Echo Pro ExpressCard PCIe 2.0 34 Thunderbolt Adapter"? Either in speed/throughput or plug and play connectivity over the current ExpressCard connection?

If off the back of the answers I decide to pickup a W540 I will happily do a full write-up of my experiences and lessons learned.

Thanks in advance

Afternoon all,

I can't see anyone who has tried to get eGPU working with the new Thinkpad W540 (unless I have missed something?). I have had my ViDock with Nvidia 670GTX running *flawlessly* on my current Thinkpad X230T via ExpressCard2 for the past two years and I'm considering picking up a new Thinkpad W540 to replace it as it has both Thunderbolt and ExpressCard2. I have a couple of initial questions:

1) I have not done eGPU with a laptop that has a discrete graphics card in addition to the Intel Integrated graphics - does this cause an issue? Will I need to constantly reboot for BIOS access to disable the discrete graphics when I want to use the eGPU and again to enable the discrete graphics when I want to do some gaming on the move? What are the chances I can simply run all three cards at the same time? (%eternal optimist mode engaged%)

2) I have my ViDock ExpressCard dock, while the W540 has an ExpressCard would I get any additional benfiit from picking up a "Sonnet Echo Pro ExpressCard PCIe 2.0 34 Thunderbolt Adapter"? Either in speed/throughput or plug and play connectivity over the current ExpressCard connection?

If off the back of the answers I decide to pickup a W540 I will happily do a full write-up of my experiences and lessons learned.

Thanks in advance

The Sonnet Echo Expresscard adapter is a Thunderbolt to expresscard adapter. Since the W540 has both an expresscard AND Thunderbolt port there is no need to acquire that adapter. Just use the expresscard slot to begin with if intending to use a PE4L 2.1b (Expresscard to pcie adapter). Much simpler and will have a slight performance edge since there's no latency introduced going from pcie -> Thunderbolt -> pcie.

Only thing you might consider is implementing a faster native Thunderbolt eGPU. http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3062-%5Bguide%5D-2012-13-mbp-gtx660ti-hd7870%40x2-2-th05.html gives a performance between x1.2Opt (expresscard) and x2 2.0 (~10Gbps Thunderbolt). Though the least expensive Firmtek Thunderbolt to pci-e adapter starts at $199 and requires some modification to host a full sized video card. REF: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/5793-cheapest-pcie-thunderbolt.html .

You may even decide the W540 is not much of an upgrade from a W530 and just stay with one of those, or a Dell M4700, if you intended to only run an expresscard eGPU implementation. Haswell's power consumption benefits are mostly confined to the ULT (ULV) platform that integrates the CPU+iGPU+chipset on the single die. The quad-core Haswell CPUs are only a fraction faster with minimal power consumption gains.

Running a NVidia dGPU + eGPU is possible however the dGPU is given the Optimus internal LCD mode which also means the eGPU doesn't gain x1 pci-e compression. For best NVidia eGPU feature set it's advised that the dGPU be disabled. A less cumbersome way of disabling the dGPU than via the BIOS is doing it using the DIY eGPU Setup 1.x pre-boot software.

Otherwise, have you considered a Haswell 14" Dell Latitude E6440? They can be configured with an expresscard slot, HD8690M dGPU (b/w a GT640LE and GT640M), have a socketted CPU so can be upgraded to a i7-quad and have a 900P LCD option. The LCD *probably* used eDP which would mean it could be upgraded to a 1080P or greater resolution panel. They also have real mouse buttons.

Hmm. After a lot of issues now I have a good thing!

Just for experiments and now I have the B version cable I tried to run 1.2, without much faith, since with the old cable I got BSOD. But for my surprise, it worked! I usually run 3Dmark 03 and 11, and both worked and increased their scores.

Here a screenshot, had to leave Diablo 3 on background so the 1.2 goes on. (Sorry about the size)

[ATTACH]11149[/ATTACH]

And the AMD Radeon R9 270X video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-3210M Processor,Acer VA50_HC_CR

Got 500 points over the 1.1

Cheers.

Acer V3-571 + R9 270X x1 2.0 mPCIe eGPU implementation writeup?

@Kuri, would you mind doing a complete post writeup of your Acer V3-571 + R9 270X x1 2.0 mPCIe eGPU implementation. I understand those Acer systems are quite popular. Such a post giving confidence for owners or would-be owners to do their own eGPU implementation with that system.

Yesterday, I have finally got eGPU working on my new laptop. Benchmarks are on the way. All credits goes to @Tech Inferno Fan for providing the DIY setup and @angrethosenear for the DSDT override.

System configuration

Fujitsu Lifebook AH532/G21

Intel core i7-3612QM 2.1Ghz

6GB RAM

Intel HD4000 iGPU + Nvidia Geforce GT 620M dGPU

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

eGPU configuration

EVGA GTX660 eGPU

PE4L-EC060A 2.1b

DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 to disable the dGPU and perform PCI compaction to overcome error 12

Option: DSDT override if want dGPU + eGPU active at the same time, though eGPU sees degraded performance as dGPU is given Optimus features (no x1 pci-e compression and no Intel LCD mode)

Benchmark scores

3DMark06: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm06/17556787

3DMark Vantage: http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/4984203

3DMark11: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8114948

3DMark: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/2677163?

• Thumbs Up 1

The Sonnet Echo Expresscard adapter is a Thunderbolt to expresscard adapter. Since the W540 has both an expresscard AND Thunderbolt port there is no need to acquire that adapter. Just use the expresscard slot to begin with if intending to use a PE4L 2.1b (Expresscard to pcie adapter). Much simpler and will have a slight performance edge since there's no latency introduced going from pcie -> Thunderbolt -> pcie.

Perfect, that is exactly the information I was looking for. I wasn't sure if the speed increase possible with TB would allow the ExpressCard to hit its absolute maximum performance. If you think that native ExpressCard would receive better performance then I'm happy with that.

Only thing you might consider is implementing a faster native Thunderbolt eGPU. http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3062-%5Bguide%5D-2012-13-mbp-gtx660ti-hd7870%40x2-2-th05.html gives a performance between x1.2Opt (expresscard) and x2 2.0 (~10Gbps Thunderbolt). Though the least expensive Firmtek Thunderbolt to pci-e adapter starts at $199 and requires some modification to host a full sized video card. REF: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/5793-cheapest-pcie-thunderbolt.html .

I'm definitely willing to buy a thunderbolt eGPU chassis, but from what I'm reading, TB is less "friendly" at the moment so given I already have a working ExpressCard viDock I'll likely wait until TB is available on more machines, especially tablet portable machines like my current X230T.

You may even decide the W540 is not much of an upgrade from a W530 and just stay with one of those, or a Dell M4700, if you intended to only run an expresscard eGPU implementation. Haswell's power consumption benefits are mostly confined to the ULT (ULV) platform that integrates the CPU+iGPU+chipset on the single die. The quad-core Haswell CPUs are only a fraction faster with minimal power consumption gains.

My ideal scenario is a Surface Pro tablet with a Thunderbolt port, I desire portability over most other things... I'm considering a more workstation device for the quad cpu and additional physics processing for gaming, but my ideal is still a Surface Pro or ultra thin notebook like Dell Precision 3800 or Lenovo Carbon X1... something like that.

Basically I'm just waiting to throw big piles of cash at whichever of these completely inept manufacturers decide to create a half decent ultra-portable machine with a thunderbolt port first....

Running a NVidia dGPU + eGPU is possible however the dGPU is given the Optimus internal LCD mode which also means the eGPU doesn't gain x1 pci-e compression. For best NVidia eGPU feature set it's advised that the dGPU be disabled. A less cumbersome way of disabling the dGPU than via the BIOS is doing it using the DIY eGPU Setup 1.x pre-boot software.

Just checking I understand this correctly, would the x1 pci-e compression only affect if I wanted to run the card to power the internal laptop screen? Or is it overall for external screen performance as well? If internal screen only I think I can live with that as I've only run it on the internal screen a handful of times.

Otherwise, have you considered a Haswell 14" Dell Latitude E6440? They can be configured with an expresscard slot, HD8690M dGPU (b/w a GT640LE and GT640M), have a socketted CPU so can be upgraded to a i7-quad and have a 900P LCD option. The LCD *probably* used eDP which would mean it could be upgraded to a 1080P or greater resolution panel. They also have real mouse buttons.

Interesting - it was my understanding that the Latitude E6440 cannot be configured with an ExpressCard? I have even called Dell to query this in the past and they have confirmed that although the website says it is an option - they do not actually offer it. Have you ever seen an E6440 with an ExpressCard slot? I would possibly consider it....

Great. Nearly there. Would you mind including the 3dmark06 bench results with this post? Thanks.

Just checking I understand this correctly, would the x1 pci-e compression only affect if I wanted to run the card to power the internal laptop screen? Or is it overall for external screen performance as well? If internal screen only I think I can live with that as I've only run it on the internal screen a handful of times.

Interesting - it was my understanding that the Latitude E6440 cannot be configured with an ExpressCard? I have even called Dell to query this in the past and they have confirmed that although the website says it is an option - they do not actually offer it. Have you ever seen an E6440 with an ExpressCard slot? I would possibly consider it....

The x1 pci-e compression engages only if there is an iGPU and a NVidia dGPU is not on the pci-e bus. At least that's the case in Win7. Win8 drivers act a little differently so not sure if just disabling the dGPU in the control panel is sufficient to engage the x1 pci-e compression there.

Looks like Intel has manufacturers by the gonads, hence the diminishing eGPU candidate notebook list. Seems to me Intel are putting as many obstacles as they can to prevent eGPU use. Consider if NVidia's Maxwell platform scales to what the recently released GTX750 does then we may see a 100W Titan or a super-titan at say 250W-300W. If we had a high bandwidth backend then imagine having two or four of those providing *pluggable* CUDA/OpenCL supercomputing powers. We've got the DSDT override to be able to accomodate ALL of them. Pixar may then find home users creating competing animated movies and Intel would have a serious competitor to their CPU market :)

Notebookcheck's E6440 review has a picture showing an expresscard slot though they don't list it in the specs. Dell Australia advised me that local systems here don't get an expresscard, but US ones get an option. If it can be equipped with one then it's about the best affordable thin-and-light Haswell eGPU candidate machine available: 14" 900P (with *likely* 1080P user upgrade option), socketted CPU, relatively thin and light, 3yr NBD warranty, HD8690M dGPU option, 6/9 cell battery options.

If not, I was advised by HP that they are working on their next gen very thin systems with Thunderbolt ports. Though a negative being Haswell being the last to have a socketted CPU option. If my 2570P had a 900P/1080P LCD it would be near on the best portable expresscard eGPU systems available atm (i7-quad, RAID-0 capable, eSATAp, 6/9-cell battery, 3YR NBD warranty). Haswell i7-quads see very little performance and power consumption improvement over Ivy Bridge.

Notebookcheck's E6440 review has a picture showing an expresscard slot though they don't list it in the specs. Dell Australia advised me that local systems here don't get an expresscard, but US ones get an option. If it can be equipped with one then it's about the best affordable thin-and-light Haswell eGPU candidate machine available: 14" 900P (with *likely* 1080P user upgrade option), socketted CPU, relatively thin and light, 3yr NBD warranty, HD8690M dGPU option, 6/9 cell battery options.

yes - it looks like it is an option in other countries but not in the UK... which sucks muchly :(

If not, I was advised by HP that they are working on their next gen very thin systems with Thunderbolt ports.

That would be excellent news... finally but as it should have happened 2 generations ago I'm not going to hold my breath until I see them. They have added them to the Zbook 15/17 already but that is not exactly portable and have no touch screen options.

Though a negative being Haswell being the last to have a socketted CPU option. If my 2570P had a 900P/1080P LCD it would be near on the best portable expresscard eGPU systems available atm (i7-quad, RAID-0 capable, eSATAp, 6/9-cell battery, 3YR NBD warranty). Haswell i7-quads see very little performance and power consumption improvement over Ivy Bridge.

I've got a Thinkpad X230T currently (similar to the HP 2570p, but in my opinion better as it has touchscreen/digitiser and swivel screen on it) and as I recall some Haswell chips are compatible with IvyBridge chipsets.... I'm now considering if I can put a quad Ivy or Haswell chip in my X230T if it is socketed.... (edit - just checked and the Lenovo X-series laptops are all CPU soldered. meh.)

I've got a Thinkpad X230T currently (similar to the HP 2570p, but in my opinion better as it has touchscreen/digitiser and swivel screen on it) and as I recall some Haswell chips are compatible with IvyBridge chipsets.... I'm now considering if I can put a quad Ivy or Haswell chip in my X230T if it is socketed.... (edit - just checked and the Lenovo X-series laptops are all CPU soldered. meh.)

X230T uses a soldered CPU. Only way you'd upgrade it's CPU would be having a pro desolder it and then add a 35W i7-quad like a i7-3612QM or i7-3632QM. Still questionable if after going to all the trouble and expense of doing that whether the system's cooling system could handle running one of those at full load. Would love to see someone try :)

A more practical option would be consider a Haswell 12.5" Fujitsu T734 tablet insteadl. It has a digitizer, expresscard slot and the US site lists it with a i7-quad option. Though Fujitsu systems can be quite pricey.

LIFEBOOK T734 - Fujitsu CEMEA&I

Fujitsu: Fujitsu America

X230T uses a soldered CPU. Only way you'd upgrade it's CPU would be having a pro desolder it and then add a 35W i7-quad like a i7-3612QM or i7-3632QM. Still questionable if after going to all the trouble and expense of doing that whether the system's cooling system could handle running one of those at full load. Would love to see someone try :)

A more practical option would be consider a Haswell 12.5" Fujitsu T734 tablet insteadl. It has a digitizer, expresscard slot and the US site lists it with a i7-quad option. Though Fujitsu systems can be quite pricey.

LIFEBOOK T734 - Fujitsu CEMEA&I

Fujitsu: Fujitsu America

I looked at that a while back, but the same low resolution 1366x768 screen and no high res options killed it for me. I've got that in my X230T and it very frustrating at times :(

I looked at that a while back, but the same low resolution 1366x768 screen and no high res options killed it for me. I've got that in my X230T and it very frustrating at times :(

Turns out the Lenovo X220 has a dormant eDP wired to the LVDS LCD connector. A technically minded user was able to tap it to rewire in a FHD 12.5" eDP LCD on a X220. Maybe the same thing can be done on a X230/X230T? See forum.thinkpads.com • View topic - X220 display mod with 12.5" FHD IPS panel from Dell XPS 12 ? if interested.

I see your frustration in getting a thin-and-light system with a high-resolution panel, expresscard/TB port and i7-quad upgradability. I've had a 14" HP 8470P as a candidate which betters the 2570P's panel but gave it a miss. It's noticably bigger than my 2570P. Though there is some suggestion here that the next HP ZBooks (Haswell refresh?) may have a Thunderbolt 2 port. Currently only the ZBook 15 and 17 have it. If the ZBook 14 gets it then it would make a great TB2 eGPU candidate instead of say a 13" Macbook Retina.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.