eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

All attempts in the section "PCI compaction-> Run compact" lead to post "not found a solution." Error 12 is not resolved.

Maybe the reason is that Win7 is not English?

Run c:\eGPU\eGPU-Setup-mount to get V:, then open v:\config\devcon.txt with notepad. Search for a section that corresponds to your Device Manager "PCI BUS" section and delete it. Then set PCI compaction->endpoint=4GB, select Run Compact->scope=ALL devices on PCI BUS. If no solution is found then run Save Diags->Compact fails, boot to Win7, run c:\eGPU\eGPU=Setup-mount, archive the v:\diags folder, upload to mediafire.com and post a link to it here.

Hello. I have a bit of a silly question but... I a very attracted by the Dell E6540 to do some eGPU but the one I am interested in already has a graphic card (AMD Radeon HD 8790M Graphics 2GB GDDR5). Is it an issue to do some eGPU? I don't see why but better ask before buying it!

Hi

I Would to like build external gpu on my mac mini. What is the cheapest way to do it?

What gpu should i buy? my mac mini processor is Intel core i5-3210m.

For a 10Gbps link (recommended) use a US$200 native Thunderbolt Firmtek TT-PX as described at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/5793-cheapest-pcie-thunderbolt.html#post80963 . You'd need to to hack in a similar way as described at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4570-%5Bguide%5D-2012-13-rmbp-gtx660-sonnet-echo-express-se-%40-10gbps.html to overcome chassis clearance, provide greater input power and implement a PCI Reset Delay if using bootcamp/MBR mode.

For a 5Gbps link use the hardware as described at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4271-2013-11-macbook-air-win7-sonnet-echo-expresscard-pe4l-internal-lcd-%5Bus%24250%5D.html

Hello. I have a bit of a silly question but... I a very attracted by the Dell E6540 to do some eGPU but the one I am interested in already has a graphic card (AMD Radeon HD 8790M Graphics 2GB GDDR5). Is it an issue to do some eGPU? I don't see why but better ask before buying it!

We've found that the NVidia Optimus features (pci-e x1 compression and internal LCD mode) would disengage if the NVidia driver detected an AMD GPU. To overcome that requires the dGPU to be disabled so doesn't appear on the pci-e bus using either the bios or using Setup 1.x. AFAIK the Latitude bios doesn't allow that so would need Setup 1.x to do it. That was under Windows 7. Windows 8 has a different driver model so I can't be sure if the same applies. Though I would speculate NVidia would still enforce that against it's competitor.

Latitudes also set a rather high TOLUD as described at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2747-%5Bguide%5D-12-dell-e6230-gtx660@[email protected] making it difficult to host a eGPU in 32-bit PCI space. I was able to overcome that on the E6230 by having it boot and detect the eGPU after which the bios set a lower TOLUD. Is it the same on a E6540? In any case, disabling the dGPU using Setup 1.x will free up 32-bit resources to host the eGPU.

Only other issue may be with the HD8790M may use a special iGPU driver to obtain switchable functionality which may not be compatible with NVidia Optimus functionality. NVidia Optimus works great with the stock Intel iGPU driver. Of course if you would be using an AMD eGPU then that wouldn't apply since doesn't provide an internal LCD mode unless use third party LucidLogix Virtu software.

As we have no existing E6540 implementation you may be the first pioneer to work through sorting out how to do it.

We've found that the NVidia Optimus features (pci-e x1 compression and internal LCD mode) would disengage if the NVidia driver detected an AMD GPU. To overcome that requires the dGPU to be disabled so doesn't appear on the pci-e bus using either the bios or using Setup 1.x. AFAIK the Latitude bios doesn't allow that so would need Setup 1.x to do it. That was under Windows 7. Windows 8 has a different driver model so I can't be sure if the same applies. Though I would speculate NVidia would still enforce that against it's competitor.

Latitudes also set a rather high TOLUD as described at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2747-%5Bguide%5D-12-dell-e6230-gtx660@[email protected] making it difficult to host a eGPU in 32-bit PCI space. I was able to overcome that on the E6230 by having it boot and detect the eGPU after which the bios set a lower TOLUD. Is it the same on a E6540? In any case, disabling the dGPU using Setup 1.x will free up 32-bit resources to host the eGPU.

Only other issue may be with the HD8790M may use a special iGPU driver to obtain switchable functionality which may not be compatible with NVidia Optimus functionality. NVidia Optimus works great with the stock Intel iGPU driver. Of course if you would be using an AMD eGPU then that wouldn't apply since doesn't provide an internal LCD mode unless use third party LucidLogix Virtu software.

As we have no existing E6540 implementation you may be the first pioneer to work through sorting out how to do it.

I must admit that I don't like being the first trying those kind of things. But I am currently making a list of the laptop I am interested in for eGPU using the list you made to know the ones which are compatible. The latitude was just one of those but a very attractive one for me.

So if I understand correctly, if the laptop already has an internal GPU but an nvidia one like the Dell precision serie and the Lenovo W serie, it shouldn't be an issue right?

I could also check if the ATI GPU can be manually removed from the laptop but I doubt it.

post-14575-14494997101477_thumb.jpg

Ok since I managed to have eGPU run in Windows 8, I'll say how I made it.

Fist thing I installed Windows 8 in MBR (don't know if it changes anything though). Once done, turned on eGPU, plugged it in laptop while logged into Windows 8. It showed in Device Manager with error 31. Nevermind, I installed the Nvidia latest drivers and turned off PC and eGPU.

Then turned eGPU on, plugged to laptop, turned on laptop and got into Setup 1.2, enabled Gen2, chainload MBR without compaction even if I received the warning message. The result is in attached.

No big improvements though in FPS BUT in Crysis 3, in Welcome to the jungle, while minimal FPS hit 15 with Windows 7, it didn't get under 27 with Windows 8, Not bad huh?

• Thumbs Up 1

[ATTACH]10817[/ATTACH]

Ok since I managed to have eGPU run in Windows 8, I'll say how I made it.

Fist thing I installed Windows 8 in MBR (don't know if it changes anything though). Once done, turned on eGPU, plugged it in laptop while logged into Windows 8. It showed in Device Manager with error 31. Nevermind, I installed the Nvidia latest drivers and turned off PC and eGPU.

Then turned eGPU on, plugged to laptop, turned on laptop and got into Setup 1.2, enabled Gen2, chainload MBR without compaction even if I received the warning message. The result is in attached.

No big improvements though in FPS BUT in Crysis 3, in Welcome to the jungle, while minimal FPS hit 15 with Windows 7, it didn't get under 27 with Windows 8, Not bad huh?

Actually, the fact you installed Win8 in MBR is very important because it is the only way you can chainload from Setup 1.x -> Win8. If you do a UEFI / GPT based install, you cannot chainload.

We have about the same procedure, except I have to also load the DSDT table with Setup 1.x.

Are you running Win8 or Win8.1 ?

I like your very well thought out computer name! ;P

...No big improvements though in FPS BUT in Crysis 3, in Welcome to the jungle, while minimal FPS hit 15 with Windows 7, it didn't get under 27 with Windows 8, Not bad huh?

My understanding is that Win7 initialize 'core parking' by the default (which WIn8 apparently doesn't), which could be resolved by using Disable CPU Core Parking Utility

I guess you don't happen to dual-boot win7/win8 to test if this is the reason for lower FPS?

Apparently the unparking will gain significant performance in BF4, read about it here.

@angerthosenear

Thanks for the clarification.

I use Windows 8. I upgraded to Windows 8.1 but had too many crashes/issues so downgraded back to Win8.

Haha, that's my fertile imagination :)

@jacobsson

I already tested the unpark-core utility in Windows 7, but that didn't impact much the FPS, more the smoothness. In Windows 8, gains aren't that important either in BF4, maybe 5 FPS. However minimal FPS in Crysis 3 went from 15 to 27 or so in the "Welcome to the Jungle".

Run c:\eGPU\eGPU-Setup-mount to get V:, then open v:\config\devcon.txt with notepad. Search for a section that corresponds to your Device Manager "PCI BUS" section and delete it. Then set PCI compaction->endpoint=4GB, select Run Compact->scope=ALL devices on PCI BUS. If no solution is found then run Save Diags->Compact fails, boot to Win7, run c:\eGPU\eGPU=Setup-mount, archive the v:\diags folder, upload to mediafire.com and post a link to it here.

Thank you for your attention to my problem.

I could not follow the steps to remove the section "PCI BUS" in the file devcon.txt. I do not find this topic.

The following recommended steps lead at the result: "The solution is not found."

Here's a link to the diagnostic information.

Thank you for your attention to my problem.

I could not follow the steps to remove the section "PCI BUS" in the file devcon.txt. I do not find this topic.

The following recommended steps lead at the result: "The solution is not found."

Here's a link to the diagnostic information.

Edit v:\config\devcon.txt and remove the following section. Then re-try PCI compaction scenarios as detailed when you highlight PCI compaction->Run compact and hit F1 (help).

ACPI\PNP0A08\2&DABA3FF&3
Name: Device is currently using the following resources:
MEM : 000a0000-000bffff
MEM : c0000000-dfffffff
MEM : f0000000-fedfffff
MEM : fee01000-ffffffff
IO : 0000-0cf7
IO : 0d00-ffff

@jacobsson

...However minimal FPS in Crysis 3 went from 15 to 27 or so in the "Welcome to the Jungle".

I was hoping that maybe Win7 unparking would help matching FPS in "Welcome to the Jungle" for Win8.

There is no given reason Win8 should out perform Win7 AFAIK.

Thanks for your info!

I was hoping that maybe Win7 unparking would help matching FPS in "Welcome to the Jungle" for Win8.

There is no given reason Win8 should out perform Win7 AFAIK.

Thanks for your info!

Yes, I agree with you. This should be the test to try.

Edit v:\config\devcon.txt and remove the following section. Then re-try PCI compaction scenarios as detailed when you highlight PCI compaction->Run compact and hit F1 (help).

After removal of the reduced section solution really is . Thank you! But the results yet . All variants of the two laptops and two cards as eGPU working combination has yet been found .

I suspect that the option of HP EliteBook 8470p AMD Radeon HD 7570M + PE4H-EC060A V3.2 + Radeon R9 270 can not fly at all , as only a bunch of possible AMD dGPU + AMD eGPU. Driver for mobile card card driver kills eGPU and vice versa. Featured previously leshcatlabs.net . drivers designed for ligament Intel + AMD and AMD + AMD I normally do not get up .

I've already done DSDT override the main laptop HP EliteBook 8470p and PCI compaction-> Run compact. But drivers are not normally two cards AMD has not risen.

I hope to score a bunch (after DSDT override) HP Probook 4530s + RADEON HD 4870 PE4H ( or Radeon R9 270 ) disabled dGPU, working with iGPU and eGPU? Frankly , this configuration is weak and does not suit me .

I'm starting to think that you have to buy the card Nvidia ( eg GTX650ti, she climbs into my box PE4H-EC060A V3.2) and forget about the AMD cards in eGPU as a nightmare ...

Your system has an expresscard slot and is Gen2 capable. You'll need a PE4L-ECxxxA 2.1b (Gen2) hardware and take it from there. HD6990 is a dual-gpu card that will not work. A NVidia GTX560Ti or GTX660 or newer is recommended over AMD cards for your system since you have an Intel iGPU where NVidia's driver engages x1 pci-e compression and internal LCD mode. For the NVidia card you'll probably need Setup 1.30 to disable the dGPU to get the Optimus functionality.

Sorry, Tech Inferno Fan, NVidia not the best choice for my needs... Is it possible to use Radeon HD 6970 for my configuration? Or other cards from the HD XXXX.

Thank you.

Configuration:

Fujitsu lifeBook NH751

Windows 7 ACPI×64-based PC

I7-2670QM (4×2.20GHz)

Intel Sandy Bridge-MB IMC

Platform: Huron River

Dual DDR3 SDRAM 8 Gb (2×4Gb)

Intel HD Graphics 3000

NviDiA GeForce GT 525M

Sorry, Tech Inferno Fan, NVidia not the best choice for my needs... Is it possible to use Radeon HD 6970 for my configuration? Or other cards from the HD XXXX.

Thank you.

Configuration:

Fujitsu lifeBook NH751

Windows 7 ACPI×64-based PC

I7-2670QM (4×2.20GHz)

Intel Sandy Bridge-MB IMC

Platform: Huron River

Dual DDR3 SDRAM 8 Gb (2×4Gb)

Intel HD Graphics 3000

NviDiA GeForce GT 525M

If you want to have the best graphical performance, then NVIDIA GTX660 or newer is the best choice.

If you want to have the best graphical performance, then NVIDIA GTX660 or newer is the best choice.

Not for games.For calculation.

Rating GPU for WPA (speed estimations):

Link:GPU estimations

GPU-WPA speed

GeForce GTX660 - 18200 с/s

Radeon HD 6970 - 81825 с/s

Differences speed GREAT...

Need for mobility device.

Not for games.For calculation.

Rating GPU for WPA (speed estimations):

Link:GPU estimations

GPU-WPA speed

GeForce GTX660 - 18200 с/s

Radeon HD 6970 - 81825 с/s

Differences speed GREAT...

Need for mobility device.

Ok I see, so you are wondering if HD6970 would work as eGPU: This card seem to be a "twin-GPU", which can be very difficult to fit in the PCI-space.

You should probably look for a HD7970 instead.

Hi everyone, I am new here and not really tech savvy, I have read about eGPU and want to do it also so I can use my laptop to play the newer games,

I have an Acer Timeline 4820tg purchased 2011. CPU is Intel i5 480M 2.67Ghz w/ 2gig RAM, Intel HD Graphics & Radeon HD 6550M. Motherboard model is JM41_CP. Is this laptop usable for eGPU? Can I use the latest graphics cards like gtx 780? I don't have the parts needed yet. I just have a monitor where I plan to connect the laptop to.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Got myself a 290x I've tested it in my dsektop 16x and laptop 1x, and I was getting about

1/4 the performance on my laptop compared to my desktop (20fps at first benchmark in

3dm11 compared to 80fps) with latest 14.1 beta catalyst driver (The mantle driver!).

I've just now refitted it to my desktop to test if its the laptop, and turns it also had really low

performance! Reinstalled the driver several times and played with the bios selection button.

Not sure what did it but it now works as before. So good news it probably isn't the laptop.

Gonna test the latest driver PCI scaling and Mantle BF4 scaling soon.

With older 13.12 it worked on both my laptop and desktop, here's laptop score:

AMD Radeon R9 290X video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3740QM Processor,Hewlett-Packard 17DF

Edit:

Desktop 14.1 16x: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7964607

Desktop 14.1 1x (taped the lanes): Crush at second benchmark, again 1/4 the performance.

Edit2:

removed tape, low performance again.

restarted and it high performance again.

restarted and low performance again - something is wrong here :|

Edit3:

Well I'm not alone:

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=454&threadid=171413

Edit4:

After reinstalling the driver and not restarting yet,

Desktop 1x (91% of 16x result): http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7965010

• Thumbs Up 1

Got myself a 290x I've tested it in my dsektop 16x and laptop 1x, and I was getting about

1/5 the performance on my laptop compared to my desktop (20fps at first benchmark in

3dm11 compared to 80fps) with latest 14.1 beta catalyst driver (The mantle driver!).

I've just now refitted it to my desktop to test if its the laptop, and turns it also had really low

performance! Reinstalled the driver several times and played with the bios selection button.

Not sure what did it but it now works as before. So good news it probably isn't the laptop.

Gonna test the latest driver PCI scaling and Mantle BF4 scaling soon.

With older 13.12 it worked on both my laptop and desktop, here's laptop score:

AMD Radeon R9 290X video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3740QM Processor,Hewlett-Packard 17DF

Looking forward to your R9 290x performance testing. The 3dmark11 result being near the top of the current leaderboard.

A heads up. A i7-3740QM should be seeing a Physics score of over ~8200 in 3dmark11. Your current 7409 result is underperforming. Did you want to test the 'Performance' power setting to see if that improves things?

290X on my desktop with crappy cpu (even compared to my laptop), taped to run at 1x:

1x BF4 mantle, test range, 85% fan:

low - 130-150fps

med - 130fps

high - 110-115fps

high @ 200% scale - 64-71fps

ultra - 110-115fps

ultra @ 200% scale - 45 fps

1x BF4 DX11, test range:

low - 84-122fps

med - 110fps

high - 70-100fps

high @ 200% scale - 43-52fps

ultra - 74-81 fps

ultra @ 200% scale - 31-37fps

16x mantle:

low - 160fps

med - 150fps

high - 135fps

high @ 200% scale - 60fps

ultra - 115-130fps

ultra @ 200% scale - 42 fps

16 dx11:

low - 83fps

med - 76fps

high - 71fps

high @ 200% scale - 58fps

ultra - 70fps

ultra @ 200% scale - 37 fps

When you see x-y it means I've gone over it twice with different results, sometimes in the same run, might be throttling. example 16x ultra, first I started the game I had 130fps, after I changed

and returned to that res it went to 115 (even at 58C).

Its a pain to test this driver version as I have to delete the driver (device manager) and restart

twice for it to work again.

• Thumbs Up 2

This DIY eGPU forum now has the tools (Setup 1.x, DSDT override/substitution) to make over 98% of notebooks be able to host an eGPU. This differs to commercial vendors such Villagetronic, Magma, Sonnet that offer pricier hardware but for whatever reason were not technically capable of developing similar tools to solve eGPU issues (error 12, 43, performance issues).

The candidate list presents systems that have Thunderbolt or expresscard slots for more convenient eGPU implementations. A sprinkling of mPCIe systems are included with links to convenient implementations using that harder to access slot. The technical intricies of setting this up per system mostly depends on how well the factory bios/firmware deals with a detected eGPU on bootup, how it set the TOLUD (pci-e config space start address), whether there is a bios facility to disable any dGPU the system may have and how well the bios configures underlying bridges. Some systems are completely plug-and-play.

We have a list of implementations with per-system configuration details here.

Hello nando,

I checked the list of notebooks there and found an Acer 4830tg. What I have however is an Acer 4820tg. Can I also use this laptop for eGPU? I know I have to use the mPCIe slot underneath. I just want to be sure if I can use this laptop for this purpose since I can't find anyone here on the forums who used this laptop.

Thanks in advance

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.