Red M18x + 6990s lands!

Brian

• Founder

So I can finally do the happy dance, it seems this system works as it should and has no glaring defects (so far). I gotta say after using the black M18x's, I definitely missed the look of the red M18x since IMO it looks a lot nicer. Anyway, Dell is now including a red sleeve with the red M18x which is smart since the old black one would sometimes lose its color and smudge the red. They also startd including a plastic adhesive on the speaker grills so they are protected from scratches during the factory build--finally they do something smart! So here they are, red and black:

post-5-14494991866372_thumb.jpg

post-5-14494991869508_thumb.jpg

post-5-14494991872399_thumb.jpg

post-5-14494991875404_thumb.jpg

post-5-14494991878302_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

• Founder
Nice to hear that it seems to have worked out well - in the end. Red looks very nice, dual 6990m, beast system... do you already

plan to getting an xm?

Thanks and yeah it FINALLY worked out. I'll grab an xm in the future but for now the 2670qm is plenty. I'm going to swap it out and put the 2720qm in it later this week although I really don't wanna open this system just yet (still has the new smell).

@Brian how many Alienware caps do you have so far? LOL

Any dead pixels?

You know me man, that's the very first thing I looked for and fortunately no! Even if there were, I have two other M18x panels as backup :)

• Founder
Grats! I kind of like the black one better though. :)

Well to each their own, I'm a big fan of red for these M18x's :) Black is also nice, its subtle but not my favorite. I guess I got tired of black after my M15x/M17x-R2.

Could someone explain what this ordeal was about? I knew of Brian having to send his in and kept getting black or the wrong GPU or something.. What was everything about?

Story spans over 2 months, I had an XPS 15z that was working perfect (and I had no intention of getting an AW again since I stopped gaming) until one day the screen got a smudge of dead pixels. Called Dell, they dispatched a clueless tech that screwed it up (warped display, poor thermal place placement, scratched up body). Next tech brought replacements and said the keyboard melted and was fused and told Dell that much. Dell wouldn't send me an XPS 17 like I requested so finally I contacted BBB and they agreed to give me a refund.

I went ahead and grabbed an M18x off Dell outlet at that point (had AW cravings again) and it was advertised as red. Instead of the proper red like I thought I was buying, it was black and it had scratches on the front of it + a broken escape key. So I called up for a replacement and the other replacement was also black, had a missing Wireless HD transmitter and had worse scratches. I contacted Bill from Dell who advised me to get in contact with @DellCares which I did. They contacted the replacement team who in turn contacted me and said they'd build me a new one from the factory to my specs. They initially sent me a config that was black with a single 560M which of course I didn't take and then told them what I wanted and they obliged. A week later and here I am, happy..FINALLY :)

Time to go play some BF3..aahhhhhhhhh yeaaaah!

• Thumbs Up 2

Well to each their own, I'm a big fan of red for these M18x's :) Black is also nice, its subtle but not my favorite. I guess I got tired of black after my M15x/M17x-R2.

Story spans over 2 months, I had an XPS 15z that was working perfect (and I had no intention of getting an AW again since I stopped gaming) until one day the screen got a smudge of dead pixels. Called Dell, they dispatched a clueless tech that screwed it up (warped display, poor thermal place placement, scratched up body). Next tech brought replacements and said the keyboard melted and was fused and told Dell that much. Dell wouldn't send me an XPS 17 like I requested so finally I contacted BBB and they agreed to give me a refund.

I went ahead and grabbed an M18x off Dell outlet at that point (had AW cravings again) and it was advertised as red. Instead of the proper red like I thought I was buying, it was black and it had scratches on the front of it + a broken escape key. So I called up for a replacement and the other replacement was also black, had a missing Wireless HD transmitter and had worse scratches. I contacted Bill from Dell who advised me to get in contact with @DellCares which I did. They contacted the replacement team who in turn contacted me and said they'd build me a new one from the factory to my specs. They initially sent me a config that was black with a single 560M which of course I didn't take and then told them what I wanted and they obliged. A week later and here I am, happy..FINALLY :)

Time to go play some BF3..aahhhhhhhhh yeaaaah!

Brian I am glad you have one too your satisfaction finally. I can relate to your whole ordeal and its about time they send something not doomed from the start. I like the red to and yes the red sleeve is a nice touch. I also received my M18x from a month or two ago with the plastic you mentioned. Nice pics btw now go frag some bastards on BF3!

Real nice man! Congratz!

Awaiting my WiHD !! :)

Nice Michael I ended up buying the Vizio WiHD kit in addition to the internal transmitter option.... i got it at Amazon though so it would be cheaper... they were charging full price at dell at the time. I am loving it... sometimes i throw a movie up on the home theater with the Vizio and its so nice doing it wirelessly even my surround sound reads through to the receiver over hdmi... i love it. As long as you don't walk completely in front of the thing it keeps a flawless feed of audio and video but through walls depends from one room it works but it seems at a loss of a few fps being dropped... if there is a clear path it can go a good distance.