EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
kkzhe

Clevo P150EM + GTX 980M

Hi All!

I'm pretty new to this forum, but I've been very interested in possibly buying a GTX 980M for my P150EM. I recently got this P150EM from a trade on craigslist and couldn't be happier (especially since I learned that I could upgrade the GPU). I'll just start off by asking the questions that I definitely want the answers to.

1. I've looked on eBay and it's become painfully obvious that the GTX 980M is worth a pretty penny. I've got a GTX 680M in my laptop right now, so would I have a good chance of selling my GTX 680M on eBay or some other site where someone would buy it? (Unless someone here is interested in buying it :joyous:
  2. The 980M's that I've seen for sale on eBay don't all come with the heatsinks, but just include the 980M itself. Would I need to find one that includes the heatsinks as well or would I be fine with using the same heatsinks I'm using right now for my 680M?

If you guys have any other tips on what to look out for and how to get it working flawlessly it would be much appreciated!

Yes you should be able to sell the 680m for somewhere in the $300s. You have the 4GB so your 680m will sell for a bit more.

Your 680m heatsink will work, but the newer heatsinks are superior. Your 680m heatsink should be good enough though. You will be missing a thermal pad, but if you split one of the pads between 2 of the inductors it should be fine.

Thanks for the insight. I'm hoping to be able to sell my 680M for around that price so hopefully there is a pretty good market for this card. I'll probably just go ahead and purchase a thermal pad to put onto the 980M. I'm pretty new to customizing the internals of a computer, especially a laptop, so will I need to buy a thermal pad AND thermal paste to apply?

I bought mine from CEG Germany and got the new heatsink (1 piece instead of 2) AND copper backplate. The GTX680m doesn't have this plate. It goes on the back of the card and covers the rear of the memory. I would look into this if you're prepared to spend this kind of money you might aswell get the full kit and sell the old heatsink parts along with the gtx680m. NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980M 8GB GDDR5 MXM 3.0B CLEVO (copper backplate option for gpu1).

If you're from the US then you can purchase from rj-tech. You get the new heatsink and backplate with the GPU for $720, which is cheaper than most ebay listings.

Yeah, I was actually looking through rj-tech and thought they'd be the cheapest option. I was a bit confused because the P150EM wasn't listed under the models so I wasn't exactly sure whether or not it would be compatible. So this GPU from rj-tech would be the one to get for my laptop, correct? Apologies in advanced, I'm still new to all of this upgrading stuff!

Yeah, I was actually looking through rj-tech and thought they'd be the cheapest option. I was a bit confused because the P150EM wasn't listed under the models so I wasn't exactly sure whether or not it would be compatible. So this GPU from rj-tech would be the one to get for my laptop, correct? Apologies in advanced, I'm still new to all of this upgrading stuff!

Yes. Select the P150SM-A, P170SM-A, P157SM-A, or P177SM-A version and it will work.

I bought a gtx 680m 2gb for $280 AUD a couple days ago so you should be able to get $240+ usd for the 4gb version easily.

Also Prema has teamed up with a few resellers to make a custom vbios and/or bios for p150em on his site there is v2 but resellers have a v3 for gtx 980s so double check that rj-tech is in on that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was actually looking online on eBay for cards similar to mine, but the ones that are going for around $400 dollars all have 2gb, whereas the 4gb version on rj-tech is going for upwards of $900. Is that just rj-tech blowing up the prices out of proportion or am I missing something here?

I've notice high prices on older X80 series GPUs on rj-tech personally compared to the 980 at around ~$750 but TBH i don't even see many people on eBay selling cards, so who knows, might take you a few tries to sell it at the price you're happy with. $300ish doesn't seem too unreasonable. Only problem is just how many people out there want a 680...

People quote all these vendors when in the market place here, I've had the videocard up for sale for almost a year for less. Those who found it got it for cheaper.