Dell customer service for studio xps systems severely lacking

Brian

• Founder

So as many of you know, I returned my Alienware M18x a few months back since I needed a smaller computer for day to day use. I ended up purchasing an XPS 15z from Dell which worked great for the first month right up to the point where a ball of dead pixels started. I contacted Dell who then asked me for photos of said dead pixels and after providing them, they dispatched a tech with a new display. The trouble began when the tech showed up and had no idea what he was doing so he damaged the trim on the palm rest and warped the new display so it wouldn't sit flush with the system. On top of that, my USB ports started acting up and would only work half the time.

I called Dell to let them know what happened and asked that they send a different tech out this time. I had to wait over a week since the LCD was not available and eventually the tech arrived with a new mainboard, palm rest and display (basically a new computer). This guy was pretty good at what he does and once he got done disassembling the system, he saw that he couldn't remove the keyboard because it had MELTED into the metal hinge due to excessive heat produced by the system. He didn't want to try to pry it out since it would break the keyboard and he didn't have a spare. He called up Dell to let them know the system was not serviceable and advised they build me a brand new one.

That's when the trouble started--Dell refuses to build a new one from the factory and insists I take one of their refurbs which will inevitably have the same issues as this system. I asked they give me a Studio XPS 17 instead and they claimed their internal inventory has none even though their public outlet has dozens of systems for sale. Apparently their public outlet and their internal system are completely different and they can't pull inventory from the outlet. It's been 3-4 days now since I last spoke to Dell and I was supposed to either get my money back or an XPS 17 system, so far nothing.

With customer service like this, it doesn't surprise me that people refuse to purchase Dell systems after their first bad experience. I know how to navigate around their horrible service since I'm used to it after being an Alienware customer but with my busy schedule, even my patience has worn thin and I'm thinking of jumping to another manufacturer if I get a refund. The problem is that most other manufacturers are just as bad as Dell with their crappy outsourced CSRs, so what do we do??

No wonder Apple overprices their systems, at least you get a reliable well-built system and can stroll down to the closest Apple store for servicing. Looks like my next purchase may just be an Apple.

Edited by Brian

U agree Stamatis if you get n M18x R1 you can throw this ultra budget chip in and now that theres been a lot of tinkering they are nearly the same chip. NEW Intel i7-2920XM ES 2.4GHz not 2.5GHz not 2820 2720 | eBay $290 for 2920es

Or wait till M18x R2 Ivy bridge and get an I'vy bridge cpu or throw a 2920xm or 2960xm in and Ivy Bridge will increase performance just from that by 10%. Or get an XM Ivy Bridge. They owe you for a laptop melting and you should give them bad press... a laptop melting is ridiculous. Fight the fight Brian it was horrible on my exchange but worth it.

These companies are bullies. Throttle Stop's concept is being used by Intel. Dell and others severely throttle their cpus on battery instead of finding solutions... its ridiculous.

This really sucks... so annoying. I had good and bad experiences with the Dell customer service, a lot depends on the rep...

The question is, whether other companies are really better... I've never heard of anything like the Dell NBD service for non-business customers.

Well, I can relate to that XPS support, but I didn't have much luck with AW support either. My old XPS M1330 still probably works warmer than your 5 GHz overclocked 920xm. :D In fact afaik, the actual author of the famous 'GPU copper mod' for the XPS M1330 had his wifi card melting the cables going around it. I can easily belive that... it can burn like crazy when you do some serious downloading. And thats not to mention their fantasic nVidia GPU with 80 C standby temp (underclocked). I see things have changed much since. :)

I heard Dell Business support is good and their Latitude laptops are really good too, except for non-gaming GPUs.

not only that... we need someone with a MBP around here cause that section is empty... :P

Tru dat. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

This kind of talk worries me, especially as the 4 year warranty with accidental damage cover is one of the reasons I went with alienware in the first place. Oh well, at least I'm patient and this is basically a super-cool toy to me (with the desktop) so I can afford to wait and demand proper resolution.

Well, I can relate to that XPS support, but I didn't have much luck with AW support either. My old XPS M1330 still probably works warmer than your 5 GHz overclocked 920xm. :D In fact afaik, the actual author of the famous 'GPU copper mod' for the XPS M1330 had his wifi card melting the cables going around it. I can easily belive that... it can burn like crazy when you do some serious downloading. And thats not to mention their fantasic nVidia GPU with 80 C standby temp (underclocked). I see things have changed much since. :)

I heard Dell Business support is good and their Latitude laptops are really good too, except for non-gaming GPUs.

Tru dat. :D

Yes it seems nothing has changed at all... same old probs. Wow maybe wifi cards need heatsinks lol

• Thumbs Up 1

Thats (the Thinkpad W520 + 2920xm) a complete joke. I read about it on Lenovo forums, where even some users were defending the Lenovo in this case (I mean seriously... how freaking dumb can someone be?). Thinkpad W520 (the only survivor of the W-series) is supposed to be competing (I guess) with Dell Precision 15-17" workstation laptops, basically $3000 ball park with extreme CPU. For that money you get Thinkpad W520 locked to 2.5 GHz... but hey you can be happy when you run CPU-Z -- it says 2920xm. (@ 2.5 GHz :D but I guess had I bought it, it wouldnt be funny at all)

I mean W520 obviously can't handle the new hardware like Intel's high-end extreme CPUs. If you look at the bottom panel it has a one cooler with an exhaust area 1/5 of what M17x-R2 has. Its not even comparable. From what I remember their previous 17" W701 had better cooling but it seems it has been discontinued. Also, it seems to have other issues as noted on NBR [see: Laptop Forums and Notebook Computer Discussion - View Poll Results and Please vote: Do you have any issues with your W520? ].

As for the WiFi, it does seem to warm up a bit. Even the one I have on X200t (3x3 antenna, connects @ 300 MBps on my home WiFi) warms up a bit even if you do like 1080p video streaming. Its also "conveniently" located right underneath where the touchpad is typically (I just have Trackpoint). But never got burning hot like the one on XPS (literally its too hot to touch).

Edited by unreal25
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Update: Its Sept 29th and Dell still hadn't resolved the issue. Finally I got fed up and filed a complaint with BBB (attorney general was my next stop) for Dell failing to fulfill its warranty obligations. Within an hour of filing the complaint, Dell contacted me by phone and asked if I wanted a brand new xps 15z or a refund. I opted for a refund and they are now going to send me a box + label to return this piece of junk back to them. This is likely the last time I buy a Dell, I've been given the run around by their crappy customer service one too many times. I've been endorsing them for years with their Alienware and consumer brand laptops but not anymore. My next purchase will likely be a self built desktop + cheap notebook (maybe Lenovo Thinkpad or used MBP).

• Thumbs Up 3

Eh sorry about the experience! :( I just wish they had an option to pay some money, like $500 or so and then get a real support/service (I'd gladly take it). I feel for you, as I had to waste too much of my money/time dealing with their people.

As for other laptops, I like Thinkpads because you can pretty much service them yourself (its very easy to get cheap replacement parts off eBay) for most of their standard models. MBP is pretty good, but tad too expensive for me. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Brian I am so sorry to hear that they really screwed you this time... between most members here we could write a book on Dell's horrible service... during my many month escapade with them I visited the BBM to just to see what I was dealing with and found they have thousands of cases against them and new ones turn up everyday... they seem to have a theory of ignore all probs and unless the prob is right in their face they continue to ignore it as long as they can. Brian in that case how bout 3960X could peak at 180watts as its been said and has 15mb of cache its a beast when it comes out and has six cores.

• Thumbs Up 1