Stuck with purchase problem between M14x or M17xR3

Staff Sargent

OK not sure what to do now, I was in an accident while on greyhound which we hit the back end of a logging truck. Greyhound is willing to settle for much less then the case is worth, the trucking company whom is responsible had insurance but FL put that company out of business so collecting on the claim will be very hard and time consuming.

So my issue is I seriously wanted the M17 for its size and hardware features for gaming but also for the possible tech work I could use it for. I also like the M14 but would be limited in the long run with possible upgrades. I also wanted to avoid the optimus as I have read it can be tricky and I thought with the M17x and AMD I could avoid that. So do I bite the bullet and get the M14 and save up and get the M17 later or get a low spec M17x and upgrade it over time. My possible budget is $2000

the M17 config price would be 2198 while the M14x would be 1848 (with lots of extras). I could drop a few options off the M17 like drop the video from the 6990 to the 6870 which brings it to something I could afford more.

So please tell me if optimus isn't as bad as I might think, if I should get the M17x for future upgrades or just get what I can afford so I still have the alienware that will still do the software things I want but will be limited in the long run.

M14x
Processor Intel® Core™ i7 2760QM 2.4GHz (3.5GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache)
Memory 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz
A/C Adapter Alienware M14X 150W A/C Adapter
Display Panel 14.0" High Def+ (900p/1600x900) with WLED backlight
Video Card 1.5GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus™ technology
Hard Drive 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s
Nameplate Personalized Plate ()
AlienFX Mars Red
Hinge Up Hinge Up WLAN -BLACK
Adobe Reader Acrobat SW Adobe Acrobat X Reader
Optical Drive 8x SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Slot Load Optical Drive
Audio Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio
Wireless Intel® Advanced-N WiFi Link 6250 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO Technology with WiMax
Hardware Support Services 1 Year Advanced Plan
Pre-Installed Software Steam and Portal™ Factory Installed
OS Customization Alienhead Chrome Blue
WirelessHD & Mobile Broadband None
Bluetooth Internal Bluetooth 3.0

plus black ops game, back pack, a gaming mouse and new router. only thing from dell would be the back pack.

M17x r3
System Color Alienware M17x, Soft Touch Stealth Black
Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit
Processor Intel® Core™ i7 2760QM 2.4GHz (3.5GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache)
Memory 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (2DIMMS)
A/C Adapter Alienware M17x 240W A/C Adapter
Display Panel 17.3-inch WideFHD 1920 x 1080 60Hz WLED
Video Card 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6990M
Hard Drive 320GB 7,200RPM HDD
Nameplate Personalized Plate ()
AlienFX Mars Red
Adobe Reader Acrobat SW Adobe Acrobat Reader
Optical Drives Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
Sound Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio
Wireless Intel® Advanced N + WiMAX 6250 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO Technology
Service 1 Year Advanced Plan

• Founder

If you can drop the CPU and get the 2630M instead it will lower the price of the R3 by $150 and have a total of $1999 before taxes. I would keep the 6990M and for a few extra bucks you will have a much stronger system. Plus if you call them and place the order through the phone you might get at least free shipping if not a discount.

I should have added I live in sales tax free NH, so those prices are what I would pay and they are offering free shiiping already if I read it right.

As for the cpu is there much difference? If I won't notice a diff in other apps then I will lower it for sure. Even thought about the wireless card since I should be we to replace it later

• Founder

The 2630M is sufficient for everyday tasks and gaming. Unless you do lots of video encoding or heavy usage of Photoshop and staff you won't have any problem, plus down the road it is pretty easy to upgrade (not that easy for the GPU though so that's why you should stick with the best option you can afford now)

That config right now (since you have no taxes and shipping) is $1 dollar less than your limit :)

I use photoshop, video ripping for when dvds don't have digital copies, ah bryce and other app for creating space scapes. Granted I game but also lile the power for my artwork. I do more now that I don't work. All my past computers I pushed to their limits for image renders etc. Not a benchmark person at all either. Basically I will use this like a desktop but one I can take with me when I spend time in the hopital which will be more often soon. I might even get into video animation

So will drop the cpu down and hope and pray my lawyer can get a few extra bucks for me lol, can't wait to see my landlords face when I pay 6 months in adv. Thought of only doing 5 and using that money but at least with good advice I can still get what I want and upgrade later

Paying in advance, that way we can save up and pay another few months in advance and still have a little saved up. My kidney issue killed any savings we had and even sold my last laptop. This new alienware ie being paid for from the accident when the wife and I moved back to nh. Her settlement is buying a new car greyhound ie juet not being very nice to me but very nice to her.

r3 with 6990 is the way to go, $2000 is a good budget. the one in my sig cost me $2400 with tax and everything. minus the ram and ssd, those i got the stock option. call in a haggle with them i'm sure you can get a pretty good setup, also if you can get dell dpa, it will be no interest for 12 months.

Edited by iloveb00bs

Keeping the 6990 for sure! Might drop the screen down not sure though. There are places I can lower the price if needed. Just wish I knew law cause am learning now I am getting screwed by my own lawyer cause he won't push the case like he should

Well dropped the cpu down and dropped the adv. Warrenty which puts me at 1999 with free shipping so it meets my current budget. Maybe I will get lucky and have a few extra $$$ and can add some extras back on but at least I still get the rig I want and know I can upgrade almost anything down the line to match the super high end gpu. Even had a great talk with my brother in law and if the wife and I stay though this winter I would be able to throw another 300-500 at it just need to keep the wife and her sister from killing each other lmao well will post back when I find out my order date, just wish it would have been yesterday

Staff Sargeant - I've gone through a nasty accident myself so I know what it's like, though I managed to avoid the lawyering afterward.

In any case, I have 4gb of DDR3 1333mhz corsair RAM unopened which I no longer need, would be more than happy to send it to you for cost of postage (probs around $10-15). I'd rather give it to you than than get the $20 I could sell it for.

Rest of the specs, what everybody said - drop down to the cheapest CPU and basically everything else, I wouldn't drop the 1080 screen though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Jimbo, sell it these days every dollar counts. I can live with 4gb for a few months and get more later. Very nice offer though.

Only reason we got a lawyer was because we were on a greyhound that hit the back end of a logging truck. Wife and I were on it moving from florida to new hampshire so I could get better medical for my kidney which down in fl was a nightmare. I got us permanent income we can live on, family is helpin with a place to live for the winter instead of moving into our own place, I finally got medical coverage and with any luck will have a nice alienware to help me earn a little more and give me some gaming fun.

You want to do something cross your fingers or pray which ever you like lol, that the doctors here can fix what florida messed up in me. That way the wifey can stop the worries and only see me up at 3am cause of gaming not my health.

Again many thanks for the offer really cool to know theres still great people in this world.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well good news heard from the lawyer todsy, found out greyhound by law owes me and the wife more then they offer and they have to pay (very basic break down) but it means the next offer has to be higher which in turn a few more upgrades and more after purchase upgrades like an SSD later. Either way it means I get my machine I want for sure just might be a little longer wait.

Good news mate, I hope you get everything you're after.

Well would love to get myself an M17 and the wife the M14 but don't want to be greedy so the M17 and another system around 500-600 would be great for the wife as she doesn't game. Since the accident all I have wanted was enough money to get my an alienware and that's whats going to happen its just a matter of when now, if the letter I read that was sent to greyhound get attention next week I think another offer should be on the table by the 16th or so. 80% sure the wife and I will take those offers just to end this and we really don't want to push it as far as our lawyer says we can which just means more months of the do we take this offer or refuse and wait for another run around plus the stess of making these choices. I also think my wife want to stop hearing about the alienware as I have put about 7 months of research into this machine LMAO.

Edited by Staff Sargent

*Staff Sargent tells his wife he is thinking about different options on his alienware, and is never heard from again.*

I know how you feel, not married but my friends are definitely sick of hearing about it (and all my other computer stuff).

From some of the gaming I've been doing the intel GMA 3000 is surprisingly capable, if she's not really a gamer it'll be more than enough without a dedicated GPU. It will smoothly play Fallout NV/MW2 type games on med/high settings at 1080P.

Not really sure what I will be getting her yet, I know it will be a core i cpu and between 14-17 screen. She wants cheap since its het first laptop and she doesn't want to have some $$$$$ machine and break it and get me mad. I think she will baby it since it will be hers no matter the cost. Its hard to pick out in a price point thats got so many choices.

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting on gteyhound, not sure if the waiting is driving me nuts or being stuck using a tablet is driving me nuts. I do know I have a few art projects I want to work on and a few android apps I want to create and no computer really sucks lol. I hope all is said and done by christmas at least. I read the laws about my case and even though greyhound has no real choice and has to settle with us they in turn get their money back when logging company stuff gets settled so they have no reason to drag this out more.

Well just rambling cause I be bored and can't find any new alienware vids to watch. Can't wait to join the ranks and really start talking about the machines and using it, moding it (yes I have mod ideas already thanks to iloveboobs) and maybe some benching and of course tweakin it.

Hope my ne t post here is my order date

• Thumbs Up 1

Still waiting on gteyhound, not sure if the waiting is driving me nuts or being stuck using a tablet is driving me nuts. I do know I have a few art projects I want to work on and a few android apps I want to create and no computer really sucks lol. I hope all is said and done by christmas at least. I read the laws about my case and even though greyhound has no real choice and has to settle with us they in turn get their money back when logging company stuff gets settled so they have no reason to drag this out more.

Well just rambling cause I be bored and can't find any new alienware vids to watch. Can't wait to join the ranks and really start talking about the machines and using it, moding it (yes I have mod ideas already thanks to iloveboobs) and maybe some benching and of course tweakin it.

Hope my ne t post here is my order date

Thats really cool good for you Sargent. Looking forward to hearing about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok wife and I know the $$$ amount finally and have both settled on getting aliens. The wife is getting the m14 and I am going after the m17x r3. The specs as follows:

M14x

i5 cpu

6250 wireless

500GB 7200 HDD

4GB ram

1.5 gt 555

720p screen (more then enough for her)

Wireless HD PACKAGE

Adv warrenty

Backpack

Total online 1496.98

M17xr3

i7 2670qm

2GB amd 6990

500gb hybrid HD

1080p screen

6250 wireless

Adv warrenty

Backpack

wireless HD transmitter only

Online price 2396.99

Should I call this order in and try for discouts? Any hardware not worth it? Any coupon codes out there? Not sure where to find codes. This order will be placed in the next 30 days as we got our release papers today and will have the checks within 30 days or less. How fast things have been moving in the past fews days it should be quick. Thanks for any and all advice.

We are so excited!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1