SSD for Alienware m14x R1

Solraknauj

I've been using a Samsung 840 Evo 1T drive for the last year and change in my M14xR1. I only just recently discovered that I'm not getting the full SATA 3 speeds (in my haste to replace the drive I didn't do much research beyond "will it work"), but so far it's been a much better solution than the HDD that it came with. I would certainly recommend it, and I'd imagine the 850 Pro would work just as well as my 840.

Incidentally, the original HDD failed after about 2 months when I purchased the laptop in 2012, and the replacement HDD looked ready to die before I moved overseas last year. Not sure if the original HDD drives Dell chooses are just poor quality or if I just manage to abuse more computer more than anticipated (probably the latter).

• 1 month later...

I have the Samsung 840 Pro 512GB installed for almost 2 years I guess. It was really great and playing LoL was just fine until few months back, it all got ULTRA laggy for whatever problem.

I have also noticed that there was a warning about the SSD being not fully utilized as it is on SATA II connection. Hence trying to download the 'modded' BIOS A08 update to hopefully get the SATA III speed for it.

Even playing CS GO is ultra laggy it's very dissapointing!!!

• 1 month later...

Just installed the SanDisk Ultra II 960GB SSD on my m14x r1 and it is working well and I have had zero issues. I decided to go with a fresh install of Windows 10. I wish Dell would have updated the A08 Bios so that we don't have to use a hacked version to get the 6 G/s though. 

Edited by mrvoiceman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just installed a new WD Blue 250gb SSD as it desperately in need for a speed boost, i dont use it for gaming anymore but still want to have great system response.

It is still running at 3gb/s i assume that is SATA II speed, anyone tried the mooded sata fix bios yet?

• 2 months later...

I recently dropped in a SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb SSD in place of my old 7200rpm hard drive...God what have I been missing?! Speed is incredible. Still running on SATA II unfortunately (A08 BIOS) , but I’m looking to flash to the unlocked version soon in order to get SATA III capability.