[SCRIPT] Automating the installation of eGPU on OS X (inc display output)

euqlaog

Hello there,

I recently ran your script on my 27" October 2015 iMac with an Akito 2 box and a GTX 960 eGPU setup. My external monitors are displaying and the CUDA cores are functioning but now the internal iMac screen is malfunctioning. By default, the mac boots with a extremely narrow image leaving plenty of unused black space to the left and right. The image reminds me of airplay mirroring an iPhone while holding it vertically. In the display preferences, I can not access the scaled resolutions. I am holding down the alt key prior to pressing scaled but nothing. When I do force a retina resolution via SwitchResX, everything displays super blurry. Lastly, the graphics pane in the system report menu states that my internal AMD GPU is listed as PCIe, not built-in. I have also tried reseting the PRAM and SMC but no luck. The only way I got the display to cooperate was to do a time machine restore but then I lost my eGPU capability.This script was the only way I could get the GPU to talk to the mac but now I am compromising with degraded resolutions. Does anybody have a solution to this issue?

On June 16, 2016 at 9:02 AM, aakashraj said:

@goalque Even though it recognizes that the eGPU is plugged in in the system report, the computer doesn't seem to use it, and it ignores it in the "About this mac" page.

Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 11.59.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 3.42.14 AM.png

I'm stuck at the same spot and can't seem to find the solution. Did you get it to work? Not working with external cinema displayCinema Display

43 minutes ago, goalque said:

my iMac is connected to the eGPU and eGPU connected to my external display. But my external display still using 780m and won't run any programs off of the egpu

edit: just rereading, do you mean connect directly to the card using HDMI to thunderbolt, and not connecting to akitio? Currently the iMac and external is connected to the akitio through thunderbolt

Edited by Lossy

57 minutes ago, Lossy said:

just rereading, do you mean connect directly to the card using HDMI to thunderbolt, and not connecting to akitio? Currently the iMac and external is connected to the akitio through thunderbolt

Cinema display has only mDP port. You have to use the display interface of the external GPU (such as HDMI, DP, DVI).

And then,

Go to System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement
Drag the white bar at the top of the blue box.

Edited by goalque

1 hour ago, goalque said:

Cinema display has only mDP port. You have to use the display interface of the external GPU (such as HDMI, DP, DVI).

And then,

Go to System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement
Drag the white bar at the top of the blue box.

Sorry for not being clear but I have the thunderbolt Cinema Display. Also unless I have the attached thunderbolt cable from the thunderbolt display to akitio, it will stay black no power. Connecting directly to eGPU HDMI doesn't seem to do anything..

I'm guessing hdmi to thunderbolt doesn't work..? In Windows, nvidia gpu activity shows both GPU, but the 980ti shows inactive and can't get anything to run on it..

Hopefully this is a simply question with a simple answer.

Ive looked around on the forums regarding my issue but not finding an answer. Basically, I ran the install script successfully, I noticed that when the script was running in Terminal that it even detected the eGPU but after the script ran successfully and I restarted my computer there is no detection of the eGPU in Nvidia driver manager or in the system report. Sooooo what could I be missing? It seems that all hardware is up and running, all fans spinning.

Full computer specs here:

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)

Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 MB

eGPU hardware on hand here:

Apple Thunderbolt Cable 2.0m

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Ti 6GB GDDR5

be quiet! DARK POWER PRO 11 750W PSU w/ bridge

Akitio Thunderbolt2 PCIe Expansion Box

Powered Riser Cable 16X PCI-E

Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 1.46.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 1.46.29 PM.png

Edited by burrlin

On 18 April 2016 at 9:40 PM, juniordiscart said:

Hi @goalque

I know you are probably really busy, but I'm eagerly awaiting the updated version of your script / app you hinted at a few pages back. How is that project coming along? Is there a way to follow progress on it? Or will it be a bit more closed-source as to avoid scams such as the Bizon box?

Anyway, still a big thanks for your contributions to this community and the great script! Running it myself right now on a Macbook Pro Mid 2014 with 750m + GTX960 on OS X 10.010.4.

I’ve been working on a completely new application - eGPU boot manager for Mac computers. Installation script is not required as with rEFInd which invokes bless for the changing of the default boot partition. Settings can be done within the app. For more information, see

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/10057-automate-egpu-efi-mac-bootscreen-on-egpu/

You can download the demo version here:

https://github.com/goalque/automate-eGPU/releases/download/v0.0.1-demo/bootx64.efi

@burrlin

Don't use a riser and try OS X reinstallation. Please post hardware problems on this thread:

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/6224-diy-egpu-macbook-experiences/

Edited by goalque

7 hours ago, goalque said:

thank you so much for all your help! im going to try getting a different monitor and hopefully its all good..

6 hours ago, burrlin said:

aside from goalque's suggestion, make sure youre under the web driver, and go through the whole boot process. Whenever I go through similar issues, I reinstall the drivers and detects fine again.

@goalque First, thank you so much for supporting the community like this. My setup is arriving this wednesday and I want to make sure that this script will work for my particular setup: GTX 1070 with a powered pcie riser to Akito thunder 2 running off a 430 watt psu. Computer: MBP late 2014 OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.4 (15E65). My main question is will the new pascal architecture of the GTX 1070 work with the nvidia drivers (downloaded by the script) and will it work on this version of OSX. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Austin

I have:

* MacBook Pro Retina 2013 model (not sure if early or late)

* dGPU NVidia 650M

* EVGA GeForce GTX 970

* AkitiO Thunder 2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GUKRX6S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (PCIE Riser with Power)

* El Capitan latest version

* 500w Power Supply (using the paperclip hack)

After running your script I am able to see monitor output from the eGPU.  Blender can see it in the options menu gpu list as well.  So far so good?

Well, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be affecting the render speed at all in Blender.

Another cause for concern is: https://github.com/jrprice/NBody-Metal *nothing* renders when tabbing to the GTX 970. The eGPU is detected, shows up as an option, but when tabbed in to this particular option, it renders just a black window, no particles like the 650M or Intel chip.

So it seems the eGPU is detected, available, but is not actually outputting anything. Has anyone else encountered this?

I see someone else say not to use a riser cable... Is this the issue?  I'd have to bend my akito thunder case to plug in directly, should I do that?

Edited by M2tM

On 21 June 2016 at 9:42 PM, M2tM said:

I see someone else say not to use a riser cable... Is this the issue?  I'd have to bend my akito thunder case to plug in directly, should I do that?

The cause for instability is often a cheap powered riser without capacitors. You should avoid the ones with a chunk of glue on it, check the AWG, and test with a multimeter whether it’s back powered or not. You’ve chosen a wrong riser. Much easier to make a barrel adapter than to find the weak spot of your riser.

The focus of my work has shifted to EFI side, so I don’t have time to answer questions.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi goalque!

Thank you for all your hard work! I finally have the ability to use my Octane render software with my iMac!

:D

However, I am coming across a strange issue with my iMac. It seems that everything was working great after the final restart in the setup steps. Octane render was working great. It was only after the next restart did OS X stop detecting the 750ti. 

Here are my specs:

Mac: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

eGPU: EVGA GTX 750ti

Enclosure: Akitio Thunder2 with 120w PSU

NVIDIA Web Driver: 346.03.10f02

CUDA Driver: 7.5.30

Here are the steps I took, just so you can see what I have done already:

1. disable csrutil

2. restart

3. run automate-eGPU.sh as stated in the original instructions on this forum.

4. restart

5. booted with narrow screen, detects odd 18" screen on 5k screen.

6. found instructions for 5k fix.

7. uninstalled script.

8. restart.

9. edited line 62 for 5k fix.

10. ran edited script.

11. restarted.

12. 5k display is fine, 750ti detected.

13. installed up to date cuda driver, for Octane would not run.

14. restart.

15. iMac would not post.

16. restart.

16. iMac would not post.

17. restart.

18. unplug egpu.

19. restart.

20. boots fine to OSX.

21. Found fix for kepler cards, and "sudo .automate-eGPU.sh -a"

22. restart.

23. boots fine to OSX. 750ti detected. Octane works great.

24. restart.

25. enable csrutil.

26. restart.

27. boots fine to OSX. No 750ti detected.

28. I am here right now.

Does the card not being detected have to do with me enabling csrutil again? Is it safe to leave it disabled once all is set up for the egpu?

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Hi goalque,

Let me begin by sending a huge thanks for all your efforts.

I've been experimenting with eGPU for the past few days, mostly to run PG-Strom on my Mac, which I finally managed to do. My setup is based on Sonnet Echo Express III-d.

Unfortunatelly, between 3 different cards, 4 Macs, 3 displays and 1 external PSU, I've never been able to get external displays (connected via eGPUs to work).

GPUs: 750 Ti, 960, 980 Ti

Macs: 5K 2014 @ 295X (had do fix line 62 of your script), Mac Mini 2015 @ Iris, rMBP 2013 @ 780M, iMac 2013 @ 680M

The scenario is always similar: I do manage to get the card to work, I can run CUDA programs, it's listed in System Report, but I have yet to see one external display detected by OSX.

I tried DP, HDMI, VGA, 3 different screens, with and without external Thermaltake 650W PSU - nothing. Can you please shed some light on what I might be doing wrong? It's really frustrating seeing as it's mostly a plug and play experience for most folks...

@goalque

I've only applied this to iMac 5K, other three Macs used your original script.

Also, what I've noticed is that while the eGPU is connected (iMac 680M), OSX is extremely non-responsive and kexd seems to be spiking 100% CPU usage. Could this be a clue?

22 minutes ago, tmpkn said:

@goalque

I've only applied this to iMac 5K, other three Macs used your original script.

Also, what I've noticed is that while the eGPU is connected (iMac 680M), OSX is extremely non-responsive and kexd seems to be spiking 100% CPU usage. Could this be a clue?

What’s your OS X version? I would reinstall OS X.

10 minutes ago, goalque said:

What’s your OS X version? I would reinstall OS X.

They're all 10.11.5, 2 of them were fresh installs.

Would it be OK if I asked you something in a PM?

It seems like my issue was related to the DP converter. It's now working fine! :-)

A question: if my configuration is as following:

Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 4.44.29 PM.png

Let's say I start a game, like WoW, in a window and drag it back to my iMac display. Which GPU will it use?

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi All,
Thanks to all for the knowledge here, it's been great reading.

Set up my first eGPU today, a an EVGA Hybrid 980ti connected to a Highpoint TB2 mounted inside a mini ITX case with PSU. Was running 10.10.1 and ran the scripts, GPU showed up as Nvidia Device, then figured out I needed to update OS to have it show as a 980ti. So I am now on 10.10.5.

Ran the script a 2nd time, it downloaded drives (for the 2nd time) even though it doesn't find a mac board ID. Installed drivers, rebooted... and it reboots in a loop. Reboot, grey screen saying press any key, reboot, grey screen etc etc.

What would be the trouble here? I assume my components are okay as the eGPU was detected under 10.10.1, just not as the correct exact card (Octane Bench would not see it).

Do I need to un-install the script? Run again?

Going to the Nvidia panel, it detects other drives again... which ones to use? Ones from script or ones from Nvidia?

I get this message box saying the default OSX graphics driver is being used

iMac mid 2011 
Attached screen grab of Nvidia panel

Is this the thing where I need an external display connected for this to start up correctly? I remember reading that but now can't find the source for that info.

Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 10.52.38 pm.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 10.52.06 pm.png