OFFICIAL: M18x Benchmarking Thread

StamatisX

• Founder
Getting it dialed in i see.

Haha yeah working on it. @svl7 made me a new vbios which handles throttling much better but work still needs to be done. Hopefully by tomorrow he can cook up something even faster for me to use.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Founder

New vbios for Clevo 680M working its magic (don't ask me for it, we're still testing it). Here's a run I did with absolutely no Windows tweaks with everything running in the background, stock voltage and cooling. It should have the highest graphics score so far (with the exception of the BS score posted on some Chinese site that claimed 17k).

post-5-14494993910444_thumb.jpg

Hey guys... sorry I haven't been around much. Things are nuts at work right now. I should be back in action before long.

I had a few minutes to bench using the new NVIDIA drivers and got a new personal high score.

@Brian - looks like things are coming along nicely with the Clevo 680M vBIOS. Awesome work @svl7. :woot:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2920XM Processor,Alienware M18xR1 score: P12925 3DMarks

3dmark11p12925.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder

Very nice @Mr. Fox looks like the M18x-R2 board is working good, 17k should be doable with the overvolted vbios. I think my peak right now is around 15.7k for GPU until I can get better cooling. Although I got my new ram sticks today so I'll give it a go later tonight or tomorrow.

Starting to get the CPU dialing in with the M18x R2 motherboard. It's more difficult to overclock and needs less flex than the M18x R1 motherboard. I was going to opposite direction to begin with. Overall, I am very pleased with the results.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2920XM Processor,Alienware M18xR2 score: P13916 3DMarks

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2920XM Processor,Alienware M18xR2 score: P40890 3DMarks

I am also very happy with the dual RAID0 performance. Even these crappy OCZ Agility 3 drives work pretty decent now... better than they ever have before.

480GB OCZ Agility 3 RAID0 (C:)[H][/HR] 1TB Seagate Momentus XT RAID0 (D:)[H][/HR]

• Founder

Getting closer to 16k GPU in performance mode. Going to test out various extreme settings (e.g. with 8xMSAA) to see if the extra ram in the Clevo board makes a difference in synthetic benchmarks. I suspect at higher resolution + AA in actual games it might add an extra few fps vs a 2 GB dell board.

post-5-144949940307_thumb.jpg

post-5-1449499403132_thumb.jpg

@Brian - Have you tried it with the NVIDIA Control Panel set to "Let the 3D application decide" to see how it fares? I am running my benches like that and it gives a few extra points... YMMV. It also seems less prone to crash the driver near the end of a fantastic run. (Don't you just hate when that happens?)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2920XM Processor,Alienware M18xR2 score: X5420 3DMarks

x5420.th.jpg

• Founder
@Brian - Have you tried it with the NVIDIA Control Panel set to "Let the 3D application decide" to see how it fares? I am running my benches like that and it gives a few extra points... YMMV. It also seems less prone to crash the driver near the end of a fantastic run. (Don't you just hate when that happens?)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2920XM Processor,Alienware M18xR2 score: X5420 3DMarks

x5420.th.jpg

The problem with Clevo SLI is a lot more mysterious. The culprit is either the vbios itself (which @svl7 doesn't think so) vs the Dell vbios or that the Clevo 680M card's extra ram causes more power draw and hence issues with reaching max OC like the Dell cards. The overall difference is just a few fps in these benchmarks but that makes the difference in a close contest. We're going to try to graft the Dell vbios on the Clevo cards and see if it does anything. Next ideal step would be to test Dell vs Clevo on an external display that has higher resolution than 1080p on a modern game with AA and see if the extra ram is worth having or is just meant for marketing.

There was a comparison done by @pau1ow and @Riri-Fifi on NBR some time back but it had flaws due to difference in clocks, drivers, system and neither having a vbios fix. I'd be curious to see how the differences hold up between the cards now that both have better vbios to work from. Interested @Mr. Fox? If so, hop on gtalk and we'll test a few games out.

Edit: Ruled out stock dell vbios, doesn't improve it.

• Founder
@Brian and [MENTION=119]Mr. Fox[/MENTION] Damn! Very nice scores guys! Thats awesome. Just got my M18x so will be doing a swap out and then some testing so i might need some AW guidance from the pros. ;)

Looking forward to your results. Right now mine are maxed out.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Yeah, those results i got at 978mhz are maxed out Due to the cooling capacity of the Clevo. See what happens.. ;)

Edit: Actually, any higher and i get driver crash but the hotter you are at load, the sooner the crash..

You'd need more voltage. If you want to go serious you can let me know.

You'd need more voltage. If you want to go serious you can let me know.

Yep, will want to do that. ;) Ill let you know version details when its all up and running..

@johnksss Damn, nice P score you have there. Very sweet CPU overclock. I will be needing some help to OC my CPU when its in the AW after i sought out the unlocked bios.. :(