OFFICIAL: M17x-R3 Benchmarking Thread

Glad to hear things worked out my experience with a tech today was also great he worked on it and i told him whatever he was unsure on... I did help a bit helping him figure out gpu mounting brackets etc to :)

so i did the repasting with ICD24, since the stockpaste of the new card gave me terrible temps (~60 with stock right after bootup) and now i'm floating around 48 with oc. been doing some benching, and i'm quite happy. i did a 17116 vantage run @855/1205 and the cpu bclk set to 102.5. can't wait to see if i can go up to bclk 105.5 and still do a full run.

what i noticed is, if i push the card to 855/1210 every now and then the bench freezes and fps drop to ~8 but then it goes on (so it doesn't freeze for good). is that the card not being able to handle the speed anymore? (it did run through the whole bench but only gave me 16314).

anyways, happy to have a functional alien again :))

Congrats Deadlybydawn nice job. 855core nithing to cough at. You do a lot of this benching... If you push baseclock too high it effects video card stability since pci express gets overclocked too... You may find a range where it starts to hinder the same gpu overclock. The 102.5 seems fine. I never got past 850core on 6970m so nice job and those temps rock ICD for the world!

Ever think of picking up ES 2920xm... Laptop monkey gives you nice discount as a member here and additionally more discount if purchased directly through pay pal. Maybe not now but its an option for your M17x R3. Would cause your vantage and yhe likes to skyrocket. If you sold your cpu like Brian you may make about as muchbas cost of the ES :) win win (but dont sell if youd prefer a cpu of sorts to still bw covered via warranty)

• Thumbs Up 1

Congrats Deadlybydawn nice job. 855core nithing to cough at. You do a lot of this benching... If you push baseclock too high it effects video card stability since pci express gets overclocked too... You may find a range where it starts to hinder the same gpu overclock. The 102.5 seems fine. I never got past 850core on 6970m so nice job and those temps rock ICD for the world!

Ever think of picking up ES 2920xm... Laptop monkey gives you nice discount as a member here and additionally more discount if purchased directly through pay pal. Maybe not now but its an option for your M17x R3. Would cause your vantage and yhe likes to skyrocket. If you sold your cpu like Brian you may make about as muchbas cost of the ES :) win win (but dont sell if youd prefer a cpu of sorts to still bw covered via warranty)

thx man! yeah i will see if i can push the graphics higher if i leave the bclk lower. but anyways i like the result i got so far :)

yeah temps are pretty cool, and the 855 is acceptable too haha

i did actually think about upgrading, but the price has scared me away. but as soon as i will think about it again, i will come back @ you for your suggestions conc. laptop monkey. sounds very good! :D

[MENTION=305]Staff Sargent[/MENTION] how did you notice that the turbo is not going as high as it's supposed to? if you read the clocking from vantage, it doesn't mean anything. i sometimes get 860mhz for cpu speed in vantage, but still get over 22k in the vantage cpu-bench-result. if you want to really see how fast it's going, use intel extreme tuning utility, or hwinfo. :) good bench btw :)

@all: i still get the issue, that my alien will not boot on battery every few times i start it. i had this on my old m17x-r3, and now on the new one also. if i try to boot from battery (battery charged to the max), the alien power button will light up, alien fx also..then after a few seconds, lights will go out again. the display never gets lighted when this happens! if i plug in the ac power, it will do the exact same thing again, but after the lights go out, it will boot up again (by itself) and the laptop then starts normally. does anyone else get this?

• Thumbs Up 1

Ever think of picking up ES 2920xm... Laptop monkey gives you nice discount as a member here and additionally more discount if purchased directly through pay pal.

For sure ? That would be awesome ! Then I would think about picking up a 2920XM, too :)

For sure ? That would be awesome ! Then I would think about picking up a 2920XM, too :)

its true we have partnersip with Laptop Monkey :)

in my uae of my M18x ive found it doesnt like battery either but a 100watt draw on a overclocked XM, and 200watts un video cards I end up undertstanding there will be some issues... perhaps M17x R3 has a issue on battery too?

Edited by mw86

i've exchanged the battery with the one in the "old" m17x-r3. so far, it has been booting. will keep on checking. what i wonder about is, that in the old one i had the problem as well, with the same battery which works now. well, i'll be keeping an eye on the issue...

Added after 2 minutes:

bwt: i know, those are high-performance systems. but they're also super-overpriced systems, which i think we could at least expect them to boot on battery... the dell supporter even told me on the phone "those are high-performance systems, which should not be run on battery". i was like.."WTF!! talking about a notebook, you're seriously giving me this as an answer?!"

Edited by deadbydawn

Computer companies need to start investing more money in battery advancement instead of CPU or graphics. Its sad that our high end systems can't play games or some times even boot on the current batteries. I would give up a second hard drive and DVD burner to have more battery if it meant I could play BF3 for 2-3 hours unplugged.

• Thumbs Up 1

Much agreed the capability of these batteries to supply quick large bursts of battery usage should be much greater and seems its the total perafe or power draw that these can handle. Gpu aside my M18x thrpttles on battery with anything over stock and under heavy enough loads even stock is to much... Thats without 100watt gpus... Your M17x same thing 100watt gpu and display takes watts etc... Probably pulls atleast 90-150watts on battery... Obviously these cant handle that i hope they work to improve in future like you said SSG

i guess i found the problem with the not booting on battery most of the times. if i set everything as it was in the Intel XTU (bclk etc.) it boots fine. but as i overclock it, it wont anymore. so it's the raised powerconsumption on oc, which will cause the failure on battery-booting.

:) fine for me, as it's not a faulty hardware.

• Thumbs Up 1

i guess i found the problem with the not booting on battery most of the times. if i set everything as it was in the Intel XTU (bclk etc.) it boots fine. but as i overclock it, it wont anymore. so it's the raised powerconsumption on oc, which will cause the failure on battery-booting.

:) fine for me, as it's not a faulty hardware.

do you have M17x R3 unlocked bios in that case? If you go to advanced cpu options where something called Primary Plane is i remember seeing an option in my bios called "boot performance mode" and it was performance and somekind of lower power option maybe if you set that perhaps it would pass off the boot better and allow you to get into windows with overclocked specs just as long as the cpu wasnt overly high... throttle stop can help you set cpu from there if you can get it to boot :)

• Thumbs Up 1

do you have M17x R3 unlocked bios in that case? If you go to advanced cpu options where something called Primary Plane is i remember seeing an option in my bios called "boot performance mode" and it was performance and somekind of lower power option maybe if you set that perhaps it would pass off the boot better and allow you to get into windows with overclocked specs just as long as the cpu wasnt overly high... throttle stop can help you set cpu from there if you can get it to boot :)

nah, i'm using the original a09 bios. as for now, i didn't see why i should use the unlocked one :)

but actually, that's a point where i start to see why i actually SHOULD use it! :D

A08 is regarded as the best because it actually allows you to use SATA III 6GB/S transfer rates; great for compatible SSDs. However A09 reverts both slots to SATA II 3GB/s =/

The modded bios is great for overclocking the CPU (BCLK, adjusting turbo settings, as well as XM options for adjusting PriPlane and Flex), enabling the C7 state, plus possibly other things.

Edited by GeoCake
  • Thumbs Up 1

A08 is regarded as the best because it actually allows you to use SATA III 6GB/S transfer rates; great for compatible SSDs. However A09 reverts both slots to SATA II 3GB/s =/

The modded bios is great for overclocking the CPU (BCLK, adjusting turbo settings, as well as XM options for adjusting PriPlane and Flex), enabling the C7 state, plus possibly other things.

exactly and even better non xm gets a huge boost over stock too.

@deadbydawn check Widezu's post its non xm gold and its based off of m17x R3 to begin with with unlocked bios (even other alienware laptops Sandy Bridge can use same method)

http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-discussion/1166-unlocking-tpl-all-cpus-m17x-r3-2920xm-overclocking-potential.html

No need for XM to still see benefits ;)

Edited by mw86

exactly and even better non xm gets a huge boost over stock too.

@deadbydawn check Widezu's post its non xm gold and its based off of m17x R3 to begin with with unlocked bios (even other alienware laptops Sandy Bridge can use same method)

http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-discussion/1166-unlocking-tpl-all-cpus-m17x-r3-2920xm-overclocking-potential.html

No need for XM to still see benefits ;)

so i flashed the unlocked a08 bios :) tomorrow @work i will read into what all the settings to. what i noticed is, if i go into the advanced tab...then go to extended ICC and in there, if i choose one of the bottom options (like bclk) it will freeze. i then have to press ctrl+alt+del to reboot, otherwise no button has any effect anymore. =/

so i flashed the unlocked a08 bios :) tomorrow @work i will read into what all the settings to. what i noticed is, if i go into the advanced tab...then go to extended ICC and in there, if i choose one of the bottom options (like bclk) it will freeze. i then have to press ctrl+alt+del to reboot, otherwise no button has any effect anymore. =/

go any where in there you want but yes i noticed the same do not enter there and attempt to adjust anything in extended ICC if you can see watchdog timer you can tell that to be enabled and if you raise bsclk too high and system wont boot that option protects you and sets bclk to a safe value again to allow full boot... so yeah i wouldnt enter that menu the others are fine.... yeah i have to hold power button in 4secs as alternative if i enter there...

• Thumbs Up 1

don't really think you have any real gains using an unlocked bios using a non xm cpu.

Just check the thread i linked above to deadbydawn. Widezu and even the person who posted showing encoding speed was much higher and didnt drop anymore so the gains are all in the turbo boost your max turbo can be seen and used at higher loads than compared to one not using unlocked bios and Intel XTU. Its only because the stock amps are raised and max watts and even long watt limit can match short watt limit and not drop after a certain amount of seconds even on non xm. ILB dont you remember you did it on one of yours when you had M17x R3 and you had gains in Wprime? Anyway the results in that thread for the post about rendering 3d animations... results there show it all :) ILB your m18x can do same with your non xm no need for any fancy overclock just follow Widezu and it will use your full turbo boost much longer :)

Just check the thread i linked above to deadbydawn. Widezu and even the person who posted showing encoding speed was much higher and didnt drop anymore so the gains are all in the turbo boost your max turbo can be seen and used at higher loads than compared to one not using unlocked bios and Intel XTU. Its only because the stock amps are raised and max watts and even long watt limit can match short watt limit and not drop after a certain amount of seconds even on non xm. ILB dont you remember you did it on one of yours when you had M17x R3 and you had gains in Wprime? Anyway the results in that thread for the post about rendering 3d animations... results there show it all :) ILB your m18x can do same with your non xm no need for any fancy overclock just follow Widezu and it will use your full turbo boost much longer :)

thx a lot for your help man! i will get to that today.

i will get to it today. atm i'm playing with the m11x-r3. just hit 5k vantage ^^ haha, funny little toy it is.

anyways, i'm psyched to see, if i can get the laptop to boot eventhough it's on oc. was looking at all the settings last night, but almost fell a sleep doing it, so i figured i will just let it sit until today :);)

• Thumbs Up 1

so in wprime 1024 i get 269sec.

am i the only one who sometimes encounters the following prob: i use intel xtu to change the bclk. then when i close it, and try to set the bclk to some other setting (doesn't matter if increase or decrease) i will hit apply, then it's doing something (that ring-thingy is turning) and then, when it's supposedly done, the yellow mark on the "apply" button is still there, and the settings haven't been changed. i can't change them anymore afterwards and will have to restart in order to use the intel xtu successfully again.

yes i know about it, i was one of the very first to see it and test it. i just didn't see enough gains to use it everyday. maybe if i'm encoding something but other then that i don't think it worth it. i stop ocing my M18x cuz it wouldn't boot with oc on battery :(.

man check out this wprime of my old 2720, and this is before xtu, just pure bclk oc.

post-100-14494992741579_thumb.jpg

so in wprime 1024 i get 269sec.

am i the only one who sometimes encounters the following prob: i use intel xtu to change the bclk. then when i close it, and try to set the bclk to some other setting (doesn't matter if increase or decrease) i will hit apply, then it's doing something (that ring-thingy is turning) and then, when it's supposedly done, the yellow mark on the "apply" button is still there, and the settings haven't been changed. i can't change them anymore afterwards and will have to restart in order to use the intel xtu successfully again.

if its giving that much trouble it might not like the baseclock your setting my new mother board gives trouble at 104.4baseclock my last did 106.2 :) the motherboard has a lot of factoring to using baseclock. Try setting baseclock via bios or using xtu and hitting checkbox force restart. Try disabling those watchdog timers i was talking about if you enabled them maybe its detecting small hiccups with baseclock in xtu and not allowing change.

@iloveb00bs i see your point. For those who dont use their system the same will see other benefits. Its not about 8thread speed only where gains are minimal but also 1-2core... This tweak allows turbo to be used for indefinate time at full watts it wont drop watts anymore doing it this way and you will see 1-2 core max speed more often with no ill effects. Raising baseclock is not the simple answer like you mentioned you couldnt boot 107 on battery if a more conservative value is used you should be able to. Honestly using throttle stop as long as baseclock wasnt in outer space you can set a value im gaming on battery no problem use profiles... The system wont boot on battery at 107-105 baseclock for good reason. iLB im not convincing you to use it... want deadbydawn to know benefits. The baseclock and Widezu's method can be combined conservatively and used on battery. Baseclock has always been the more dangerous way in sandybridge. Non xm benefits greatly by widezus trick check more than 8thread and in everyday apps there must be 25% boost.

Its my humble opinion and i mean no disrespect at all ilove boobs ;) my friend :)

Edited by mw86

if its giving that much trouble it might not like the baseclock your setting my new mother board gives trouble at 104.4baseclock my last did 106.2 :) the motherboard has a lot of factoring to using baseclock. Try setting baseclock via bios or using xtu and hitting checkbox force restart. Try disabling those watchdog timers i was talking about if you enabled them maybe its detecting small hiccups with baseclock in xtu and not allowing change.

@iloveb00bs i see your point. For those who dont use their system the same will see other benefits. Its not about 8thread speed only where gains are minimal but also 1-2core... This tweak allows turbo to be used for indefinate time at full watts it wont drop watts anymore doing it this way and you will see 1-2 core max speed more often with no ill effects. Raising baseclock is not the simple answer like you mentioned you couldnt boot 107 on battery if a more conservative value is used you should be able to. Honestly using throttle stop as long as baseclock wasnt in outer space you can set a value im gaming on battery no problem use profiles... The system wont boot on battery at 107-105 baseclock for good reason. iLB im not convincing you to use it... want deadbydawn to know benefits. The baseclock and Widezu's method can be combined conservatively and used on battery. Baseclock has always been the more dangerous way in sandybridge. Non xm benefits greatly by widezus trick check more than 8thread and in everyday apps there must be 25% boost.

Its my humble opinion and i mean no disrespect at all ilove boobs ;) my friend :)

hahaha man i don't know what i'm talking about anymore, i need to stop wake and baking. hahahaha