OFFICIAL: M17x-R3 Benchmarking Thread

11.11a, regular driver, mobility support is included: AMD Catalyst 11.11a 32 and 64-bit download from Guru3D.com

thanks, i will probably downgrade to those drivers over the weekend.

it seems that the WEI ran on the old drivers before i noticed / updated to 12.1. i get 7.6 on the card now. but still, i don't think that those ~600 scorepoints are made up solely because of the difference in coreclocks from 850 to 864.

@iloveb00bs yeah strange stuff ey? well, i guess the not booting of battery was caused by the a09 bios. i went to a08 and i don't seem to have this problem anymore. i got a mail from dell that they are out of parts (oh, reeeeally??) so i didn't get a new mobo yet. but in the mean time i'm not sure if i should even let them change it...

man what is going on with these ati cards. seems to be failing left and right.

i doubt the will gave you a replacement off the bat, but if the repair doesn't fix it then start pushing for it.

sooo, i contacted dell again (the english hotline, as the last time i spoke to an english guy because i was out of the working-time of the german-speaking line). i wrote the guy an email saying that it still doesn't boot on battery sometimes and that i really can't live like that, as it is my main computer for my daily work ( ;) ) ... especially when i'm sitting in the train and some customer calls and i'm not able to boot my laptop, it's really really really difficult to keep up with my job... *caugh*.

so now the guy called me and told me that he spoke with his supervisor and he just wants to check that my adress is right, then i will get contacted and next week they will come to pick up my alien. i will get a replacement-alien as i had lots of problems with it since the day i got it.

nice :)

just took my big bunch of hyper-x out of it and now counting the days until i get contacted / the alien picked up / the new alien delivered ;)

Hi I recently purchaced a M17xr3 with 2730qm with 6990m. I thought something wasn't right from the start as gaming performance was realy bad. I then ran 3dmark Vantage to compare with this thread. My scores are P6827

GPU-5826 CPU-18k. I done all the basic checks. Plugged in to PS set power settings to performance. Checked graphics switching is set to ati GPU. Installed latest drivers(from dell). I know that the Discrete card is running because when i set it to integrated graphics performance drops even more. Games run OK but if i turn on AA on to even 2x it is unplayable.

Is there anything else I can check?

Hi I recently purchaced a M17xr3 with 2730qm with 6990m. I thought something wasn't right from the start as gaming performance was realy bad. I then ran 3dmark Vantage to compare with this thread. My scores are P6827

GPU-5826 CPU-18k. I done all the basic checks. Plugged in to PS set power settings to performance. Checked graphics switching is set to ati GPU. Installed latest drivers(from dell). I know that the Discrete card is running because when i set it to integrated graphics performance drops even more. Games run OK but if i turn on AA on to even 2x it is unplayable.

Is there anything else I can check?

I would suggest you list your full system specs and maybe even the games your trying to play. I am not big into benchin but I have a new 17x also with the same video card and I have no issue with gaming playing on high or ultra settings getting at min 40 FPS or higher and that's fraps telling me the FPS too.

The forms don't have the 2670QM CPU, I was going to add mine but its not there. So I will just say I ran it totally stock, only turned off a few services and got P13756 3DMarks. Then I installed the 8.93 drivers and got P14255 3DMarks again only turned off a few services. Not a big bench person but I thought I would share the numbers since I really didn't do much in the way of prep work to bench and still got what I think are good numbers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Founder
vantage run with my new machine: [ATTACH=CONFIG]3389[/ATTACH]

Added after 3 minutes:

sorry..here a screenshot where you can actually see the score... ;-)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3390[/ATTACH]

That's pretty nice for a single card, nice job!

thx guys! i just can't raise the coreclock of the 6990 higher than 835..with my old one i was able to get it up to 865. i managed 17k once with my old one, using a 2670 cpu, scores were 16000something gpu and 20 something cpu. i got over 22k cpu now, but only 15500something on gpu. if i was somehow able to raise the core clock higher, i'm sure i would be able to hit 18k overall. are the differencs between the 6990 that big, that one can hit ~870 while the other bitches out at 835 cclk?

@ssg: yeah, you will have to overclock! wirh my old machine i was able to hit 17k with the same configuration as yours! so don't worry about the cpu!

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=47.552954,7.620295

• Founder

If both cards are stock (voltage and thermal paste, clean vents, etc) then ambient temperatures can make a difference. Some cards may overclock higher than others (given the exact same conditions) but I doubt the difference would be bigger than 20-25MHz.

Repasting the GPU with some good thermal paste will give you some extra headroom for overclock.