Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

Hello guys.

As I've promised I am revealing the way to make 980m work in Alienware.

I really can't believe that we all didn't do this. Peter and I should be punished for this :(

"HARU" the man whom should be given the credits used only win8.1 with UEFI enabled. And he just bought the card and PnP.

I was WTF? I asked him to send me the POSTing movie of his alienware. And I was shocked at the moment I saw his movie because I never tried win8.1 UEFI.

So this is very simple.

Follow this instruction.

1. put old GPU and go to bios -> Boot -> UEFI, legacy disabled (secure mode is not needed)

2. Turn off alienware

3. Put 980m

4. Turn the power on.

5. Ta da...POST.

6. install win 8.1 (since there is no way to install win7 in UEFI with legacy disabled, right? if I am wrong please let me know. I hate win 8)

7. install all the drivers including nvidia with mod inf. (some friend of us in TI will do it for you hopefully)

8. Enjoy

postscript #1. Not tested in real game. I had no time. I am very very tired now. It's 3AM, didn't have nice sleep for a few days because of this.

postscript #2. no magic vbios. so plz dont PM me for it. there is no magic vbios :)

postscript #3. if you want to use it single, both v10 and v12 seems to work. However if you want to use it SLI, I think two v12 work best.

postscript #4. I think we need some more test for 980m sli.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13251[/ATTACH]

My last thanks to Mr. Fox (my hyung nim) and Prema who lead me to the right path.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100814025358AAtS2Fc

I did every step,but I couldn't opean the NVIDIA Control Panel:64:

Hi

I have removed my GTX 980m which was working very well ( over 11.000 marks in 3dmar11 which I screened before ) and put back my 7970m .

Unfortunately suddenly it stopped working and now DISRETE CARD [ Not detected ] :(

I tried Fn+F7 many times, i tried to ununstall and install all drivers , i even reinstalled the whole system and reflashed bios - nothing. card still not detected.

I donwgraded A13 bios to A11 unlocked to force PEG on start - the laptop would not start at all, the 8x beep only and black sreen. So I restarted bios , reseated the card twice

still nothing. only SG Intel Card works, the Discrete Card [ Not Detected ] :(

please help if any ideas :(

Ok, I just got an email from hidevolution about how they did the AW17 with a 120hz display.

Here's what they said:

Thank you very much* for contacting HID tech support, yes this is something that we have had success with and have been able to offer the upgrade to the 980M. If you are interested in ordering the item we can help you out with the configuration. The 980M cards that we provide have a modified vBIOS that allows the Alienware systems to recognize.

now someone needs to buy and find out how this was done and get the vbios analyzed!

Ok, I just got an email from hidevolution about how they did the AW17 with a 120hz display.

Here's what they said:

now someone needs to buy and find out how this was done and get the vbios analyzed!

I did buy 4 days ago. I will upload vbios when I get card up and running.

Tonight when I get off work.

• Thumbs Up 1

i think they're lying about modding the vbios.

I think so too. I think they are saying it just to sweeten the deal. And if they do have a modded vbios there not going to flash it to every card they sell. it would probably be on a disk they send with gpu. That's if they have one. I'll be home in an hour or so and I will see what came in the box with gpu.

I think so too. I think they are saying it just to sweeten the deal. And if they do have a modded vbios there not going to flash it to every card they sell. it would probably be on a disk they send with gpu. That's if they have one. I'll be home in an hour or so and I will see what came in the box with gpu.
I was thinking that as well. Check it out with GPU-Z and save a copy. Hopefully one of the mod-gods here can take a look at it?

Well I can confirm the only thing in box is gpu ,ic diamond ,and 8 screws. No cd or anything else. And gpu looks sealed from factory. So I can almost gurranty there is no modded vbios on card. Just walked in door so I have to take shower and visit with my family that I haven't seen in a week and then I will attempt to install my new gpu.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I can confirm the only thing in box is gpu ,ic diamond ,and 8 screws. No cd or anything else. And gpu looks sealed from factory. So I can almost gurranty there is no modded vbios on card. Just walked in door so I have to take shower and visit with my family that I haven't seen in a week and then I will attempt to install my new gpu.

no probs....try doing some benching with different vbios and see what you get.