DIY eGPU Macbook experiences

oripash

Hey guys! I just wanted to say thank you all and share with you this still warm photo of my new egpu system

http://i.imgur.com/oVT1rm7.jpg

gigabyte gtx 970 g1 + corsair cx600 + akitio thunder 2 + vga monitor + dvi-> vga adapter + macbook pro early 2011 + win8.1 mbr

I was able to run the witcher 3 and all I needed to do was just plug the TB cable, power up the computer, install drivers, reboot, set the external monitor as main monitor and fire up the witcher 3 with extreme settings.

I'm so happy right now and any of this wouldn't have been possible without you guys!

many many many thanks!

Hi all, today i buy everything i have to use to make my eGPU so I have my enclosure (Akitio Thunder2), my GPU (MSI Nvidia 750TI 2GO OC (the one fan version to fit in the enclosure)) a PSU Corsair modular 450w

and a barrel DC plug to connect to the Akitio.

My question is : when everything is plug in how can I install drivers on OS X El Capitan and enable Optimus ? (I have an rMBP early 2015 13" without dgpu)

@Dschijn thank you, so I have to install Win 8.1 ? My eGPU will not work on OS X without external screen so ?

Sorry for questions, i'm newbie in eGPU.

Edit : I see that I can use my eGPU with OS X with u'r link (Thank you !!! :05.18-flustered: )

I have another question I have my PSU and to power correctly my Akitio I have to make a barrel, so I bought a barrel plug and I have a 2x Molex to 6 pin so I have to cut the 6 Pin cable to plug it into the barrel 2,5x5,5 mm ?

I have a 2013 15" MacBook Pro with dual graphics. I'm looking to buy an enclosure, probably a Akitio Thunderbolt 2 (due to from what I read) to house a GTX 980 Ti. Also I am using a 144hz 1ms monitorwith displayport that I'm looking to hook up directly to my eGPU for better performance.I'm not entirely sure what power supply I need for this set-up from what I here I should be looking for a 300W PSU. I'd prefer one that doesn't require me using the paperclip method. The most IMPORTANT thing is that I don't know what PCIe pin cables and connectors I need for any of this to work. I really need advise urgently as I only have a limited time to acquire everything. I would really appreciate it if someone could advise me on the power supply and how to connect everything together. Thanks so much for your time.

Hi, where are you from? Maybe we can provide you with links to make it easier for you.

If you want to run a GTX 980Ti you should get a good 500-600W PSU that will have the right amount of plugs for your GPU.

Since the best PSUs for you will be PC PSUs you will have to apply the paper clip trick or buy a plug that is working the same way.

Keep in mind that you will still have to make a barrel plug that can be connected to the PSU and might consider buying a PC case to put everything into. Using such a case will make you a propper riser cable as well.

Hi, where are you from? Maybe we can provide you with links to make it easier for you.

If you want to run a GTX 980Ti you should get a good 500-600W PSU that will have the right amount of plugs for your GPU.

Since the best PSUs for you will be PC PSUs you will have to apply the paper clip trick or buy a plug that is working the same way.

Keep in mind that you will still have to make a barrel plug that can be connected to the PSU and might consider buying a PC case to put everything into. Using such a case will make you a propper riser cable as well.

I am from Singapore but I am in the US from now till the 31st Dec, so I'll be trying to get all the parts I need while I am still here as it is cheaper. Hmm... I never thought about using a PC case. Is there any that aren't too bulky and that serves my purpose, I'm looking for something I can bring around to other countries as I move around quite a lot. I don't even mind building a custom case even if it's expensive, the only issue is that even with all my research I just can't understand certain components that I need. Thanks so much for your swift reply.

Hmm if perhaps I do get a small form factor PC case, I assume I might as well get a liquid cooled GPU since I have the space or even add an SSD or HDD (mostly focus on GPU though)... Okay I'll do a bit of research now in terms of PC case but feel free to recommend me a build if you got one in mind or have seen before. I'm trying to focus on high end video editing and gaming but with some portability. I still don't understand how the connectors work. I have been reading and reading but what connectors/cables do I need to power and connect my GTX 980 Ti.

Honestly, still have no idea which PC case to fit all this into (GPU, PSU, etc...). Also found out more about a power PCIe riser, not sure which one I need though. Still if anyone found a small PC case that could house a 500-600W PSU with a GTX 980 Ti (specific dimensions in the link above^^^), please advise. Thanks

Here is a list of some nice cases: https://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/8675-egpu-cases.html

If you get the slim and up standing cases (like the RVZ01) you can simply use a flexible cable PCIe riser. Other cases might need some drilling (case modifications) or an additional riser.

The PSU you can use depends on the case. Big cases can use ATX PSUs that are available in every power grade.

Smaller cases might need smaller PSUs in SFX or SFX-L size with up to 600W.

you can also check my basic guide: https://forum.techinferno.com/apple-egpu-discussion/10061-basic-egpu-hardware-guide-macs.html

and to get an idea about a PC case, check out my 1st and 2nd build:

https://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/7879-2013-13-macbook-pro-gtx970@16gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-osx10-10-%5Bdschijn.html

https://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8571-2014-15-macbook-pro-iris-gtx970@16gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-%5Bdschijn%5D.html

SilverStone Sugo Series SG05BB-LITE Black SECC / Plastic Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case with 2 x USB3.0 ports (Black) - Newegg.com will this box be able to fit everything? Oh I see... In all cases you still need the internals from the akitio?

- - - Updated - - -

On the website for the Sugoseries it states standard 10" expansion cards can fit but the card I'm looking at is 10.5". Also I took a look at the RVZ02, seems like a perfect fit, only issue is whether a power supply fits internally and portability.

OMG... I just realized how big all the cases are... Most of them are way too big, might as well make a desktop PC... Honestly, I'm just looking for the smallest form factor way of plug and play. I've been looking at all the sites, they have good looking and well built cases but they just are either too big or too heavy for my use. I think I might just stick to the Akitio, will get back when I have finally decided.

i have MSI GTX 750 Ti and i often get kernel panic with Mac after 30 mins to 1 hour of use. this is my setup :

Akitio Thunder2

MSI GTX 750 Ti link
12V 10A power Brick link

MacBook Air mid 2013 with intel Core i7 and 8GB of RAM

OSX 10.11.1 and 10.11.2

is this a popular issue ? how can i prevent it ? will it be stable if i use it with Windows 8.1 ?

1 hour ago, atheotsky said:

i have MSI GTX 750 Ti and i often get kernel panic with Mac after 30 mins to 1 hour of use. this is my setup :

Akitio Thunder2

MSI GTX 750 Ti link
12V 10A power Brick link

MacBook Air mid 2013 with intel Core i7 and 8GB of RAM

OSX 10.11.1 and 10.11.2

is this a popular issue ? how can i prevent it ? will it be stable if i use it with Windows 8.1 ?

If you have this setup, the 12oW power brick still won't provide enough power to the 750Ti, which will crash under even modest use. I had the same setup and had to replace the card. Unless the MSI version has a 6pin power adapter, the GPU card won't be able to draw enough power directly from the PCIe slot and will kernel panic.

53 minutes ago, dludingt said:

If you have this setup, the 12oW power brick still won't provide enough power to the 750Ti, which will crash under even modest use. I had the same setup and had to replace the card. Unless the MSI version has a 6pin power adapter, the GPU card won't be able to draw enough power directly from the PCIe slot and will kernel panic.

hi @dludingt , could you tell me what card are you using ? from what i can see, that card only draw power from PCIe slot and according to this post , i think 120W is ok for this case.

Originally Posted by AKiTiO Engineer
We implemented the x16 PCIe slot although we only use x4 lanes signal that Thunderbolt can support. By spec the x16 PCIe slot is capable of 75W power while the x4 is spec’ed at 25W.. That means, if the user uses a power supply that is big enough, there is no problem that our design can support x16 PCIe card that requires 75W power. I do not know why this post described that many complicated HW reworks. The fact is, no rework is needed. That is the reason why OWC’s PCIe Box has the identical PCBAs as ours but they shipped with the 120W power supply.

By the requirement of Intel/Apple, we need to reserve 30W power for the Thunderbolt circuits because it may need to provide power to the bus-powered downstream devices. That’s why we use 60W power supply but we only leave 25W for the PCIe card. For the eGPU application, users do not connect anything else to the Thunderbolt daisy-chain. In such case 10W for the Thunderbolt circuits should be enough and there is 50W to the PCIe card. In order to support 75W power to the PCIe card, users can simply upgrade the power to 90W or larger.

From https://forum.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/6727-guide-macbook-enabling-optimus-internal-lcd-mode

On 27/10/2014 at 11:09 PM, Evo* said:

<br>In this guide I provide a way to give 100% optimus internal LCD mode on a iGPU-only equipped Macbooks (not GT650M/GT750M/HD6750M MBP) on every boot. No special hardware interaction is necessary! Discovered as part of my implementation at [GUIDE] 2013 15" Macbook Pro Iris + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1/OSX

THIS GUIDE IS INTENDED FOR WINDOWS 8.1 UEFI ONLY! PLEASE PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I wouldn’t want to get into that. That looks like it would be for a permanently-attached eGPU. Would this work instead: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/ADP4KHEAD/

On 12/14/2015 at 10:54 AM, atheotsky said:

hi @dludingt , could you tell me what card are you using ? from what i can see, that card only draw power from PCIe slot and according to this post , i think 120W is ok for this case.

I was using the EVGA GTX 750Ti card, which drew power from the PCIe slot. I too had the 120W power supply and everything sounded like it would work. But I would get random kernel panics 3-4 times a day for no apparent reason. The only explanation I could think of is that the card was not getting enough power at those points and would cause the Mac to think there was no GPU.

So, I returned the GTX750Ti, purchased the Dell power supply and a EVGA GTX 950 card, made the appropriate mods to the PSU cable and have been running 100% stable. And the beauty of that solution was that it only cost ~$75 more than the 750Ti w/no PSU solution. And I have a much more powerful card to boot!

20 hours ago, dludingt said:

I was using the EVGA GTX 750Ti card, which drew power from the PCIe slot. I too had the 120W power supply and everything sounded like it would work. But I would get random kernel panics 3-4 times a day for no apparent reason. The only explanation I could think of is that the card was not getting enough power at those points and would cause the Mac to think there was no GPU.

So, I returned the GTX750Ti, purchased the Dell power supply and a EVGA GTX 950 card, made the appropriate mods to the PSU cable and have been running 100% stable. And the beauty of that solution was that it only cost ~$75 more than the 750Ti w/no PSU solution. And I have a much more powerful card to boot!

i have installed Windows 8.1 for eGPU and underclocked my MSI GTX 750 Ti, it seems it is stable for now. but i will definitely try your solution, thank you!

Hello guys! I'm a totaly newbie in eGPU and trying to make it work.

I have 2014 MBP with GT750M, Akitio Thunder2, EVGA GTX980 and Win 8.1 in uEFI mode installed.

In device manager i see two cards(GT750M and GTX980) with no errors, but i cant make my GTX980 to work.

When i connect cable to my monitor it says "no signal". Can you guys navigate me to the solution of my problem?