Alienware M14x Battery, how to protect it? =/

hi all, I just got my brand new Alienware M14x today. Been looking around the internet and just wondering if anyone can gimme some tips on how to maintain the battery on this laptop so that I don't spoil it? I usually unplug the battery when I'm plugged in A/C but it's not exactly convenient for these laptops right? Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!

Louis, I can offer better advice this evening once I get home. We have an entry in the bios that allows you to disable battery charging which can help you maintain the life of your battery longer by not always charging it. Thanks for your post as it's a great question! Best Wishes, StevenX

• Thumbs Up 1

hi, thanks for the reply! I'll be looking into that option for now then. Another question is that, if I disable charging in bios and I'm plugged in, will my battery level go down? Or it'll just maintain as it is because the laptop will draw all the power from A/C ?

Naturally the battery charge goes down slowly over time. Nothing can be done about this with the current technology we have. All batteries whether they are Lithium Ion, Lipo, or Nicad will slowly lose charge over time.

Again great question and let me know if you can't find the option in the bios for battery charging.

Best wishes, StevenX

I use my lenovo Ideapad Y460 on battery 60% of the time I use it. myn has droped from 61000 mWH to 59065 after the 6 months Iv had it. Thats about 20 minutes roughly on average Id guesstimate, but its not 20 minutes noticeable. It feels about the same as when I first got it from the way I use it. Make sure to download batterymon, its the best battery software out there.

Batteries will lose there charge even if the laptop is turned off 100% of the time. There will be advancements in batteries sooner then later and there is currently ones called smart batteries that last alot longer in testing from what Iv heard, and thats been months ago. Dont fret over the battery though.

• Thumbs Up 1

yes the battery cells are getting more advanced and should be some astounding changes in the next decade even early into it. 30+ hours battery life on more portable type systems...

• Founder

One good practice is to not let the battery drain completely (I did that to my netbook and now I regret it cause from 11 hours it went down to 4 hours of battery life after a year) and try to keep it as cool as possible. Removing the battery while you are on AC is one option but I would advice against that because the battery serves more than one purpose when connected to the laptop. On the M17x-R2 there is combo (FN+F2) that you can press and prevent the battery from charging even on A/C, I am not sure if the M14x has something similar.

In case you want to store the battery for a long time it is suggested to charge it up to 40% and store it somewhere dry and cold ( How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries – Battery University )

• Thumbs Up 1

Keeping your battery cool during usage extends battery time available and preserves its life and longevity.

A good read StamatisX you can apply it to any lithium batteries like phones... If you keep the battery cool and don't drain the battery all the way down in fact 50-90% capacity left would still keep a fair amount of battery 6months later.

Edited by mw86