EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

Yeah I'm surprised too!

I guess you could email a re-seller on aliexpress and ask for that cable for $3 or so?

EDIT: I could come down to how the cable ends are integrated to the connectors it self. Impedance seems to be the keyword here.

I think the problem is that those HDMI cables will change all the time, the android tv makers probably have lots of suppliers.

I could try buying a high quality one (like £10) but that's still no guarantee and I've got enough short HDMI cables here now to reach to the moon and back.

Guys please can you help me. I'm new to the eGPU game and I am considering a EXP GDC for my Dell Latitude E6430 with EC slot. All I want to know is the software required? Do I need to do any of the chainloading stuff like you have to do with a PE4H or is it all plug and play. Thankyou in advance

Guys please can you help me. I'm new to the eGPU game and I am considering a EXP GDC for my Dell Latitude E6430 with EC slot. All I want to know is the software required? Do I need to do any of the chainloading stuff like you have to do with a PE4H or is it all plug and play. Thankyou in advance

I also have an E6430, but only with an i5 and no dgpu. I am running Win8.1 and had to do dsdt override, but besides this, no further modification was needed. Keep in mind that for dsdt override to work, you need to enable testsigning in win8 and win8.1!

The E6430 at work seem to use dynamic TOLUD, so no DSDT override needed for me.

Could you please give me some details about your config? I am curious why we have a difference although we seem to have the same device... I have an i5, no dgpu, no cardreader, no fingerprint reader and did the initial config with 4GB of RAM (but upgraded to 8 lately).

Is there a step by step write up of how you got this adapter to work ? Would much appreciate it.

Thanks

The gifs on the intro-post shows the physical installation, easier than ever!

The rest is system dependent so I'm trying to always here to answer those questions.

There are no dumb questions!

The gifs on the intro-post shows the physical installation, easier than ever!

The rest is system dependent so I'm trying to always here to answer those questions.

There are no dumb questions!

Just put in the order for the v6. I am scouring craigslist for a good deal on a gpu while I wait on it to arrive :)

Now I have a hp zbook 17 but it comes with a switchable intel HD 4600 (igpu) and NVidia K1100m (dgpu). Would my first step be to disable the dgpu, connect up the egpu, reboot and install the drivers for the egpu and reboot ? Does one unplug the egpu during these boots/reboots?

I already checked my TOLUD and I have more than enough on the zbook to attempt. The zbook also comes with a thunderbolt port, but I did not want to invest in a more expensive adapter just yet.

I also have a 2012 rmbp 15" , that someday I would like to try this on, but I have not found any articles where people have successfully done an egpu on the 2012 15" retina mbp.

@rubayethk

1. Yes, the dGPU needs to be disabled in order to have Nvidia Optimus compression, aka x1.2opt.

2. Depending from system to system it can vary in which stage you are supose to connect the eGPU:

NOTE: I'd start with connecting it inside windows first and see if it recognized, secondary would be after BIOS post screen, or halt at win boot logo and start eGPU from there.

3. After the 'standard VGA-adapter' gets installed it'll require a reboot, but first unplug the EC-card (or read NOTE), then reboot to system to windows again, insert EC-card again and install NVIDIA drivers.

NOTE: There is a 2-way reset-delay switch on the EXP GDC (look at front-top-left side), one of the settings should enable you to reboot w/o ejecting the EC-card.

4. Good to hear about the TOLUD, with a large TOLUD you won't have to do any DSDT override. Sounds like you have a plug n play setup here.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Post your here results later on =)

GLHF

EDIT: I'd warmly recommend to buy a Asus mini GTX670, covers the adapter perfectly =)

post-6049-14494997710258_thumb.jpg

It's cloudhero, as usual. The product appears to be the complete set (with Dell DA-2), if you click the link to taobao provided in that page. The only thing is that it says 500g as weight...

It's cloudhero, as usual. The product appears to be the complete set (with Dell DA-2), if you click the link to taobao provided in that page. The only thing is that it says 500g as weight...

No they are just trolling, the shipping will be calculated after the item arrives at Easy-Taobao:

post-6049-14494997710704_thumb.png

@rubayethk

1. Yes, the dGPU needs to be disabled in order to have Nvidia Optimus compression, aka x1.2opt.

2. Depending from system to system it can vary in which stage you are supose to connect the eGPU:

NOTE: I'd start with connecting it inside windows first and see if it recognized, secondary would be after BIOS post screen, or halt at win boot logo and start eGPU from there.

3. After the 'standard VGA-adapter' gets installed it'll require a reboot, but first unplug the EC-card (or read NOTE), then reboot to system to windows again, insert EC-card again and install NVIDIA drivers.

NOTE: There is a 2-way reset-delay switch on the EXP GDC (look at front-top-left side), one of the settings should enable you to reboot w/o ejecting the EC-card.

4. Good to hear about the TOLUD, with a large TOLUD you won't have to do any DSDT override. Sounds like you have a plug n play setup here.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Post your here results later on =)

GLHF

EDIT: I'd warmly recommend to buy a Asus mini GTX670, covers the adapter perfectly =)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11744[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the info. One more question. Do connect your external monitor from your laptop or from the egpu ? Does it make a difference ? I don't see a connection in your picture.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. One more question. Do connect your external monitor from your laptop or from the egpu ? Does it make a difference ? I don't see a connection in your picture.

Thanks

The picture displays internal screen usage. Using external screen gives much better performance since the data signal only travels one way:

System -> eGPU -> External monitor

Compared to internal screen round trip:

System -> eGPU -> System -> Internal screen

You can see here that the bandwidth gets rather limited due to counter traffic at the same link.

Hello, the EXP GDC V6 I recently ordered arrived today. It is a nice piece of hardware, but I am ashamed to admit that I don't even know how to use it :nonchalance:

The PE4L 2.1b always worked alright. I just plugged it in and everything worked.

Now with the GDC V6, I plug in the Dell PSU (the power brick), connect the 6 pin cables to the gtx 570 and turn on my notebook. Results: nothing.

The adapter's light turns blue, that's all. Nothing in the device manager, setup 1.x.

Am I doing something wrong? Turning that little switch changes nothing

I am using a "heavily modded" (for air flow) HP 2570p with an i7 3720QM CPU and 8 gigs of ram.

thank you!

best regards,

uftherr

Edit: It sems it only works somethimes :o

However, i plugged it the egpu. seems to be working well right now, so I wanted to test if the Dell PSU is enough for the GTX 570.

I wanted to stress it a little so ran furmark. The power brick makes weird sounds while running that, though it did not crashed. I ran it about 30 secs, then got "scared".

jacobsson, does this also happen to you?