EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

I've just got answer from banggood:

"Dear Jakub,

We are sorry about that,this set is matching with the ATX power cable,and this cable is supply the power.We are sorry for didn't updata the message immediately.You can try about to connect it.If have any question,please contact us.

Best regard

Riga "

So they "FORGOT" to update info in the item description...no comment

Yep, that's a shame. The cable is pretty significant for your application.

Please update me if you find another source for a modular 6-pin splitter (additional to the sources in the first post).

Just the intel HD 3000 and the gtx 560ti, I'll try that now and post the results of that :P

EDIT:

That didn't really work, but then again, it's kinda hard to time because the laptop boots pretty fast.

BTW:

In the DSDT override thread (used to battle error 12) it says the problem is known to occur in Elitebooks with an AMD GPU but mine doesn't have an AMD GPU :/

I also tried it with 2GB RAM in stead of 8GB, still the same problem.

Hmm... Win 8.1 has been kind to me regarding PCI space. I remember when setting up my Win7 Dell 6430 I had the same problems, since it was a protected work-station I couldn't use setup 1.x to solve the problem. What I did was different trial and error plugging unplugging of the power and Expresscard, eg. :

• powered eGPU up during boot
  • powering up the eGPU during boot
  • powering up the eGPU just after BIOS post
  • powering up the eGPU just before WIN load screen
  • powering up the eGPU just during WIN load screen

After some "random" plugging of this method it got registered for some reason. You could always try this!

Also, I remember one of my workstations had a bad EC-port which forced me to hold the expresscard pushed in with a little force to get connection, I did not let it "lock back" those 2mm that it normally do.

If none of this helps you, you might need the setup 1.x software. If so I would first consult with @Tech Inferno Fan for an opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm... Win 8.1 has been kind to me regarding PCI space. I remember when setting up my Win7 Dell 6430 I had the same problems, since it was a protected work-station I couldn't use setup 1.x to solve the problem. What I did was different trial and error plugging unplugging of the power and Expresscard, eg. :

• powered eGPU up during boot
  • powering up the eGPU during boot
  • powering up the eGPU just after BIOS post
  • powering up the eGPU just before WIN load screen
  • powering up the eGPU just during WIN load screen

After some "random" plugging of this method it got registered for some reason. You could always try this!

Also, I remember one of my workstations had a bad EC-port which forced me to hold the expresscard pushed in with a little force to get connection, I did not let it "lock back" those 2mm that it normally do.

If none of this helps you, you might need the setup 1.x software. If so I would first consult with @Tech Inferno Fan for an opinion.

Nope, no luck :/

@Tech Inferno Fan

Could you tell me what to do/try?

I have an Elitebook 2560p with 8GB ram on Windows 8.1 and I get error 12 on the GTX560 ti.

Nope, no luck :/

@Tech Inferno Fan

Could you tell me what to do/try?

I have an Elitebook 2560p with 8GB ram on Windows 8.1 and I get error 12 on the GTX560 ti.

2570P and 8470P owners discovered that Win8.1 caused error 12 with NVidia cards that worked fine with Win7. The fix there was either to use Setup 1.30 or to do a UEFI installation of Win8.1. See details.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bought the GTX 970 today in the UK, will arrive on Monday. Hopefully the DA-2 and modular cable I ordered off eBay will arrive before Wednesday as well.

£12 for the DA-2 including the kettle cable and I found the modular cable on eBay also for £5. For those in the UK who rather buy from the UK:

8 Pin To 8 Or 6 Pin PCI E3 Express Cable - Modular Graphics Power Supply | eBay

Hopefully the GTX 970 will work out the box with my X220.

• Thumbs Up 1

2570P and 8470P owners discovered that Win8.1 caused error 12 with NVidia cards that worked fine with Win7. The fix there was either to use Setup 1.30 or to do a UEFI installation of Win8.1. See details.

Thanks!

I'll give that a shot, if it still won't work I'll contact you about Setup 1.30 :)

Hey guys! Just shit happens. So, I've got my EXP GDC. There was 20 pin + 4 pin to 8 pin cable for that. Also, I've got GTX 750 Ti and ATX power supply. I removed Wi-Fi from mpcie in laptop. Well, I connected everything and was trying to launch laptop. When I pressed laptop power button, laptop has been started and EXP GDC started (blue indicate and fans on videocard and power supply were spinning). But! Laptop screen has nothing! I haven't external screen right now, but as I know it must working without external. I tried to reboot and it was again. May I destroed my laptop??? Fan of laptop and indicate are working. I have forgotten about specs. Asus K53SD, Intel core i7 2670QM. HD 3000 and nvidia 610m. After I plug out everything and trying to launch laptop again, I have black screen too!!!

Hi,

Great topic here

I have some q:

1. Will this eGPU work on my system? I have thinkpad t420s i5-2540 with ec slot, my version have Intel HD graphic 3000 only with no nvidia optimus version, I already update my bios to the latest version, Do I still have that TOLUD problem? I'm running windows 7 64-bit and 8GB memory.

2. My GPU runs in 102 watt max, can you suggest some suitable adapter for me? because that dell d2 220watt seems overpowered and adapter 12v 5a still not enough?

3. I'm planning on reselling this product in my location (SEA), cause v*d*ck seems too overprice here and ppl don't really have any other option, do exp gdc recommended for reselling? or should I grab b-plus product instead? I'm planning to take $5-$10 margin from 1 unit, and I'll test all product before I sell it.

4. Forgive my bad english will you?

So I formatted my SSD to GPT, but I have no way to start up the installation under UEFI. I have a USB stick with the Windows 8 installation on it, it works alright but when I try to install windows to the GPT partition it says it can't install it there. BTW, I have UEFI boot enabled in the bios but it only lists the options "notebook upgrade bay", "os boot manager" and "notebook ethernet" as UEFI boot options. How can I UEFI boot from the usb stick?

EDIT:

Oops, seems like I may have spoken too soon. I tried booting from EFI now (wasn't listed in the bios as a boot option but it's there under F9 :P) and that seems to have done it.

The GPU is now installed, NVidia drivers included. No more error 12! Thanks @Tech Inferno Fan! Only problem now is that erhm.. It doesn't really do anything. In GPU-Z the Pixel Fillrate, Texture Fillrate, Memory Type etc.. are unknown. I can't extend the screen to an external monitor and it doesn't show up in Furmark :/

eF3WUUq.png

• Thumbs Up 1

So I formatted my SSD to GPT, but I have no way to start up the installation under UEFI. I have a USB stick with the Windows 8 installation on it, it works alright but when I try to install windows to the GPT partition it says it can't install it there. BTW, I have UEFI boot enabled in the bios but it only lists the options "notebook upgrade bay", "os boot manager" and "notebook ethernet" as UEFI boot options. How can I UEFI boot from the usb stick?

EDIT:

Oops, seems like I may have spoken too soon. I tried booting from EFI now (wasn't listed in the bios as a boot option but it's there under F9 :P) and that seems to have done it.

The GPU is now installed, NVidia drivers included. No more error 12! Thanks @Tech Inferno Fan! Only problem now is that erhm.. It doesn't really do anything. In GPU-Z the Pixel Fillrate, Texture Fillrate, Memory Type etc.. are unknown. I can't extend the screen to an external monitor and it doesn't show up in Furmark :/

eF3WUUq.png

Almost there. Now flick the EXP GDC V6 little black slider switch on the far left to the left position to enable PCI Reset Delay. Then restart the EXP GDC V6 just before notebook (or if have the Dell DA-2, let it do it automatically). That will bypass BIOS hang during boot AND delay PCI assertion such that when the eGPU does appear on the PCIe bus it will be in a better 'configured' state.

• Thumbs Up 1

Almost there. Now flick the EXP GDC V6 little black slider switch on the far left to the left position to enable PCI Reset Delay. Then restart the EXP GDC V6 just before notebook (or if have the Dell DA-2, let it do it automatically). That will bypass BIOS hang during boot AND delay PCI assertion such that when the eGPU does appear on the PCIe bus it will be in a better 'configured' state.

I've always had it on the left, otherwise it wouldn't boot at all. Any other things to try?

I've always had it on the left, otherwise it wouldn't boot at all. Any other things to try?

Try switching the PCIe Reset Delay switch to the right. Then halt Win7/8 loading with F8/F12 and hotplug the expresscard into the expresscard slot, then continue loading Win7/8.

If still no go, then (with switch on right), sleep machine, power off eGPU, then resume it to see if that resolves the problem. Ensure all PCIe power connectors are receiving power too.

• Thumbs Up 1

I want to buy this EXP GDC to eGPU a Gigabyte 7950 Boost I just bought, connected using EC on my x220.

Some pre-buy questions:

- apart from building quality there are any other reason to prefer PE4C v2? I did prefer EXP GDC since cost less with enclosure (even if without the metal for V6 it's much less attractive).

- To power my HD 7950 boost I will need 2x8pin PCIe power connectors splitter, where can find it one in EU? Or can me write the specifications so that I can find it one in my country?

Jcagara08

Remember that this's just for V7.0 at this point, the V6.0 is coming later. I'll ask him if he could consider a black version too.

@jacobsson

Yez please tell em black version for the EXP GDC V6, what are your thoughts on this enclosure vs the acrylic one?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

@jacobsson

Yez please tell em black version for the EXP GDC V6, what are your thoughts on this enclosure vs the acrylic one?

I think this looks awesome, really something I'd love to have on my desk!

The acrylic is much more hardcore since you see all cable work and such, could be really cool with some blue leds for those who like that kind of modding =)

If I had one request it would be a 20CM version, black or grey doesn't matter, for the portability of ITX cards. Then adding a 150W small sized AC-adapter for the GTX970 :P

I think this looks awesome, really something I'd love to have on my desk!

The acrylic is much more hardcore since you see all cable work and such, could be really cool with some blue leds for those who like that kind of modding =)

If I had one request it would be a 20CM version, black or grey doesn't matter, for the portability of ITX cards. Then adding a 150W small sized AC-adapter for the GTX970 :P

I am a bit worried about electric conductivity of the steel one, will it give possible shock? Hell i love electronics but not electricity.

Yes why not give this suggestion mate? Later on it might evolve to a combo PCB, Enclosure, and Power adapter in one package, like that of the sonnet III D and will surely expand the audience and his sales!

I am a bit worried about electric conductivity of the steel one, will it give possible shock? Hell i love electronics but not electricity.

Yes why not give this suggestion mate? Later on it might evolve to a combo PCB, Enclosure, and Power adapter in one package, like that of the sonnet III D and will surely expand the audience and his sales!

I'm no expert in this at all but I think it's standard to use an anodized layer inside metallic electronics enclosures, which makes it non-conductive. You could always test it with your multimeter to be sure.

I'm pretty sure Cloud has this figured out =)

Try switching the PCIe Reset Delay switch to the right. Then halt Win7/8 loading with F8/F12 and hotplug the expresscard into the expresscard slot, then continue loading Win7/8.

If still no go, then (with switch on right), sleep machine, power off eGPU, then resume it to see if that resolves the problem. Ensure all PCIe power connectors are receiving power too.

The first had no use, powering the egpu during sleep and then resuming made it work ONCE, I got so excited that I immediately booted up Furmark to test it which resulted in a BSOD and afterwards I couldn't get it to work another time. Any more options :P? Or can it be helped by Setup 1.3?

I'm no expert in this at all but I think it's standard to use an anodized layer inside metallic electronics enclosures, which makes it non-conductive. You could always test it with your multimeter to be sure.

I'm pretty sure Cloud has this figured out =)

well alrighty then, I hope the enclosure for V6 will soon be released too, otherwise the acrylic one would be better for me I guess