EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

If you are running Win7 then that is not an option. The driver model there requires the primary bootup video device to be functional and only then can an eGPU work. There, or if you want the dGPU+eGPU active in Win8.x, you'll need to implement the DSDT override and (probably) do 36-bit PCI compaction.

After another 2 hours of reading and watching YouTube video I now know what the problem is. I know how to create *.aml file, although it has 201 errors and I can't use this. I know that there is post on how to fix those errors. But I cannot use this information because my Command Line doesn't show me the whole error list. I can't scroll up to see all the errors... I don't know how it is even possible :D I tried to adjust height, buffer size etc and nothing happened. Maybe one of you had this bug in Windows 7? Without scrolling in cmd line I can't get rid of the errors in aml file.

EDIT: When I use my aml file to do the "loadtable" i get Error: Cannot map update image.

I know with Linux you can easily redirect all output of the command line to a file. Maybe this is possible with windows 7 too.

Somehow I found solution to this problem.

I am still with 201 errors on hand and none of them matches kizwan's guide. I'd like to try using iASL compiler and Windows ACPI tools newest version (20140724) so I am now in battle with this one ;)

EDIT: I don't want to write two posts so I will just edit this one. Maybe someone will help me :)

I have created dsdt_161B_EGPU.dsl without any problem. When I try to compile it I have 201 errors, but DSDT_EGPU_OVERRIDE.aml appears in appropriate folder. When I try to load this file into the registry I get Error: Cannot map update image (DSDT_EGPU_OVERRIDE.aml).

So I have checked my dsdt_161B_EGPU.dsl for errors, this is what I found out:

I don't have parse error

I don't have Error 4080 - Invalid object type for reserved name

I don't have Error 4051 - Method local variable is not initialized

I found one error 4043 - ^ Invalid combination of Length and Min/Max fixed flags (but it has different number then in in kizwan's example)

Below I have attatched text file with the operations I made in cmd line. There are also all the errors in dsl file. Hopefully my journey with eGPU isn't over :D

FINAL DUMP.txt

I assume you're using cmd.exe as your commandline tool? Because cmd.exe will indeed significantly limit output. You could Powershell instead, which has a much larger scroll-back pane. I don't know how much errors you get, but I know cdm.exe is quite bad for log output. :)

I assume you're using cmd.exe as your commandline tool? Because cmd.exe will indeed significantly limit output. You could Powershell instead, which has a much larger scroll-back pane. I don't know how much errors you get, but I know cdm.exe is quite bad for log output. :)

It's fine now. I even attatched whole output of my procedures, so someone might help me with my problem :)

EDIT: I managed to fix my *.dsl file so now it's cleaned out of errors (I got zero). But now ASL Compiler v4.0 doesn't work with me :D

EDIT 2: I finished step 6 of DSDT Override. MS ASL Compiler "said" that "Table overriding suceeded", but I don't have "Large Memory" in my DM :(

EDIT 3: Managed to tackle the above, not I struggle with error 43

It's fine now. I even attatched whole output of my procedures, so someone might help me with my problem :)

EDIT: I managed to fix my *.dsl file so now it's cleaned out of errors (I got zero). But now ASL Compiler v4.0 doesn't work with me :D

EDIT 2: I finished step 6 of DSDT Override. MS ASL Compiler "said" that "Table overriding suceeded", but I don't have "Large Memory" in my DM :(

EDIT 3: Managed to tackle the above, not I struggle with error 43

EDIT 4: It's working ATI Radeon HD 5770 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2520M Processor,Hewlett-Packard 1619 . I am quite happy with the score, but now my wifi card in laptop isn't working. I think it's because I changed one too many things in the Setup 1.x. I'd like to thank @Tech Inferno Fan @jacobsson @Brom and all of those who contributed in the sections for the eGPU, if I will ever meet you in real life I will buy you a drink :D

Hey I am curios as what type of PCIE cable did they include? is it a modular 6 + 6 + 2 type?

And how about an image of the PLUG? is it in UK EU or US type?

Can't wait to order mine..grrrr

Hi buddy!

It's an 6-pin male to 6 / 6+2 male PCIe.

The plug is not included if I remember correctly, which means you need to provide one for yourself.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi buddy!

The plug is not included if I remember correctly, which means you need to provide one for yourself.

Alright thanks much buddy jacobson!

I am in a dilemma whether I should go with a 7870 GHZ ed or 7950 with that dell DA-2 220 watt DC adapter...

plenty of good prices nowadays on the 'bay

Alright thanks much buddy jacobson!

I am in a dilemma whether I should go with a 7870 GHZ ed or 7950 with that dell DA-2 220 watt DC adapter...

plenty of good prices nowadays on the 'bay

So the TDP of the 7870GHz edition and 7950 is both ~200W?

Then I'd go for the 7950 since it seems to outperform the 7870 in most aspects:

AnandTech | Bench - GPU12

What laptop did you have?

• Thumbs Up 1

So the TDP of the 7870GHz edition and 7950 is both ~200W?

Then I'd go for the 7950 since it seems to outperform the 7870 in most aspects:

AnandTech | Bench - GPU12

What laptop did you have?

Appreciate your replies man!

7950 is @ 200W

7870 Ghz ed @ 180W

But to my concern load power consumption results for an R9 270X is at 280 Watts as per anandtech tests to (it was Crysis 3)

That's why I could not decide but few minutes back found a very nice deal of a Radeon 7950 @ 115 bucks at the bay.

BSODs and glitches will be there when GPU is going to need more watt power than 220W right?

I don't want to use an ATX thats why LOL

But I am sure I will build a PC by Q1 2015, be it in SFF or mini ITX style.

And will definitely use this boy 7950 on it if it manages to survive.

budget constraints.....

I got a lenovo G500 i5-3230M+HD 8570M

I am not even sure if the mPCI-e port on this is on its whitelist, perhaps Nando4 setup 1.30 can eliminate that I am right?

Appreciate your replies man!

7950 is @ 200W

7870 Ghz ed @ 180W

But to my concern load power consumption results for an R9 270X is at 280 Watts as per anandtech tests to (it was Crysis 3)

That's why I could not decide but few minutes back found a very nice deal of a Radeon 7950 @ 115 bucks at the bay.

BSODs and glitches will be there when GPU is going to need more watt power than 220W right?

I don't want to use an ATX thats why LOL

I got a lenovo G500 i5-3230M+HD 8570M

I am not even sure if the mPCI-e port on this is on its whitelist, perhaps Nando4 setup 1.30 can eliminate that I am right?

Oh ok. So do you have the iGPU active?

The reason I'm asking is because an Nvidia card combined with intel iGPU is preferred due to optimus compression.

Oh ok. So do you have the iGPU active?

The reason I'm asking is because an Nvidia card combined with intel iGPU is preferred due to optimus compression.

Yup I have an onboard 1GB Intel 4000 HD + 1GB AMD Radeon 8750M GPU.

And for that I think I could not be able to use an NVIDIA GPU right?

Setup 1.30 by Tech Inferno Fan might do the trick

Yup I have an onboard 1GB Intel 4000 HD + 1GB AMD Radeon 8750M GPU.

And for that I think I could not be able to use an NVIDIA GPU right?

Setup 1.30 by Tech Inferno Fan might do the trick

Is there anything in BIOS that allows to disable the dGPU?

Like 'switchable graphics'?

According to some googling you can disable the dGPU, this would mean that you can have a Nvidia card with optimus compression and use internal screen too.

Let me know what you find!

Hi buddy!

I guess that you are refering to the EXP GDC? It doesn't come with PCIe adapter, and you need to buy same cable as those provided with modular power supplies. It's pretty tricky IMHO ;)

I guess that you are refering to the EXP GDC? It doesn't come with PCIe adapter, and you need to buy same cable as those provided with modular power supplies. It's pretty tricky IMHO ;)

Yes, the mentioned 6pin modular PCIe cable is included in the package (with dell adapter), did you not get one?

I'm sorry but how do you mean tricky?

Yes, the mentioned 6pin modular PCIe cable is included in the package (with dell adapter), did you not get one?

I'm sorry but how do you mean tricky?

It IS in the package? It wasn't in mine. All I got was ATX cable so that I can plug in regular ATX Power Supply. It means that you have to buy this cable:

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1852090239/EXP_GDC_6P_turned_the_second_tier.jpg_200x200.jpg

But from what I know Hero Cloud doesn't sell it right now, so you have to buy it somewhere in local computer store. At least that was what I had to do.

Is there anything in BIOS that allows to disable the dGPU?

Like 'switchable graphics'?

According to some googling you can disable the dGPU, this would mean that you can have a Nvidia card with optimus compression and use internal screen too.

Let me know what you find!

Yeah I'll do that once I get home still at work though, but I am biased and more to the RED team LOL and I been into battlefield 3 and 4 lately so figures..

It IS in the package? It wasn't in mine. All I got was ATX cable so that I can plug in regular ATX Power Supply. It means that you have to buy this cable:

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1852090239/EXP_GDC_6P_turned_the_second_tier.jpg_200x200.jpg

But from what I know Hero Cloud doesn't sell it right now, so you have to buy it somewhere in local computer store. At least that was what I had to do.

Whoah alright thanks for the heads up buddy! this cable is quite generic right and can be bought at any computer hardware store right?

How do I make contact with Hero Cloud? Can he communicate in english?

Whoah alright thanks for the heads up buddy! this cable is quite generic right and can be bought at any computer hardware store right?

Are you guys buying from aliexpress (does not include dell 220w psu) or yoybuy (includes dell PSU)?

If yoybuy, then you'll receive all cables needed.

@madman3000

Did you buy the package that included the dell PSU? If not, then the logic is that you are going to use an ATX psu.

In the intro post I linked three modular PCIe cables that you can buy.

I have to say that I thought that you can't order PSU version to the Europe, because of some shipment problems, so I bought this version for 48USD, and then I bought DELL PSU here in Poland. So I am refering to this version. Sorry if I have made any confusion ;)

You should be able to buy it in any store (but now I don't know which version you bought). Hero Cloud answers in english, but really, really poorly. He writes max one sentence and it's hard to decipher what he meant in it :D

I bought it from aliexpres.

@madman3000 @jcagara08

If looking for modular cables (which indeed is not very common), look inthe intro post , I linked three modular PCIe cables that you can buy online for less then $10.

The idea of the "non-DELL-PSU-Version" is that you would hook it up via ATX power supply, which means you can provide the GPU with PCIe from the ATX, tha cable is not necessary for this.

The power bundled version includes the dell psu, which means you would need the modular PCIe cable in order to forward the power from the EXP GDC power port to the GPU.

Again, if looking for modular cables (which indeed is not very common), look inthe intro post , I linked three modular PCIe cables that you can buy online for less then $10.

Sure, I think that we all understand that, I think that your introduction post makes everything clear :) I just have to say that this cable in my local computer store costs about $8 :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Sure, I think that we all understand that, I think that your introduction post makes everything clear :) I just have to say that this cable in my local computer store costs about $8 :D

Nice!

I remember looking for one at home but failed =)

Of course I'd even pay $15 for one if I could get it instantly.

- - - Updated - - -

I have to say that I thought that you can't order PSU version to the Europe, because of some shipment problems, so I bought this version for 48USD, and then I bought DELL PSU here in Poland. So I am refering to this version. Sorry if I have made any confusion ;)

You should be able to buy it in any store (but now I don't know which version you bought). Hero Cloud answers in english, but really, really poorly. He writes max one sentence and it's hard to decipher what he meant in it :D

I bought it from aliexpres.

Oh, I yeah use a lot of linked pictures when speaking to him.

I even draw some in paint if needed =)