Just bought this for my incoming M18x

Brian

• Founder

Order #: XXXXXX(shipped via UPS Guaranteed 3 Day)

Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory Model KHX1600C9S3K2/8GX

Item #: N82E16820104230

Memory Standard Return Policy

$99.99

Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW160G3K5 2.5" 160GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Item #: N82E16820167053

Limited Replacement Only Return Policy

$319.99

Subtotal $419.98

Tax $32.59

UPS Guaranteed 3 Day $0.00

Rush Processing (Preferred Account) -$2.99

Rush Processing $2.99

Promo Code -$25.00

Order Total $427.57

:36_002:

• Founder

Yeah thanks..i know it's SATA II but like we discussed, I won't need high sequential since I don't do heavy editing/file transfers and 4k r/w are limited on notebooks so this seemed like the perfect buy. Good price, nice capacity and faster than the previous X25-M.

• Founder
what do you think about the OCZ vertex 3? that is my next toy i think. insane speeds.

It's awesome but unreliable. I wanted Intel for peace of mind and the vertex 3 really won't be all that useful in a notebook due to limited 4k r/w. If you do a lot of file transfers, editing etc then it's useful I guess. Personally I'd rather save money and go with Intel.

It's awesome but unreliable. I wanted Intel for peace of mind and the vertex 3 really won't be all that useful in a notebook due to limited 4k r/w. If you do a lot of file transfers, editing etc then it's useful I guess. Personally I'd rather save money and go with Intel.

Nice Brian, it seems you gonna build a speed demon.

• Founder

All good buys Brian, congratz!

I'd personally go with a SATA III SSD... Those chipset limitations can be fixed by the OS tweaks we discussed, and then you'd get the advertised performance.

As for reliability, gotta agree with you there, Intel seems like the safest choice

/my thoughts

• Thumbs Up 1

Does the m18x suffer from the same random write issues that the m17x r2 does? I wasnt aware of this. Otherwise, random writes are the same as a desktop - there isnt a reason why they should be different.

Any links for this?

-Ash

• Thumbs Up 1

Order #: XXXXXX(shipped via UPS Guaranteed 3 Day)

Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory Model KHX1600C9S3K2/8GX

Item #: N82E16820104230

Memory Standard Return Policy

$99.99

Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW160G3K5 2.5" 160GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Item #: N82E16820167053

Limited Replacement Only Return Policy

$319.99

Subtotal $419.98

Tax $32.59

UPS Guaranteed 3 Day $0.00

Rush Processing (Preferred Account) -$2.99

Rush Processing $2.99

Promo Code -$25.00

Order Total $427.57

Promo code, eh?

And as you saw at NBR, I ended up with the same RAM. :)

I'm really tempted to go with the Intel 320 300GB SSD or perhaps the 510 120GB. The old M-25 would end up in my wife's laptop.

• Founder
Does the m18x suffer from the same random write issues that the m17x r2 does? I wasnt aware of this. Otherwise, random writes are the same as a desktop - there isnt a reason why they should be different.

Any links for this?

-Ash

I know the M17x-R3 suffers from that, and since it and M18x share the same chipset, it's clear the M18x will be limited the same way.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Founder
Promo code, eh?

And as you saw at NBR, I ended up with the same RAM. :)

I'm really tempted to go with the Intel 320 300GB SSD or perhaps the 510 120GB. The old M-25 would end up in my wife's laptop.

320 GB SSD would be super nice, I only had the budget for a 160 GB for now.

hide Process Info

Status: Shipped - Your order has shipped. You may view your tracking information by clicking the applicable Tracking Number below. However, your tracking number may not appear immediately as the shipping couriers update only periodically. Your tracking number(s) will also be sent via e-mail to your Newegg.com login. Please note that if the Order Status changed to Shipped on a weekend, your purchase will not physically be shipped by shipping carrier until the next business day.

That was fast, wish my M18x would ship out as quick.

hmm interesting. the OCZ's have a 3 year warranty and the nand is made at the joint intel/micron facility. barring any binning discrepencys they should have the same reliability and the only difference is intel vs sandforce controllers.... right?

so we cant take full advantage of ssds with these machines? maybe we should start a new thread and when my vertex 3 comes in we can do our own testing and try to get to the bottom of this.

• Founder
hmm interesting. the OCZ's have a 3 year warranty and the nand is made at the joint intel/micron facility. barring any binning discrepencys they should have the same reliability and the only difference is intel vs sandforce controllers.... right?

so we cant take full advantage of ssds with these machines? maybe we should start a new thread and when my vertex 3 comes in we can do our own testing and try to get to the bottom of this.

Sure, just check those first:

http://forum.techinferno.com/storage/171-maximum-ssd-performance-your-laptop-throttlestop-registry-mod.html

http://forum.techinferno.com/storage/30-installing-ssd-tips-tricks-benchmarks.html

And in general, we most likely will never see laptops to be able to get 100% of a fast SSD's performance, the reason is the power saving features, even with desktops you have to do some changes in order to get all the juice...

I would have expected intel to do a workaround.

This shit is kinda a dealbreaker for me. I do game dev and rely on high HDD speeds for the tools I use.

If I buy a notebook I want the power saving features. I also want my SSD's to run at full speed.

Fuck.

-Ash

• Founder

Yeah I would expect that too, but, as I understand the problem, it's that the CPU doesn't change states fast enough (from lower like C3 to higher like C1) when there is some I/O activity to the SSD, that's why when you run a program in the background you see an improvement in performance, but even that is not enough.

Hmm this may be a joint 18x/17xr3 operation. too bad i didnt toss the ssd in the r3 and run some tests before i sent it back. would be nice too see if there were any differences with the same drive.

• Founder
I would have expected intel to do a workaround.

This shit is kinda a dealbreaker for me. I do game dev and rely on high HDD speeds for the tools I use.

If I buy a notebook I want the power saving features. I also want my SSD's to run at full speed.

Fuck.

-Ash

Worst case scenario the notebook SSD will be a few seconds slower than a fully powered desktop SSD. The benchmarks will show it to be a lot slower but real world usage you won't really see it.

(Off topic a little) Ram, what 1600mhz ram is sold with R3 and M18... will it compare to stock R2 1333mhz ram? I had it overclocked to close 1500mhz with setfsb... Perhaps the stock ram sold with R3 and M18 can overclock to similar range? It didn't require any vram volt increase.

• Founder

Should be the same generic ram the R2 has. But since I wanted 8 GB, I decided to go with Kingston hyperx instead.

Worst case scenario the notebook SSD will be a few seconds slower than a fully powered desktop SSD. The benchmarks will show it to be a lot slower but real world usage you won't really see it.

Yeah, I realise that but for the money I am paying, the premium I am paying, and the work I am doing I expect and need it to be 100%.

I need to make package files and compile code many times an hour, sometimes 50 times or more, and over the course of a day or a week it adds up very quickly to be a massive unnecessary timesink.

For gaming, no one is gonna miss it but for my work it is a dealbreaker unfortunately.

-Ash