Customize Alienware M15x

G@M3R

Hello Gamers! I have a query regarding Alienware M15x customization and would very much appreciate your help! It so happens that I am getting a great deal on a boxed M15x model released in 2009. Understandably, the specs are none too great for 2013. The specs are as follows,

CPU: Intel® Core i7-820QM Mobile Processor (1.73GHz, turbo up to 3.06GHz, 8MB L3)

Storage: 500GB 7200RPM SATA

RAM: 4GB Dual-channel 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM (2 x 2GB)

GPU: 1GB GDDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260M

Now I know that the model came out with Core i7 920XM Extreme Edition, which still can handle only 8 GB RAM. I was wondering if I am to upgrade the system, what is the maximum load I can put in her? Can I make her advanced enough to run great games that will roll out in coming 3 years? I have a 1920x1080 display on her, so I would be glad if I can make use of it for at least most games. Help me out here guys!

Thanks!

G@M3R

First of all get an SSD :P

Then a nice GPU, if you want to be top-end then you can get a Nvidia 680m or an AMD 7970m. The 675mx is ok as well I guess, but you would need to overclock it else that one isn't really worth the money imo.

16GB RAM works.

The 820QM is already a nice CPU, if you want to overclock then get a 920XM engineering sample from ebay or similar, or OEM version if you find a cheap one. 940xm is the same chip, slightly better binning, and still too expensive if you ask me.

Thank you svl7! :) 16GB RAM works with 820QM?? When I looked up the specs of both 820QM and 920XM in Intel Site, it said only up to 8GB RAM. That is why I was looking for a CPU upgrade. Also how much GPU will the board support? Will it run 2 GB AMD 7970M GDDR5?

I saw a thread about Orion backpacks and I was wondering if you guys could tell me its worth buying or not. I cannot locate a M15x Orion model so I guess I'll be buying a M17x. I want to buy a great laptop backpack for the Alienware. Should I go for Orion or something else [Max: $100]? Thanks!

• 1 month later...

You can consider this one too!

Alienware Orion M17x Tactical Backpack

Price is around 85 bucks only!

I saw a thread about Orion backpacks and I was wondering if you guys could tell me its worth buying or not. I cannot locate a M15x Orion model so I guess I'll be buying a M17x. I want to buy a great laptop backpack for the Alienware. Should I go for Orion or something else [Max: $100]? Thanks!

I would advise against the Orion. The stitches around the handle are giving up on mine and I've only used it around 7 times. Granted I'm a sucker for matching equipment and that was the sole reason for getting the Orion. That said, my M17X R2 and its 240W power brick is much heavier than the M15X so it just might work without issue in your case.

I have a similar spec'ed machine. Already installed a small SSD.

I am looking at upgrading the Graphics Card First, then maybe the RAM, then buy a 2nd HDD Caddy for it.

I am looking at sticking with the 4GB of RAM for now and getting the video card first I am looking at the 7970M.

Found a cheap one :) Also with the RAM, is more better ? Will 8GB be fine ? or should I get 16GB ?

I am not made if money, however the 7970 I have lined up is real cheap off a mate.

Cheers

7970m is still an excellent choice for gpu upgrade despite release of next gen cards. The 8970m is just a 7970m with slightly higher core clocks (through boost speed in BIOS) and 4GB of DDR5 but with higher voltage requirements (around 1.075v).

Thus it might not work well on M15x without undervolting. Just get a 7970m at a lower cost?