Nvidia GTX Titan SLI

Conker

• Founder
Where are you going to be posting your benches?? I'm interested in comparisons that I can use to gauge where I'm at performance wise in games like Crysis 3, which I play Very High except Shadows and Shading on Medium and with 2X SMAA to get the best performance.. Obviously I'd love to see some comparatives in Borderlands 2 hopefully but yeah I'm definitely interested in checking out your benches and whatnot.

Here's 3DMARK 11 with a modded vbios that locks voltage at 1.212v: NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3770K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS V FORMULA score: P14641 3DMarks On the stock vbios and voltage maxed out, I can do +160 core and +210 memory in 3dmark 11. Also, my ASIC quality sucks, its 64.1%, what's yours? I might exchange this card tomorrow at Fry's and see if I have better luck with another one. The guys over at overclock forums are hitting as high as 1200-1250+ mhz boost.

• Founder

So I returned the EVGA POS I had and got the Asus today. First off the packaging for the Asus is much better, at least you feel like you are buying a premium part (though it could still be better). With the EVGA, the box looks dull and the packaging is equally dull. Moving on, the ASIC for this one is only 67.1% so a mild improvement from the EVGA I had but it clocks so much better. Not only that, it runs cooler and doesn't have any of the coil whine the EVGA had. At stock volts, its clocking to 1150 stable so far (+180/+200) in 3dmark 11. Going to keep pushing and hope I can do +200/200 on stock volts. 3DMark 11 run: NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3770K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS V FORMULA score: P14539 3DMarks

• Thumbs Up 1

^ I think that's the first negative review I've ever heard of an EVGA card. I like them because they still warranty cards that have been under water as long as you put it back to original before sending it to them.

Hope the ASUS serves you well, my old GTX 280 that is still powering my cousins BF3 rig (ultimate cheapskate) is an Asus, loved that card.. :)

• Founder
^ I think that's the first negative review I've ever heard of an EVGA card. I like them because they still warranty cards that have been under water as long as you put it back to original before sending it to them.

Hope the ASUS serves you well, my old GTX 280 that is still powering my cousins BF3 rig (ultimate cheapskate) is an Asus, loved that card.. :)

I'm sure I just had a crappy EVGA card. Overall EVGA is pretty awesome.

Sooo.. I formatted and reinstalled Windows and did everything as clean as I could and Installed the drivers that came with the Titan in the box and I swear NOW my card is performing like a titan.. Crysis 3 is running perfect on the highest settings, except for one part on a MP map that always nets a drop but that's only in one precise spot and looking in a certain direction.. I'm so happy right now..

Next is a Borderlands 2 run and I'll be back.

Things are better but not perfect.. I still want another Titan but maybe it could have something to do with my motherboard. I have a Gigabyte X79-UP4 and I needed a beta BIOS update just to get my system to post with that card.. I wish I knew cause I'd rather spend the money on a new card rather than a board if I don't need to.

My performance is better though so I guess it's a slight win for me right now..

Averaging around 80fps in MP and never dropping below 60 and around 60 average in SP and the lowest I seen was 40 in the financial district part of level 3. Very High settings and Motion Blur on Med + SMAA X2.

You??

EDIT: oops, always 1080 on single monitor.

• Founder

70% eh i'm jealous, mines 67% not that it makes much difference. Theoretically the higher the ASIC, the less voltage leak + lower temps + less power it consumes so you may be able to get better overclock out of it or at the very least better boost clocks. However, after much reading, I found some with 80%+ ASIC have gotten lousy overclocks. But generally a better ASIC on air should yield better boost at least.

Well since I've been having performance issues here and there I have been trying to find out if it's something fixable. One thing I noticed is that my PCIE reading was 2.0 16x so I used an Nvidia patch to open up my 3.0 but I don't think it made a difference. I guess only Ivy Bridge i7's are really PCIE 3.0, which is funny cause only LGA1155 are 3.0 with Ivy's and my LGA2011 Sandy mobo says it supports 3.0.. But maybe I'm missing something..

When I bought my parts for the new computer I was really surprised to find out the 3900k CPU's were last generation.

I'm going to get that 2nd Titan in my hands before I worry about switching mobo's and leave that as a last resort but something seems fishy in my system right now. Heck I got a drop in fps in Crysis 2 for crying out loud.. Just strange, even though my 3Dmark scores seems right on.

Things were so simple with my SLI'd 680m mobile :P

Well since I've been having performance issues here and there I have been trying to find out if it's something fixable. One thing I noticed is that my PCIE reading was 2.0 16x so I used an Nvidia patch to open up my 3.0 but I don't think it made a difference. I guess only Ivy Bridge i7's are really PCIE 3.0, which is funny cause only LGA1155 are 3.0 with Ivy's and my LGA2011 Sandy mobo says it supports 3.0.. But maybe I'm missing something..

When I bought my parts for the new computer I was really surprised to find out the 3900k CPU's were last generation.

I'm going to get that 2nd Titan in my hands before I worry about switching mobo's and leave that as a last resort but something seems fishy in my system right now. Heck I got a drop in fps in Crysis 2 for crying out loud.. Just strange, even though my 3Dmark scores seems right on.

Things were so simple with my SLI'd 680m mobile :P

Use this executable if you want to enable Gen3 on your X79 board. The gain is minimal, some points more in benchmarks and probably a few FPS more in games.

You won't get PCI Express 3.0 with sandy, you need an ivy cpu. However you won't see any noticeable gains with a single titan.

This is true.

Nvidia GTX Titan SLI or as @Brian says "Damn you Conkers!"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6249[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]6250[/ATTACH]

So there it is, the real successor of the GTX580 chip, how much rumour was out there over the months.

Nvidia broke my resistance, I had to buy at least one card. I managed to get two of those beasts, I know the price is ridiculous but for a triple display setup it's totally worth it.

The cards are working in my Xigmatek case along with the GTX670, which is now dedicated to Physx.

At the time Intel will release Haswell processors, I'll move the cards in a smaller case with an mATX board.

My Xigmatek Elysium case is reserved for another project, which I will show to you at a later date, maybe by the end of this week or next week.

Comparison: Asus MarsII vs Asus GTX Titan vs Asus GTX670 DCII Top

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6251[/ATTACH]

System overview:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6252[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]6253[/ATTACH]

Benchmark results:

[email protected]|GTX Titan SLI@997/1036/1502 (core/boost/memory)

all screenshots viewable on SkyDrive link below

3DMark (2013):

Ice Storm: 174921

Cloud Gate: 37593

Fire Strike: 15669

Fire Strike Extreme: 9056 (9999GPUscore damn :upset:)

3DMark11:

Entry: 26584

Performance: 22121

Extreme: 10498

3DMark Vantage:

Entry: 94976

Performance: 60240

Extreme: 48495

Unigine Heaven:

Extreme: 3350 / 133.0FPS

Unigine Valley:

ExtremeHD: 5061 / 121.0FPS

Full resolution pics and benchmarks: Click here

Hey brother :)

So your bench scores are pretty nice. I got 20k in 3dm11 and I'm still having apparent performances issues and I'm thinking about upgrading my power supply and motherboard and hope for the best.

What are your clock speeds for your Titans and your i7?

I have a Gigabyte X79-UP4 with 3930k at 4.6Ghz, 2 Asus Titan's and 16gb of 1600mhz RAM on Windows 8 Pro + Corsair AX860i PSU. NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3930K Processor,Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X79-UP4 score: P20260 3DMarks

Note: I had to enable Legacy mode on the PCIe to get this Titan to even work and also needed a beta BIOS.. Can't be a good sign, right? My WEI graphics are 8.3.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

• Founder
Hey brother :)

So your bench scores are pretty nice. I got 20k in 3dm11 and I'm still having apparent performances issues and I'm thinking about upgrading my power supply and motherboard and hope for the best.

What are your clock speeds for your Titans and your i7?

I have a Gigabyte X79-UP4 with 3930k at 4.6Ghz, 2 Asus Titan's and 16gb of 1600mhz RAM on Windows 8 Pro + Corsair AX860i PSU. NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3930K Processor,Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X79-UP4 score: P20260 3DMarks

Note: I had to enable Legacy mode on the PCIe to get this Titan to even work and also needed a beta BIOS.. Can't be a good sign, right? My WEI graphics are 8.3.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Use kill-a-watt and see what the system is pulling from the wall. That will let you know if you are hitting a power wall or not but I doubt it. Even under 100% CPU/GPU load you won't pull more than 800 watts and that AX860i can handle that.

Edit: I was right, see here: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_titan_3_way_sli_review,4.html

• Thumbs Up 1

Use kill-a-watt and see what the system is pulling from the wall. That will let you know if you are hitting a power wall or not but I doubt it. Even under 100% CPU/GPU load you won't pull more than 800 watts and that AX860i can handle that.

Edit: I was right, see here: GeForce GTX Titan 3-way SLI and Multi monitor review - Power Consumption

Well from the article it would appear that everything should be just fine which rests my mind a little. First off I just want to make it abundantly clear that I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to PC building. I've been a console gamer for years and then a laptop owner for 3 years so my experience with these details is only recent.

With that said. The guy at the computer store that sold me my 2nd Titan told me that I'll be under-powered with this PSU and that the wattage only tells part of the story. He pulled up the details for the Titan and showed me this: 600 Watt Power Supply (minimum 42 Amps @ 12 volts) and he went on that my PSU can not accommodate 42 Amps x 2..

Do you understand any of what he meant?

Plus, does anyone truly know if this Legacy mode for PCIe really affect my GPUs performances??

• Founder

Yeah I understand alright, he was trying to sell you a more expensive PSU lol! The AX860i has enough power in the 12v rail to handle two Titans.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah I understand alright, he was trying to sell you a more expensive PSU lol! The AX860i has enough power in the 12v rail to handle two Titans.

Well I was able to return the 860i even though I'm way past the 7 day return policy and I got the 1200i but I was able to find what that guy was showing me. Again, this probably makes more sense to you than it does me but here goes:

Voltage +3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5VSB
Power Input 25A 25A 71.6A 0.8A 3.0A
Combined Power 125W 860W 9.6W 15W
Total Power 860W

That's for the 860i PSU. You can see the +12V has 71.6A.

The video card says the requirements are as follows and those stats times 2 cards add up to more than the PSU apparently supports:
  • 600 Watt Power Supply (minimum 42 Amps @ 12 volts)

• Founder

Yeah it doesn't require more than 64-65A for two cards. That 42 amp is an overestimate. I have two titans overclocked runnning on my HX850 with [email protected] GHz and its rock solid. The AX1200 is definitely good for future proofing and expanding so its a good choice. TBH I might go that route myself because I want Corsair's red sleeves and the HX850 isn't fully modular. Don't think I can return it now so I'll probably sell it in the future.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

@TimeLord84 I'm going to have to take back what I said and admit I was a bit wrong. With my SLI setup, it is 100% stable on stock vbios + stock boost but with @svl7 unlocked vbios, when I crank up the voltage + OC, the system shows signs of instabiilty. The +12v line seems to be the culprit so the guy that advised you to get the AX1200i was right in that sense although he was wrong that it couldn't function at stock + boost. I went ahead and ordered the AX1200i from Newegg today, got a nice deal on it since they have 15% off instant coupon right now--total cost was $288 shipped via 2 day (shoprunner ftw).

• Thumbs Up 1

Well from the article it would appear that everything should be just fine which rests my mind a little. First off I just want to make it abundantly clear that I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to PC building. I've been a console gamer for years and then a laptop owner for 3 years so my experience with these details is only recent.

With that said. The guy at the computer store that sold me my 2nd Titan told me that I'll be under-powered with this PSU and that the wattage only tells part of the story. He pulled up the details for the Titan and showed me this: 600 Watt Power Supply (minimum 42 Amps @ 12 volts) and he went on that my PSU can not accommodate 42 Amps x 2..

Do you understand any of what he meant?

Plus, does anyone truly know if this Legacy mode for PCIe really affect my GPUs performances??

That salesman is a dick. The AX860i is a very high quality PSU. That 600W figures is assuming you're running a titan full load and have like 6 HDDs, 6 fans, several CD-ROM drives, a floppy, a ZIP drive, a high power CPU, and you lined your case with christmas lights. Titan has a TDP of 235W. That means 470W for 2 titans alone, then add 250W for a realistic conservative number for the rest of the PC. 720W, not this 1200W BS.

You might have problems if you do a lot of overvolting then run furmark with current limiting disabled, but that's it.

@Brian What makes you thin the 12V rail was an issue? Was the PSU shutting down? When messing around with my 580 in furmark I could drop a 550W PSU down to 11.48V. I thought it may have been hurting my overclock so I got an HX850 which never dropped below 12V, but it made no difference.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
That salesman is a dick. The AX860i is a very high quality PSU. That 600W figures is assuming you're running a titan full load and have like 6 HDDs, 6 fans, several CD-ROM drives, a floppy, a ZIP drive, a high power CPU, and you lined your case with christmas lights. Titan has a TDP of 235W. That means 470W for 2 titans alone, then add 250W for a realistic conservative number for the rest of the PC. 720W, not this 1200W BS.

You might have problems if you do a lot of overvolting then run furmark with current limiting disabled, but that's it.

@Brian What makes you thin the 12V rail was an issue? Was the PSU shutting down? When messing around with my 580 in furmark I could drop a 550W PSU down to 11.48V. I thought it may have been hurting my overclock so I got an HX850 which never dropped below 12V, but it made no difference.

Couple reasons, the system was crashing with a slight overclock + overvolt. Neither card exhibits this behavior when run by themselves so its not a GPU issue. The PSU never shut down but I was getting warnings from the Asus monitoring software (not the most accurate in the world) that the 12v line was dropping to 10. Finally kill-a-watt showed I was pulling 870+W from the wall under load + OC. Also this: http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/printer/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards it states 38A per Titan so that's already putting more than the rated stress on the HX850. Corsair however thinks 2 x Titan + 2 HDD + OC'd 3700K processor is enough for the AX860 (which timelord has): http://www.corsair.com/learn_n_explore/?psu=yes