220 watts AC adapter for MSI GT60/70

omega939

I saw this 220 watts on delta electronics inc. Same manufacturer with the original ac adapters for MSI GT 60/70 series...

180watts

Welcome to Delta Electronics, Inc. - Power Management

220 watts

Welcome to Delta Electronics, Inc. - Power Management

Question.. If i want to upgrade my mobile cpu to Extreme series.. Is the 220 watts sufficient? Because my gpu now is 680M. And is this adapter compatible with the NB? I can see same specs though .. Only there's a slight difference in Output rating.. 12v/15a (180watts) vs 12v/18.3a(220watts) plus the connector is atx for 220watts is there a converter for this one?

Sorry for this noob question... Thanks

I don't know if its a wise idea to upgrade the cpu, The fan or thermals might not have enough juice to cool down the cpu and gpu together since you have a gtx680m in it. I also ever consider this option before

but i think i read somewhere someone was getting like 98 temps on cpu 3840 qm i think i abandon the idea lol.

This adapter question is an interesting one :D

from what I read in other forum, 220watt should be sufficient for you.

And I don't think the adaptor from the link you provide is the right type for msi notebook.

AFAIK the msi laptops use 19v output.

From the same forum, I found some people using a 240Watt Dell adapter for their MSI (the ones with 7970m and extreme processor as well)

I don't understand electricity that much, but from my research, the Dell have 19,5v output.

Is it really working? I don't know. LOL

Maybe @Xonar or other could help :D

any further explanation would be very appreciated :D

I have been considering upgrading my power supply for my GT70 as well. I am a bit concerned though since the MSI notebook uses 19v input and most power supplies are either 18.3v or 19.5v. Has anybody had success in overclocking with either the Dell adapter or the one linked to on Delta Electronics website?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a GT780DXR which I installed a 7970M into. I took a Dell 240w power adaptor 19.5w, 12.3A and changed the cable on it to the correct type of plug for my laptop (5.5 x 2.5 x 11mm). It is working fine. However, I have been reading up and I'm not entirely sure that my laptop can draw over 180w without an EC firmware upgrade (although information on this is sketchy). At least I am not stressing the 180w power supply that I previously had even if I am not able to draw anymore than 180w. I am currently researching the EC firmware requirement.

Regarding the question about voltage, check your laptops voltage and amps, as long as you are within 5% of the voltage (mine is 19v but the new dell power brick is 19.5v) then that is fine and amps is ok as long as its the same or more just not less as amps is what the power supply CAN provide but will only provide it if it is drawn by the laptop.

Just to be clear I followed other forummers on this mod, it is not my work but the work of others that I followed and am just passing the info on.

@grim

sorry for this noob question but where to chk voltage and amps on a laptop? Or check the label of the ac adapter.. the specs on it?....

woule you mind showing the link's on that Dell 240watts adapter and how you mod the cable? Showing some pics is very helpful though......

Btw...

regarding what you said if 180watts is sufficient or not when it comes to power draw, i think my laptop draws more if you are ocin'g a gtx680m(with modded vbios and modded ec firmware) plus if you have an unlock bios which you can play the fsb of the cpu. Before my gpu upgrade, my nb uses gtx670m . I can oc both gpu and cpu using 106fsb thru bios. But now i can only oc the gpu and leave the fsb to its default speed to 100fsb only. If i oc the cpu to at least 101fsb and then i play demanding gpu games (dx11). After several minutes, the games freezes or blank screen resorting to force shutdown then restart and all is well again lol

What is the exact model of your dell ac adapter?

is this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dell-Alienware-Precision-m6600-240-Watt-M17X-M18X-AC-DC-Adapter-330-4342-/150939164284?pt=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item2324acde7c

or this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-Dell-Alienware-M17x-Precision-M6400-M6500-240-Watt-AC-Adapter-Y044M-/170712368819?pt=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item27bf4006b3

post-8222-14494994177843_thumb.jpg

You should find the specifications of your original power adaptor on the body, it will state voltage and amps. Volts x Amps = Watts. Make sure the adaptor you select is within 5% of the originals voltage and the amps will need to be higher if you are looking to provide more than 180W. I do not know if your model MSI uses the same original power adaptor as mine but mine was a Delta 19v, 9.5A 180W.

I bought the 240w Dell Slim adaptor pictured direct from Dell UK (you can see the model number in the photo, they are quite easy to find on ebay and other resellers as well as Dell Direct). You can either purchase a cable with the same type of adaptor plug used on your laptop (mine was 5.5 x 2.5 x 11mm again it can be found on ebay and other laptop service centres), I am not sure yours is the same but it should be very similar as I think most G series laptops use the same connection but better check as I don't know this for sure or you can take the cable out of your original adaptor or from a direct replacement adaptor. (I had a spare 180w Li Shin altready so I took the cable from that).

You remove the 4 torx screws from the adaptor brick and open it up, then carefully unsolder the wires from the board (the Dell has a third wire for the LED on the end of the cable), remove all 3 noting where the black and white wires go (ignore the LED cable once removed as you don't use it with your new cable), then resolder on your new cable (black and white to the noted positions). Test the cable by either buzzing it out with a meter and/or running a small dc device on it (case fan) and then close it back up and our good to go.

Regarding the EC firmware, by the sounds of it you already have the modded EC firmware provided by MSI for your model which allows more than 180w power draw, is that correct?

post-8222-14494994177521_thumb.jpg

the EC firmware by the sounds of it you already have the modded EC firmware provided by MSI for your model which allows more than 180w power draw, is that correct?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

yes i have the modded ec firmware which give boost a lot while benchmarking. is there a forum on how to mod a del 240watts for msi gt60/70 laptops? can post the link? thanks

You can either purchase a cable with the same type of adaptor plug used on your laptop (mine was 5.5 x 2.5 x 11mm again it can be found on ebay and other laptop service centres), I am not sure yours is the same but it should be very similar as I think most G series laptops use the same connection but better check as I don't know this for sure or you can take the cable out of your original adaptor or from a direct replacement adaptor

noob question again bro... can show me the link to this cable you where telling me? tnx

No I do not know of a forum with instructions on how to mod it, I just picked up snippets of information spread accross another well known notebook forum similar to this one while doing a lot of searching.

My laptop is a GT780, I don't know whether your adaptor plug is the same or not but once you confirm your plug type and voltage, my instructions above will be the same as its only 3 wires you need to desolder from the dell then solder in the 2 from your new wire.

If you post a new question asking for advice on the GT60/70 power adaptor plug I'm sure some of the more knowledged guys here can help you out with it, or you could alternatively measure the plug end, they are measured like - O.D x I.D x Length, so mine being 5.5 x 2.5 x 11mm means that 5.5mm is the outside diameter of the plug, 2.5mm is the inside diameter and 11mm is the length. Mine is centre positive yours will probably be the same but again can't be sure as I have not worked with your type.

If you don't have any experience soldering or working with electronic components you could get a laptop repair/service centre to carryout the solder job for you. If you take it on yourself make sure you have a nice clean work area with a ESD mat and take all the usual precautions when working with electricity and electrical equipment. You can practice soldering with some wire and a blank circuit board which are easy to pick of for a couple of pounds from an electrical component reseller.

My laptop is a GT780,

I think our laptop is the same GT series . The only thing i see here is that my nb uses optimus. I dont know if your nb uses optimus too. but i think that msi uses the same plug end.

I see the output of my ac adapter. Manufacturer is delta electronics with model adp-180hb. Power output is 19v == 9.5A so output base is 180.5 watts. Does your original ac adapter have the same 19v?

Yes mine is the same model original adaptor as yours see picture:

post-8222-14494994178203_thumb.jpg

Having searched for a replacement adaptor for your model GT60/70 I found the below adaptor lists both of our models as compatible which implies that our laptops use the same adaptor plug (along with loads of other GT series laptop):

180W Laptop AC Power Adapter for MSI GT60 0NC GT683DX GT683DXR GT685 GT685R GT70 0NC GT780 GT780D GT780DX GT780DXR GT783 GT783R Notebooks

My laptop is GT780DX with i7-2670QM and GTX 570M oc to 780 1560 1700.Most cases 180w is enough except running program requiring both heavy use of CPU and GPU like Far Cry 3.I have a meter in plug showing power use, when I play Far Cry 3,the meter shows that the use of power often goes above 180w(the highest is above 200w),then the CPU drop frequency together with GPU's,which is really annoying.So I have to change adapter to solve this problem.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Omega

I never bought the cable with the plug on its own as I had a spare 180w Li Shin adaptor so I just used the cable off of that but searching ebay you can find results like this:

New DC Power Plug Tip 5.5 x 2.5mm with cable for Laptop Jack Connector Socket | eBay

That one states a 12mm shaft length but I'm sure if you search further you should be able to find the 1mm shaft length or alternatively contact one of the sellers and ask if they can supply exactly what you are after.

SilentMarket

I didn't experience as high a power draw when I had the 570M installed, make sure you don't have USB hard drives or other USB devices hooked up when gaming as they will take a couple of watts each. Also the reading from your kill-a-watt needs to be mlutiplied by 0.85 to allow for the approximate 85% efficiency of the power adaptor so when it reads 200w the laptop is actually only pulling around 170w.

I'm still trying to find out if we need a modified EC to allow the laptop to pull more than 180w as from what I'm reading it will not even if you have a larger power unit or not, it will just throttle at 180w.

Hmmm that makes me think... Btw do you know how to modify an ec? I,ll find one or i can give you the person who modifies one.... Btw. The link you gave me on dc power plug is almost the same plug you have right? Only the cable is 0.1mm longer. So its good to solder it on a dell 240 watts?

update ...

I have talked with someone expert in bios modding... he said and quote

not sure about this, bios states 90W for AC Brick Capacity. dunno if this is real or not

So it is with the bios and not in ec firmware....

--

@Grim

one member from another website said this.

You're making a large number of gross assumptions in order to even consider this...

Just because you can get another adapter (and for that matter, one with the correct adapter to plug into the notebook), doesn't mean the following:

1. That the adapter itself can handle more current.

2. That the traces on the motherboard and everything else can handle providing more current.

3. That the components for voltage regulation can handle the extra draw.

4. That the cooling system can handle the extra cooling.

Being an electrical engineer, I really see the first 3 problems prohibiting the extra power from showing any benefit. As far as the cooling system, it's good, but it won't handle much more power.

is this true?

Nah, the BIOS option of 60W, 90W, 120W is generic and has no impact on the actual power supply of the brick. It was narrowed down to two possible scenarios: it's controlled by the EC or something hardware wise (updated on a later motherboard revision for support when they added the 180W brick for the 570M/580M).

IIRC, 180W is the "max possible", but a 180W Delta adapter can supply up to 200W easily (180W is just a typical rating, Delta makes quality PSUs), so I see no problem. I've been using my 150W Delta with a 2920XM & 6990M and haven't run into any problems.