Can We upgrade G73SW GPU?

andrewff2

Which one is that? All files have same name. i recieved 3 in total.

Sry its getting late here my head is not so clear :(

I understand you mean nvflash version. Dont know what I had first but afer first error downloaded version you mentioned but still same.

LOL. We are one step closer. IT LOADS WINDOWS!!! But displays still only via VGA output.

It installed driver even i had cleaned driver before I began with gpu exchange. But wouldnt install nvidia control panel that is older version I had on hdd. I havent connected wireless becouse all this testing. I will post picture of gpuz screenshot now.

post-5713-14494994996853_thumb.gif

question- I keep reading about people uninstalling the last video card driver before the change to the new card. I haven't done that yet either. is it worth it? so far I can post to dos via usb. I wouldn't think that would have any effect on the vbios but is a higher level that interacts with whatever vbios is programmed. what do you think?

Driver uninstall is almost necessary as you installed new hardware. But in your case you cant logon to windows desktop or what? You speak a bit confusing to me. Does your internal screen show picture or you are using vga cable and external monitor as me?

with the new (msi 670m 1.5Gb ram version) video card I can boot to the bios screen seeing text on the internal lcd screen. If I use a dos bootable usb stick, then I can boot into dos. during POST I get a message saying that my vga bios is an engineering bios (not production). lol. then I get the invalid mxm error, and a 30 second delay. after the delay times out I end up in the bios screen. svl7 said he'll be kind enough to send me a new vbios (I think). I have made a backup of the vbios of the new card. it sounds like I should plug the old card back in and uninstall the old NVidia drivers. any other recommendations are greatly appreciated. I am staring at this laptop with the new video card and drooling at it but there it sits, staring back at me. :o I do think this will work tho, just needs some more tweaking. I am holding off on finishing off the heatsink mod beyond just cooling the gpu until I can actually load windows, but I dream....

foo! I didn't get the email. weird. glad you posted so I know. my current vbios says: GF114 P1314 SKU 6 VGA Bios Version 70.24.44.00.00. it says 'engineering relese - not for production use. build date:11/22/11, revision date 11/22.11 © 1996-2011 Nvidia.

I have pics of both the vbios and eeprom info (128kb, 640x480 res in *.jpeg) but the uploader doesn't seem to like them.

(I've been checking the forums and my email like a kid at Christmas...)

Thats positive that your internal screen work. You have 3d version g73sw? I suspect that maybe my internal screen does not show becouse its 120hz 3d screen. I ordered non 3d screen connector they have same motherboard connector but lvds connector is 40 for non and 50 pin for 3d version. And I have 60hz 17.3 spare screen to test on it. I will also desolder sbios chip to so we can tweak and flash experimental bios.

Also svl7 is exact guy you need help from for this kind problems :)

Hey jmhdj, I agree svl7 is awesome. I have the 2d version of the screen. im actually on the 1920x1080 FHD(WUXGA). I'm having trouble uploading pics, but its the same connector as the prior model (lower res 1600x900). mine was the g73sw-bst6 which came with the lower res 2d screen, so I upgraded to the full HD res screen with no problems, which is still 2d. So far the internal lcd is working fine with the new card so it may have something to do with you running the 3d version.

Updates.

I managed to install video driver. Couple gpuz screenshots under. Looks like fan is readed corectly as it ramps up under load. Only thing is core not going over 150mhz but I am tired for more investigation today.

post-5713-14494994997535_thumb.gif

post-5713-14494994997143_thumb.gif