Poll: Should i cancel my m17x-R3 order and wait for the m18x ?

Michael

Should I cancel the M17x-R3 and wait for M18x ?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should I cancel the M17x-R3 and wait for M18x ?

• Yeah, cancel!
    • Forget that overpriced brick, stick with the M17x-R3!

Well base m17 r3 was roughly 1500 so base of 1800 or so sounds reasonable and 250 a piece for 6970s 2400 with 1080p screen. The base m17 wasn't 1080p.

In anycase I think 2500 for 2720qm 4 gb ram, 1080p isn't too far of a stretch. Prob on the high side actually

Personally I love the design of the r3. Looks far better in my opinion than the r2/r1/18x. I like the aluminum a lot, but the plastic handle thing at the bottom looks a lil weird. I wish the r3 wasn't plastic, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices for weight.

If you are deadset on having the best, get the m18x, just know ivy bridge will give it a swift kick in the ass, and you'll be wanting something new then.

Or, like you said, be adult and get m17x r3, and maybe suffer a lil cognitive dissonance that you don't have the best, but you made the more reasonable choice

Personally I love the design of the r3. Looks far better in my opinion than the r2/r1/18x. I like the aluminum a lot, but the plastic handle thing at the bottom looks a lil weird. I wish the r3 wasn't plastic, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices for weight.

If you are deadset on having the best, get the m18x, just know ivy bridge will give it a swift kick in the ass, and you'll be wanting something new then.

Or, like you said, be adult and get m17x r3, and maybe suffer a lil cognitive dissonance that you don't have the best, but you made the more reasonable choice

Reasonable choice if there wont be major gaming and will be more for office use... I have to admit R3 is sleeker than the R2 or M18x.

• Founder

Reasonable choice if there wont be major gaming and will be more for office use... I have to admit R3 is sleeker than the R2 or M18x.

To me the M18x is the best looking AW laptop made so far. The R3 is obviously almost as nice since they have similar designs but construction quality difference between the two will be huge. Bottom line is they address two very different markets. The R3 is for people that want a semi portable gaming laptop and the M18x is for full on performance enthusiasts that demand the absolute best in everything. For me neither is really the ideal fit, the M14x fits that perfectly so once I review the M18x, it's going up for sale most likely.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hay brian, just for info sake how much shipped did your r3 come too?

I'm thinking when It comes time to order 18xs maybe if we all go through the same rep we can convince him of a group buy price?

Anyone have any experience with Dell on this? Would be nice if out collective buying power could work for us.

Edited by e46justice
  • Thumbs Up 1

To me the M18x is the best looking AW laptop made so far. The R3 is obviously almost as nice since they have similar designs but construction quality difference between the two will be huge. Bottom line is they address two very different markets. The R3 is for people that want a semi portable gaming laptop and the M18x is for full on performance enthusiasts that demand the absolute best in everything. For me neither is really the ideal fit, the M14x fits that perfectly so once I review the M18x, it's going up for sale most likely.

after thinking *logically* through the initial *emotional* enthusiasm, i tend to agree. in reality the M17x R3 already pushes the envelope of portability & performance in a notebook. the M18x is an entirely different system altogether, aimed for an entirely different market segment who doesn't mind being tethered all that much, for the ultimate experience in desktop replacements. the consumer segment and model usage is in general much different, and should not be confused... ;)

in the end, i'm going to have to consider usage (again, for like the umpteenth time... maybe should more properly refer to it as 'justification' instead, and get some practice in for the girlfriend, lol!~ :P) before resolving this decision - and even then it will probably be only a year or so later before reconsidering, lol!~ :D

Hi vkingrinn, I read your post here and in the other forums and I have to say You make a lot of sense, but also we are talking about Alienware. and alienware owners are a different bread.

As you probably know, if you wanted just a capable machine I bet you many people will be just as happy to have on of those Asus Gaming republic that cost half the price of the Alienware and come with almost identical configuration, or the ones that fancy themselves as connoisseurs might choose one of those useless piece of overprice crappola with the vaio sticker.

Alienware owners are just not that type, they are more demanding and they like to research, discuss and customize their machines extensible. You are correct pointing out that the m17x-R3 is already pushing the envelope, but you also gotta remember than is not everyday that Alienware releases a new line, and in this case starting to look like 2 the 14 and the 18.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi vkingrinn, I read your post here and in the other forums and I have to say You make a lot of sense, but also we are talking about Alienware. and alienware owners are a different bread.

As you probably know, if you wanted just a capable machine I bet you many people will be just as happy to have on of those Asus Gaming republic that cost half the price of the Alienware and come with almost identical configuration, or the ones that fancy themselves as connoisseurs might choose one of those useless piece of overprice crappola with the vaio sticker.

Alienware owners are just not that type, they are more demanding and they like to research, discuss and customize their machines extensible. You are correct pointing out that the m17x-R3 is already pushing the envelope, but you also gotta remember than is not everyday that Alienware releases a new line, and in this case starting to look like 2 the 14 and the 18.

I second that. Alienware Fan Boy here.

I second that. Alienware Fan Boy here.

lol, make no mistake - recall persuading my brother into his first m17 a few years back (and now all family/friends are owners!~ :P), and have been an alienware fan for years!~ :D more rather the point was/is to at least take usage into account when considering the right *alienware* ;) to fit ones needs (especially if it will be their sole/primary system), despite the very nature/tendency of the typical enthusiast/alienware customer to want the very 'biggest/baddest/bestest' regardless (such as myself even), lol!~ :P

Edited by vikingrinn
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm thinking when It comes time to order 18xs maybe if we all go through the same rep we can convince him of a group buy price?

Anyone have any experience with Dell on this? Would be nice if out collective buying power could work for us.

I have a Canada only rep that has offered everyone that I forward to him for an 18x a base price of US equivalent. What you haggle from there is up to you. I'm not sure how many Canadians are here, but let me know if interested. I replied to this post because he also mentioned he would be less scrutinized for giving overly large discounts if he were to make bulk sales.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Hay brian, just for info sake how much shipped did your r3 come too?

I paid $2047 with a razer orochi mouse for mine. After paypal raped me of fees, I got $1840 on the R3 after selling it so I lost a bit of money there. No big deal, I'll sell the orochi off and recover at least $45 back so $160 lost for a month old notebook isn't too bad. I finished all the benchmarks and photos for it for the review so in the next few days I'll be putting all that together and then pushing the review out.

Wow those pay-pal fees are really a crime, but at least you be able to get the avenger. I don't know, the m18x is taking so long to come out i am second guessing, now i am inclining to keep my 3D monster which would have the same components minus the screen and keyboard.

Also Something we haven't factored is how long are they gonna take to put the m18x in production, is one thing to announce a new line and other to actually put in production, I am getting a big headache.

I have a Canada only rep that has offered everyone that I forward to him for an 18x a base price of US equivalent. What you haggle from there is up to you. I'm not sure how many Canadians are here, but let me know if interested. I replied to this post because he also mentioned he would be less scrutinized for giving overly large discounts if he were to make bulk sales.

I'm in, depending on the base price. Let me know.

Running IGP on M18x is equivalent to sacrilege. Seriously. :P

I'll pass on M18x, but I'll try to either exchange my broken M11x and/or pay extra for M14x which I'll most likely sell afterwards. I don't think it can even hold candle to M17x. :)

It's going to go on sale in 4 days from now. If you want the baddest notebook ever made, cancel the R3 and get the M18x.

have (obviously) been entertaining it, but considered "sacrilege" by some or not, lol :P - if the system has no access to igp then there'll be no choice other than the M17x R3 for best performance w/portability...

also, leaked configs thus far only showing the GTX 460M as single gpu option for the M18x?!?! :rolleyes: (insert original '80s MTV ads here: i want my amd!~ :D)

Edited by vikingrinn

• Founder

have (obviously) been entertaining it, but considered "sacrilege" by some or not, lol :P - if the system has no access to igp then there'll be no choice other than the M17x R3 for best performance w/portability...

also, leaked configs thus far only showing the GTX 460M as single gpu option for the M18x?!?! :rolleyes: (insert original '80s MTV ads here: i want my amd!~ :D)

we gonna get single and dual configurations of

460m

485m

but they might not all be available on Tuesday when it launches

• Thumbs Up 1

we gonna get single and dual configurations of

460m

485m

but they might not all be available on Tuesday when it launches

well in addition to the igp, let's hope the HD 6970M is one of the single gpu options at launch so the decision is that much easier... ;)

• Founder
well in addition to the igp, let's hope the HD 6970M is one of the single gpu options at launch so the decision is that much easier... ;)

But why would you want an M18x with single GPU? Might as well grab an R3.

But why would you want an M18x with single GPU? Might as well grab an R3.

lol, this.

if the M17x R3 had options for the XM, X-Fi, and aluminum (for added durability, or perhaps even custom paint later if so choose - maybe inaps approach will suffice for this), don't think there'd even be a question... with size/weight difference factored in, and the possibility of no igp on the avenger, don't know if it really is a real question atm anywho, lol :P

seriously just cherry picking between the two atm, and having a 'kid in me' moment like one of those old tv

, lol!~ :D probably the same things others have tossed around in their heads while in delivery (ship delay) limbo, before the final 'final answer' as to ultimately which way to go for the next couple years... or semesters at least! :P Edited by vikingrinn

• Founder

If you're a college student that plans to take the notebook to class, get the M14x. Both R3 and M18x will be oversized. But as far as audio, the R3 has waves maxx support (as I mentioned over PM). Dunno why Dell doesn't advertise it. That sounblaster x-fi shit is just software.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you're a college student that plans to take the notebook to class, get the M14x. Both R3 and M18x will be oversized. But as far as audio, the R3 has waves maxx support (as I mentioned over PM). Dunno why Dell doesn't advertise it. That sounblaster x-fi shit is just software.

ok, it seems that "SoundBlaster X-Fi Audio (Optional)" is ndeed just software, and they're slacking on the site info again with the "WavesMAXX Audio (Standard)" not being listed... we know the 2920XM is supported, so over time it should become available in the M17x R3 if the 2820QM runs out of (highly unlikely) steam... case should be fine, so only thing left different between the two (besides dual gpu's) then is added size/weight which would just hinder its intended usage, so...

if the thing (M17x R3) would simply get here already (delayed/revised delivery), wouldn't even be considering anything else lol :P they're not even the same segment, really... usage, usage, UsAgE!~ :sigh: too many other things need to get focused/organized before finals - it's going to be fun loading up those ssd's in everyone's machines when they do FiNaLlY get here... :rolleyes::P:D

Edited by vikingrinn

• Founder

They may have the same CPUs but that's where the similarity ends:

M18x: Subwoofer, HDMI 1.4, more display ports, express card slot, aluminum shell, dual graphics, bigger display, 32gb memory support (we don't know if R3 can handle 32 gb), factory extreme cpu overclocking, likely better cooling, 330w PSU

M17x-R3: 3D panel, plastic/rubber construction, IGP support, single GPU.

Pretty big difference between the two systems IMO. The R3 is meant to compete against Asus/MSI while the M18x is in a category of it's own, it's nearest competitor is the X7200 but that thing looks like a bloated piece of shit next to an M18x.

• Thumbs Up 1

They may have the same CPUs but that's where the similarity ends:

M18x: Subwoofer, HDMI 1.4, more display ports, express card slot, aluminum shell, dual graphics, bigger display, 32gb memory support (we don't know if R3 can handle 32 gb), factory extreme cpu overclocking, likely better cooling, 330w PSU

M17x-R3: 3D panel, plastic/rubber construction, IGP support, single GPU.

Pretty big difference between the two systems IMO. The R3 is meant to compete against Asus/MSI while the M18x is in a category of it's own, it's nearest competitor is the X7200 but that thing looks like a bloated piece of shit next to an M18x.

and don't forget the NX90... :facepalm:

aside from HDMI 1.4 being little more than gimmick, both have pros and cons and are ndeed somewhat different machines - although don't they fundamentally share the same bios? guess we'll have to wait for definitive answer on this until after the first units hit reviewers hands (aka you, brian!~ :P) then!~ :D

• Thumbs Up 1