[M17x R2] with AMD 7970M CrossfireX

99W should be enough, I think even 90 might fine. You can test it yourself, e.g. run a 32M wPrime 1.55 test on 8 threads, and watch the multi in Throttlestop. If it sustains the set value then it's ok.

Well, benching and gaming are different worlds. 27x can work for vantage with a 940xm, especially when the additional voltage in the bios is set. But for gaming it won't work, as Stamatis says... it will overheat.

• Founder

It will work for you if done correctly. Make sure you message imsolidstate if you have issues. If you used the 240W supply's EPROM then it is just a matter of correctly soldering the DS2502 to the 330W supply and properly grounding it. It is a pretty straighforward mod. Cutting the wire like you did isn't enough.

• Founder
test psu 330W 1 7970 no fonctional

I think the method you're doing you have to connect the signal wire from the 240W to the 330W, plug both supplies in and then boot using the 330W and it'll think it's a 240W. But personally I think you should do the mod with the DS2502 transplanted on the 330W since it is permanent and has no exposed wires and doesn't need dual PSU.

I have cut the green wire (ID wire) with my M18x PSU (330W) but now my GPUs never reach 3D clocks - it works fine with the 240W PSU but I'm lacking of power due to the 940XM requiring over 80W to sustain 3,5ghz.

The PSU is definitely fine, but for some reasons refuse to work correctly in my m17xr2...

Any ideas guys ?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...