Jump to content

P770DM-G 980M Won't Boot


BasedKnight

Recommended Posts

I recently purchased a replacement 980M (Clevo model) for my P770DM-G after the original died, however, after installing the card the laptop doesn't boot. I only get a black screen, and after a couple minutes the fans spin to max before shutting down, which is the same thing that happens when I try to boot it without any gpu at all. I've tried the reset procedure, unplugging, removing battery, and removing CMOS, to no avail. It does beep before shutting down (I counted 22 times exactly). Anyone have any insight as to what the problem is?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Bios Modder
9 hours ago, BasedKnight said:

I recently purchased a replacement 980M (Clevo model) for my P770DM-G after the original died, however, after installing the card the laptop doesn't boot. I only get a black screen, and after a couple minutes the fans spin to max before shutting down, which is the same thing that happens when I try to boot it without any gpu at all. I've tried the reset procedure, unplugging, removing battery, and removing CMOS, to no avail. It does beep before shutting down (I counted 22 times exactly). Anyone have any insight as to what the problem is?

Hi!

I think in your case it's a hardware problem. I think when your previous graphic card was died, then at the same time some element on the motherboard died at the same time, maybe some kind of power element to the graphic card.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The motherboard should be ok. I since managed to get the laptop to boot to Windows but there is no video. I've been attempting to blind flash a stock 980M vBIOS using these instructions, 

, but with no luck. It fails everytime. Since I have no video, I enabled logging through nvflash and the error I get everytime in the log file is 'no nvidia display adapter detected'. I also get 2 beeps after Step 9, but according to the instructions it should only beep once when the flash is successful. It seems that the card and the laptop itself are both working there is just some incompatibility some where.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Bios Modder
10 minutes ago, BasedKnight said:

The motherboard should be ok. I since managed to get the laptop to boot to Windows but there is no video. I've been attempting to blind flash a stock 980M vBIOS using these instructions, 

, but with no luck. It fails everytime. Since I have no video, I enabled logging through nvflash and the error I get everytime in the log file is 'no nvidia display adapter detected'. I also get 2 beeps after Step 9, but according to the instructions it should only beep once when the flash is successful. It seems that the card and the laptop itself are both working there is just some incompatibility some where.

 

The motherboard itself is working, yes, but I mean that maybe some element on the motherboard is faulty, which giving the supply voltage only to the graphics card. Perhaps that’s why the new video card is not detected by the system, because it does not receive the necessary supply voltage.

Edited by Klem
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suppose that is possible. The original card died due to MOSFET failure. One failed, so I removed it and the card ran on the remaining 2 for awhile (just had to reduce the clocks to avoid black screens when running demanding games), then the remaining ones eventually burned out. I was sure it was something up with the vBIOS since I purchased the replacement from China, but I guess there is no way to know for sure if it's board related until I'm able to test another 980M.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator
On 12/3/2019 at 9:18 AM, BasedKnight said:

I suppose that is possible. The original card died due to MOSFET failure. One failed, so I removed it and the card ran on the remaining 2 for awhile (just had to reduce the clocks to avoid black screens when running demanding games), then the remaining ones eventually burned out. I was sure it was something up with the vBIOS since I purchased the replacement from China, but I guess there is no way to know for sure if it's board related until I'm able to test another 980M.

Are you able to see the VBIOS version in the nvflash log? You might need to flash another VBIOS in order to get the card working in your system. If so you'll probably need to either use a SPI clip and a programmer to do a in circuit programming or desolder the VBIOS SPI flash chip and program it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, BAKED said:

Are you able to see the VBIOS version in the nvflash log? You might need to flash another VBIOS in order to get the card working in your system. If so you'll probably need to either use a SPI clip and a programmer to do a in circuit programming or desolder the VBIOS SPI flash chip and program it.

 

Not sure because every command I ran through nvflash would return a 'No Nvidia display adapters error' when checking the log file generated using a different computer. Every version. Even when just trying to backup the current VBIOS. Pretty much attempted everything I could considering having to work completely blind, and unfortunately don't have access to a programmer. I've since settled on the card just being defective and have sent it back (ordered from eBay shop in China). Will probably try my luck again this time from a different source.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
4 minutes ago, BasedKnight said:

 

Not sure because every command I ran through nvflash would return a 'No Nvidia display adapters error' when checking the log file generated using a different computer. Every version. Even when just trying to backup the current VBIOS. Pretty much attempted everything I could considering having to work completely blind, and unfortunately don't have access to a programmer. I've since settled on the card just being defective and have sent it back (ordered from eBay shop in China). Will probably try my luck again this time from a different source.

Yeah stuff like that from China do tend to be defective sometimes, my guess is that they don't always test the parts before selling it in order to cut costs. Hope it gets sorted out for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hello,

 

I have the same problem. I have a XMG u706. My GPU GTX 970m 6gb GDDR5 died. I try a GTX 980m and my Laptop won't boot. I try without a GPU and I get some Beeptones.
I have a programmer , can I flash the GTX 980m with a clevo or a Vbios and can it work?

 

Sorry for my english , I'm from Germany.

 

Thanks and greetings

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it's a Dell card it probably has a Dell vbios. You can try flashing a Clevo vbios if you have a programmer, but I have heard that Dell cards can have compatibility issues with Clevo's. When I had this problem I wasn't able to flash because I don't have a programmer. In order to a get everything working I had to get a Clevo gpu because no other cards would work in my machine. I could boot but would just get a black screen and video output.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay,

 

I have a Programmer and I can try to flash a vbios from Clevo on this card. 
 

Maybe the System Bios don‘t work with the GTX980m? 
 

I try a cmos reset but it won‘t work. 

Why I can‘t boot without a gpu my CPU I7 6700 have an integrated GPU-Chip.

 

Can a mod activated the integrated CPU? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If your laptop originally came with a 970M it should also work with a 980M. They are basically the same cards, the 980M just draws more power (and better performance of course). A stronger PSU may be needed (I have 230W) but should still boot and work normally when not under load. The integrated graphics on these machines were disabled, so you need a dedicated gpu installed, otherwise you get no display and the BIOS/EC will just shut the system down after a few moments. There is no way to enable the integrated graphics unfortunately. I think the problem is the card you have is a Dell version, but you may be able to get it working if you do a vbios flash.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...
On 12/2/2019 at 11:38 PM, BasedKnight said:

I recently purchased a replacement 980M (Clevo model) for my P770DM-G after the original died, however, after installing the card the laptop doesn't boot. I only get a black screen, and after a couple minutes the fans spin to max before shutting down, which is the same thing that happens when I try to boot it without any gpu at all. I've tried the reset procedure, unplugging, removing battery, and removing CMOS, to no avail. It does beep before shutting down (I counted 22 times exactly). Anyone have any insight as to what the problem is?

 

Hi. I have the same problem with an Clevo P771DM-G... 22 beeps and shutdown and i don't know what he have. Is stopped working few days ago. I wonder if is video card (GTX 970M) broken? Here is video i made to see this problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iREJw8o9jfg

 

Thank you!

Edited by iceblue
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi!

You will have too remove bios chip from card ,flash with other version compatible ,and solder it again on card...
or else the flash wont go truth , i tested several methods without de-solder the v-bios chip and none work

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is not better to replace broken video card with a new one? To remove bios chip is not an easy job.

 

P.S. With an BIOS USB Programmer CH341A + SOIC8 Clip no need to remove bios chip from card. Found on internet this information.

 

P.S.2 I have Prema mod on this laptop. Working fine 5 years and now died from no reason. 

Edited by iceblue
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
On 11/14/2022 at 7:12 AM, iceblue said:

 

P.S.2 I have Prema mod on this laptop. Working fine 5 years and now died from no reason. 

I heard stories that Prema does not provide modded BIOS's anymore after someone took credit for his work, but how did it use to work? Was it available for free or did people pay him for it?
If it was available for free, any chance you still have the prema mod files? I'd like to mod my P771DM-G.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
On 12/19/2023 at 5:41 PM, BennyBlue said:

I heard stories that Prema does not provide modded BIOS's anymore after someone took credit for his work, but how did it use to work? Was it available for free or did people pay him for it?
If it was available for free, any chance you still have the prema mod files? I'd like to mod my P771DM-G.

 

PM me....i can't send you pm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.