Building a new desktop for a bioinformatics experiment

Hello all,

So, I want to build a desktop with the tremendous amounts of computational performance for my lab.

Do you know where I can find motherboards that will support more than 2 processors with LGA2011 sockets? (namely this processor: Xeon E5-2687W)

Thanks!

Edited by raymosrunerx

widezu69: I need 2+ haha

Brian: They don't exist period. The processor that uses the LGA2011 socket can only work with one other processor, it cannot work with more than one other of the same type.

StamatisX: They do, but this stuff isn't the high profile stuff (Tesla Bio Workbench)

Basically, going to buy a Dell PowerEdge R910, probably buy it with 2Tb of RAM and use all the processor sockets, haven't decided what processor to outfit it with yet... We have a rack already with the older PowerEdge R900, but it's a piece of shit.

What also surprises me is that all these softwares are moving away from cluster-computing development to just a single server. I'm really hoping we can get some of the tools we used to operate on CUDA cores. Then I can tell my research professor to get tons of graphics cards (and I can stay late nights and game :3)

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh oops! My mistake I didn't read the "+" bit. Shame they don't have any CUDA based software for your purposes. Imagine getting and SR-X with two 8-core 16 threaded Xeons and Fold 4 TESLA GPUs together :eek:

You can run a quad socket AMD opteron board with 16 core CPUs if your application multithreads that much (64 threads!!!!).

~$5k in a lowish power envelope (500-600w), could be worth thinking about. It won't have the same low thread performance as the intels and maybe there are reasons you're not thinking of this route, just thought I'd mention it. ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

widezu: I can only dream, I really don't have the time to tamper with existing software even though the source codes are public. I figured at one point, someone's gonna take it and integrate it with OpenCL

Jimbo: That's another route that one of the PowerEdges offered, I'm still weighing out the benefits of each

mw86: I mostly operate on two machines, although I have access to 7... One of the machines is a cluster from a supercomputer with 120 threads and ~450gb of RAM. The second one belongs to the medical center I work at which has 160 threads and ~256gb of RAM