Fight against dell over 3000 dollars m18x, help me out please.

Hello, after a lot of research over which laptop i should buy for college, i picked the m18x from alienware, its outstanding design and great performance wouldnt make me get away from it. The, i got it right before christhmas, working just fine with its i7-2.2ghz, dual 580ms, 4gb of ram and 500gb hard drive.

After 2 great month playing mw3, skyrim on ultra, the problems started, my laptoop wouldnt boot up with sli turned on, but it would work with sli off, after trying new drivers and reinstalling windows i gave up and called dell. I had very good attendment from them and they told me a technician would come and swap motherboard+both video cards for refurbished ones, and so they did.

The technichian came to my house, did all he was supposed to do and when we boot it up, BAM, one of the video cards shows "code 43", we tried everything to fix it, the technician called dell for support but nothing worked until he gave up and told me to call dell.

I did call dell yesterday and the told me they will send again, another technichian to swap video cards and motherboard... right now my expectations are very low with those new refurbished parts comming, and i would like to ask which would be the most effective way on getting a reffund out of my laptop if this technician fails too, which i think he will... i dont want to send my laptop to dell based on the feedback i had from othe alienware users...

please help me, im really looking over a reffund now and i know that dell has 3 chances to try to fix it until i can ask for this reffund, i would just like to know how it works with more details, who i call etc... thank you

a refund is never guaranteed, mosy likely after multiple failed attempts they will gave you a replacement system normally with some upgrades. just be patient, i know its frustrating having a none operating 3k lappy but they are trying to fix it, so let them do their thing.

Edited by iloveb00bs

• Founder

Well, by law Dell has 3 times to try and fix a given problem. After 3 unsuccessful tries you are entitled for a replacement (or maybe even money back).

So my advise to you,unfortunately, is to let them do their thing two more times :)

BTW, are you in the states ? (sounds like you're Brazilian)

• Founder

Getting a refund is very difficult now. The best option you have is to let them work on it and if it still fails, ask for a replacement. However, there is no guarantee you will receive a brand new factory replacement since they have started issuing refurbs instead.

• Founder
I do am brazilian but i live in the usa as a exchange student

thanks for the replys, i appreciate them, ill update this thread as soon as the other technichian does his thing again.

boa sorte! :)

• Thumbs Up 1

goodluck and welcome to Tech Inferno i hope you have better luck this time around. 21 days is max before you most likely wont get a refund. I had some issues in repairs much the same and only thing that helped was staying calm, saving all emails and communications (ask for emails of whats going on its always proof) and let them do their thing... perhaps it work fine this next set of parts i have new gpus and the rest of entire system is refurb and was from a brand new order not refurb.... but after a lot of trouble i was offered upgrades in place (not offered i had to insist after much more than 3 issues and disrepair). Thing is just to be patient and calm. Hope it goes well.

goodluck and welcome to Tech Inferno i hope you have better luck this time around. 21 days is max before you most likely wont get a refund. I had some issues in repairs much the same and only thing that helped was staying calm, saving all emails and communications (ask for emails of whats going on its always proof) and let them do their thing... perhaps it work fine this next set of parts i have new gpus and the rest of entire system is refurb and was from a brand new order not refurb.... but after a lot of trouble i was offered upgrades in place (not offered i had to insist after much more than 3 issues and disrepair). Thing is just to be patient and calm. Hope it goes well.

thank you for the answer, for how long did you have this refurb? is it working well? what upgrade did you get? i understand that the refurb will not be very likely to happen, which is okay... i just want my machine working, new tech comming this week for dell second try...

thank you for the answer, for how long did you have this refurb? is it working well? what upgrade did you get? i understand that the refurb will not be very likely to happen, which is okay... i just want my machine working, new tech comming this week for dell second try...

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x/1476-argh.html#post18084

Theres what me and another M18x owner went through. Its not a typical day in the life of Alienware... they are often more dependable than that. You probably will be fixed up on this next repair.

Just updating my status...

tech came yesterday with new motherboard, keyboard and video card and after few hours replacing parts, we boot it up and it still doesnt recognize both video cards, stereo now doesnt work and my computer now crashes every 5 minutes!

then, after calling dell from the technichian phone, im shipping it to dell tuesday... which i have very low expectations with =D

hoppefully i can get a new laptop or a reffund...

i also want to thank the forum for the replys, ill update this as soon as i get any news

hope it works out fine from the first try now. whatever happens, don't lose your cool, stay polite but firm and demand what you think is fair.

that is the best thing that can be recomended in these situations thanks Michael :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, there has been a while. So i got my laptop today from dell after 10days, and sadly as expect it did not work=D

Same problem, one of the video cards is not seen, sudden restarts.

Im gonna call dell again off course, but now im going to ask for a replacement with upgrades.

How should i ask for upgrades? How far with the upgrades should i ask for? What if i wait for the kepler/ivy m18x and ask them to give one to me, do you think that would be possible?

Please, if possible, include in your answer your own experience when asking for upgrades and what they gave you.

Thank you!

I never managed to get anywhere with the tech support on the phone. They kept offering replacement parts and/or sending the laptop to Dell depot (I had 4 repairs, 1 time screen hinge other 3 times cosmetic defects as a result of bad service on that hinge replacement), and I got lousier service at the depot than from on-site techs. The phone support guy took some convincing even to escalate the case, but he kept being negative and saying to me it won't work. Only after I filed a BBB complaint did I get someone from their "Executive" support whose job wasn't to waste customers time but instead he gave the replacement. At that point, I dealt only with this same guy. It was the same laptop as originally -- C2D M11x, but now with 8GB RAM (vs old 4) and 500GB HD (vs old 250GB). It was however, previously ordered new, so it was in mint physical condition and the battery was new. Only after I complained that that one didn't work, after another phone call, were they willing to give another replacement. The other replacement was also refurb but it had much better specs: core i7 2637m vs c2d su4300/su7300, 8gb ram 1333mhz vs 4gb ram 1066 mhz, and 750GB HD vs 250GB HD + it was high end m11x-r3 vs original which was r1 so it has plenty of other extra improvements like slightly better screen, better audio, better looking surface and other minor things.

Also, it didn't seem they were willing to give out new systems (the situation might be different if you have high end M18x, however), but only refurbished.

thats what i was up against too. in fact been having gpu issues for 2months now so i think i have to call back again. I found out the tech who added my gpus put the back plate on and it has been grounding out in 3 locations on both gpus... just when i thought i was done. I had since insulated those areas and still am having issues with them except now the whole system doesnt just shut off while in game :o but i fear the gpus are damaged at this point anyway.

Hi guys, so i called dell yesterday and after few hours of fight over the phone, they finally accepted on asking for a replacement machine.

They said that they would first send the case to the correct part of dell that takes care of it and that they would study my case and that they would say no or yes if the replacement will be given to me or not.

They said it would take a week.

So, was this the same process way with you? When did they get to ask if you wanted upgrades, or were they just given to you?

what about your nameplate, did you get one with your name as in your first alienware laptop, or no?

thanks for the answers, oh and how are your replacement refurbs going?

Hi guys, so i called dell yesterday and after few hours of fight over the phone, they finally accepted on asking for a replacement machine.

They said that they would first send the case to the correct part of dell that takes care of it and that they would study my case and that they would say no or yes if the replacement will be given to me or not.

So, was this the same process way with you? When did they get to ask if you wanted upgrades, or were they just given to you?

what about your nameplate, did you get one with your name as in your first alienware laptop, or no?

as mentioned i may still have gpu issues on my refurb and in no way are upgrades just offered. If you fight the case hard enough you will likely get small compensation but they are getting very hard on people needing warranty covered repairs that you practically have to fight like they have wronged you and lost valuable time... I'd call back and ask for a manager will take you forever and push that a decision is made sooner... they are trying to delay the decision but likely they also may be waiting on an area manager who deals with these things so hard to tell. But dont just outright demand upgrades, maintain calm, and use acceptable language... but to get to your question directly yes you are somewhat in the red tape now that we had to deal with and go through. if by end of week no decision call back and speak to a manager. Three of us thus far since last year till now had to complain to the BBB... but if you can avoid it do so as they get to act like your a legal issue they need to wipe out once BBB is involved.

Thank you for the answer, and yes, bad language would only make it worse, im always very polite and pacient.

i did use the word fight but me and the person who answered me on the phone had a very friendly conversation.

And to set all this replacement thing i did have to talk with a manager who took care of it more properly. i will wait, and if there is no answer ill be calling the same manager as i have his information.

if i get a no, guess ill have to take it to the BBB, so is the BBB itself very slow or does the problem get solved efficiently?

It was exactly the same they told me initially; that they will "escalate" my case but the phone rep was very negative and kept convincing me it (the request for replacement) would be denied. At that point I contacted the Better Business Bureau. I never waited for that whole week since my warranty was about to expire.

Nameplate can be unscrewed and screwed onto another laptop. The way it works is when they send you a replacement you ship the old laptop back in the same box. So momentarily you have both of them at the same time and you can move the nameplate if you have a screwdriver and 2 minutes of time.

My replacement seems just fine,thanks! I am at the moment talking to people about selling it since I don't need a third laptop.

Thank you for the answer, and yes, bad language would only make it worse, im always very polite and pacient.

i did use the word fight but me and the person who answered me on the phone had a very friendly conversation.

And to set all this replacement thing i did have to talk with a manager who took care of it more properly. i will wait, and if there is no answer ill be calling the same manager as i have his information.

if i get a no, guess ill have to take it to the BBB, so is the BBB itself very slow or does the problem get solved efficiently?

I got the call back from Dell next business day after I filed a BBB complaint from someone in their "executive customer service" I believe.

It was exactly the same they told me initially; that they will "escalate" my case but the phone rep was very negative and kept convincing me it (the request for replacement) would be denied. At that point I contacted the Better Business Bureau. I never waited for that whole week since my warranty was about to expire.

Nameplate can be unscrewed and screwed onto another laptop. The way it works is when they send you a replacement you ship the old laptop back in the same box. So momentarily you have both of them at the same time and you can move the nameplate if you have a screwdriver and 2 minutes of time.

My replacement seems just fine,thanks! I am at the moment talking to people about selling it since I don't need a third laptop.

well arent u supposed to send ur laptop back? i mean if dell gave u a new replacement laptop , they should be asking for ur old one i guess

did you pay for ur replacement laptop?

Yes, you send it back in the same box in which the new replacement laptop came in. First they send you the replacement and after you receive it, you send the old one back. I did not pay for anything (it was still under warranty).

All of the above info is great. Yes I also when I had involved the BBB I was waiting on contact that never happened and my rep had promised they were finding a replacement. More than two Weeks went by so I ended up contacting BBB and Dell contacted me on me contacting BBB within 3 days. It went smooth from there but I had to demand a replacement for the troubles.

• 1 month later...

Ive had numerous problems with my system and the lack of support when calling is was appalling.. i had a tech in CA refuse to work on the system stating that no tech in my area would do it.. and when i did finally get one to do a MB swap out he damaged stuff.. it took some doing but i got compensated with 2 7970s for my troubles..