Bios Flash Goes Wrong

kvadde

alas seems too much to be paying $700 for a new motherboard seems you should stand your ground and insist that the motherboard be replaced on warranty (even limited hardware warranty) @svl7 any thoughts on a M17x that wont flash blindly?

@mw86 - yup mate, 700 dollars definitely pinch... will be having tortillas and onions for the entire next week to save the money lost :D but the damage has already been done; the new mobo's arriving on monday.. on the brighter side, might get lesser temps due to a new, factory-pasted GPU :)

• 3 months later...
Here are the steps for recovering the current M14x BIOS:

Did you follow these steps? If not, try again. If it still doesn't work and you're out of warranty I still might be able to help you, but it'd require a hard flash or replacing the BIOS chip.

Edit: I attached the recovery file for flashing the unlocked A08 BIOS, just unpack it and copy it to the root of your USB drive.

I don't think I can thank you enough for this. I messed my bios playing around and thought I was done for. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Get the 09 bios version .exe file, open the .exe file with 7-zip and extract the A09.fb file to .. let's say: Desktop. rename the extracted file and the extension of it to: from A09.fb to M14R2.hdr and then copy it to usb disk driver which is formated as Fat32... remove the power cord, plug the usb in the left port USB and while holding END, plug in the power cord... the vents will go crazy and after a few seconds the beeps will tell you that the system is recovering: DON'T DO ANYTHING ! just leave the system alone, it will beep like 2minutes and automatically restart.

Hi,

I found many guides (like above) and I'm exactly proceed with these guides:

I used original A03 Bios

i extract the .exe and rename the .fd to M14R2.hdr

i Format an usb drive to fat32 (not bootable) and copy the M14R2.hdr to the root of usb stick

i remove the Main Battery and disconnect AC-Adapter

i put the stick in the USB2 port located on left side, hold END-key and connect the AC-Adapter

- the Notebook turned on, FAN is high spinning and all FX Leds are on, PWR Btn is Fading red-green-blue-white

- after ~10 sec. the System start continues beeping for 2-3 Minutes

- but than, the Notebook stay powered on and nothing happens, no Screen, no beeps, no automated reboot

- i leave it alone for 60 minutes, but still the same

- power off per power btn did not work, only remove AC can powered off the Notebook

- after reconnect AC, the Notebook stay in no power state, cant be turned on, no error beep codes, no leds

- i Strip down the complete System, remove coin cell but no help, System cant powered on

i brick 2 Mainboards with this guide. the 3rd will be delivered tomorrow.

what Im doing wrong? I cant understand it.

on the 2nd try, I used another known good USB stick and the original A04 File.

Both Mainboards are stock with A11 BIOS.

Here are the steps for recovering the current M14x BIOS:

Did you follow these steps? If not, try again. If it still doesn't work and you're out of warranty I still might be able to help you, but it'd require a hard flash or replacing the BIOS chip.

Edit: I attached the recovery file for flashing the unlocked A08 BIOS, just unpack it and copy it to the root of your USB drive.

A lifesaver man. I updated my girlfriends m14x r1 and messed with changed some bios settings, and got the blank 5 beep screen. I was scared to death that I just bricked her laptop. I unfortunately, had to download your M14xR1_A08_SATA_fix.zip from some japanese site since I could not download here, but followed your instructions, waited about 1 minute after plugging in the power cord, then it started beeping alot, then rebooted like 3 times and now all is fine. Thanks a million.

• 11 months later...
will this work if your bios password was set by your ex girl friend right before she left and my computer was set up to boot to the network only

That really sucks, she must have been REALLY mad at you. (and pretty tech savvy to know to do that)

• 9 months later...

i hope you guys dont mind the thread revival...but i tried the bios flash method and it doesnt work...USB is formatted at fat32...i put the right file in...(am i supposed to make bootable usb using poweriso?)

i press end and plugged in power at the same time...the fan went crazy but no beep or anything...just the fan going high the whole time..i tried using all 3 usb ports..