Headset recommendations

Hey all,

I was wondering if someone could recommend a headset they used. I am looking at stuff along the lines of Logitech G35, Steelseries 5h V2... I'd prefer something good quality. I'm willing to pay about $150 (could stretch out more but then it would have to be something pretty decent :P )

Thanks!

I use my alienware tactx for gaming (raid tonight as example). Microphone is great, speakers are ok and quality is good. For general listening I use the IPOD in ear (not the crap ones that come with ipods) but the ones that cost 70 bucks and they have a tweet and driver in each bud (seals in ear). The quality is great for music.

Good Luck,

StevenX

Steelseries 5h V2 same as alienware Xactx

I'd recommend any Siberia, I'm using it (it has 7.1 surround sound good for gaming with audio card) SteelSeries – SteelSeries Siberia v2 Natus Vincere Edition

SteelSeries – SteelSeries Diablo® III Headset (Match Alienware FX with change able lighting.

Also Razer Timat looks cool but never tried it. Razer Tiamat 7.1: Elite 7.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset - Razer™ | For Gamers. By Gamers.™

Thanks a lot for the recommendations!

I didn't feel I needed the expensive ones (I won't be using the headset THAT often; even though I could afford them), so I went with Steelseries Siberia v2 (white). I found a SteelSeries gear coupon flying around ("dv2011") that gave me 30% off ordering from SteelSeries.com North America, so the final cost was $68 -- including shipping. I thought it was a good deal to pass it up, plus I read Logitech G35 headset had bugs with some games. When I read the reviews on Siberia V2 I didn't find anything that would put me off, so I decided on them. If I'll get time, I'll try to put out a full review here (exclusively ;) ) on T|I. I didn't consider Razer due to crappy customer support and lack of fixing some bugs on Razer Mamba (I like their surfaces a lot tho).

The shortlist I had was basically (prices final for NY state), in case someone finds it helpful, with a list of things I learned by googling and reading reviews online:

• Logitech G35 ($105). Pros: good noise isolation (friend has them), mute/volume buttons on the headphones, had very good experiences with lots of logitech gear during >10 years. Cons: bugs in some games, Logitech ignoring customer complains.
  • SteelSeries Siberia V2 ($68). Pros: lightweight, didn't find any serious problems online, very comfortable, good "bang for a buck". Cons: not so good noise isolation (my friend had them then went with G35).
  • Sennheiser PC 360: ($200). Pros: open design, excellent sound quality, seems very good build quality. Cons: price, not really noise cancelling due to open design.

I guess it depends on your daily usage. I'd mainly use them for playing League of Legends / Magicka with my friends, Skype/Google Talk chats and occassional Google phone call. I have external 2+1 speakers that are pretty decent for everything else.

If you in LOL while using SteelSeries Siberia V2 on 7.1 sound you can hear the left and right surround sound , Eg ; if you in 5v5 map middle line you can heard your team mate jungling with weap/skills sound.(but you must stand on middle of turret to heard that sound)

Also for Bad Company 2 , you will notice when enemy is coming , with their food step. But for Battlefield 3 , its not that good , because of the background sound it really to tell enemy are close to you.

SteelSeries Siberia V2 Pink <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp2Kah8MLy8?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp2Kah8MLy8?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks! Yeah but in order for them to really shine I'd have to invest probably in the uDAC (which I'd love as well ofc :D ). I am kind of trying to save some money right now. :P

Btw ROFLMAO at that video! :D :D :D And... geek woman = hot. :encouragement:

Also didn't know they have pink ones. My sister would probably like those.

Edited by unreal25

• 1 month later...

Ive been through a good handful of headsets, notably i try to aim for 5.1 headsets, and usually im disapointed because their usually virtual 5.1 :(

My current headset, and the one i could recommend are the "Audio FX pro 5+1". Their not really a mainstream brand so their not top tier but i find them fantastic. The surround sound isnt top notch, your not going to be spotting someones exact location by noise but their sooo much better than stereo. What i really like about these are the Subwoofer with force feedback. OMG these things will blow your brains out with their bass. They will actually shake your head if you turn the bass up. The overall sound quality is great for music and games. Their 80USD new so their affordable. And their USB so no need for a sound card to run these bad boys.

Anyway, im looking at the "psyko krypton" headset right now and from the reviews it sounds like the best gaming true 5.1 headset available, second only to the premium version "psyko carbon". Looking forward to picking those up, my audiofx headsets seen better days haha.

• 4 months later...

Just a short update. I just bought Fiio E7 USB DAC since I'll want to use it regardless of what exact headphones/headset I get and a Zalman On-Clip Microphone. I'll test this on-clip microphone first to see how it works and whether it will be sufficiently good for Skype calls and video chats (since it is omnidirectional). If this will work, I'll just buy some nice headphones and not a headset. It seems like headsets are much more expensive in comparison and I don't think they are worth the price. I'll keep this thread updated with my purchases and thoughts. :)

Well Unreal I was going to suggest the same thing you decided to do. Good decision. Way I see it, it's like entertainment center logic. Is an all in one amp necessarily as good as an amp that's devoted to just being an amp... well that depends. I have a few vintage audio recievers and I'll tell you... the sound is outstanding and the power vs todays all in one digital audio video recievers. Home theater in a box is destroying what we know to be quality products. So in other worldy aspects... I see it much the same. You will most likely get superior audio from your microphone because it was marketed as just that... Not a combo microphone and headphone headset. Again your headphones will probably be equally superior to the average combo headset. I haven't used any headsets... but I see myself going the same route... Keeping a nice pair of headphones and utilizing a independent microphone.

-Marc

Btw Jimbo those headphones are probably comparable to the fidelity of a hi-fi stereo FTW :)

Yeah, I originally only looked at headsets. But then I came across the overclock.net article in their Hi-Fi sound section where they basically trashed the headsets so I did some research on their suggested gear and it looks like that I agree with their conclusion -- almost all of the decent headsets are simply not worth the price point. Because for the similar price you can buy a separate microphone and headphones of much higher quality than the ones on the headset.

The reason I chose Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro is because:

- I wanted a good bass (I often listen to Dubstep, Trance and similar bassy music)

- I wanted the closed type headphones to minimize outside noise during gaming (even though I don't like the fact that its hard to hear if someone is knocking or ringing my doorbell

- I actually like deeper sound even in games (explosions would sound really good), even though it might not give perfect mid and high tones that might be more relevant in many games... a personal preference I guess.

As far as the surround sound goes: I had a decent 5.1 system back at home quite a while (~10 years) ago with I think Creative SB Platinum sound card -- it was the best card at a time. It was cool, but nothing I couldn't live without. In addition, I am not really playing FPSes that much (or at all) at the moment. In fact it's mainly go to be League of Legends, D3 and Dota2 in the near future so I don't think I really need/want surround. And I doubt the headphones would be able to give a good surround anyway; but I guess probably somewhat better than stereo. FIIO E7 DAC seemed kind of best bang for the buck when it comes to something portable and based on my amateur knowledge seemed sufficient.

These will be my first hi-fi headphones, so I hope I am satisfied with them. :)

Great choice @unreal25. I think you'll love them. I bought these for real cheap... like $50 deal cheap MDR-XB700 | Extra Bass Headphones - 50mm | Sony | Sony Store USA they treat me good but they are a stepping stone... one day I'll by some Beyerdynamic's too perhaps those if you end up posting a real positive review. For now these headphones are extremely comfortable and like you I like over the ear design paired with large frequency range... I guarantee though that those Beyerdynamic's you just acquired will have top notch fidelity... unlike these Sony's they sound okay but are no doubt not very accurate.

I guess I'm a little over the top but I have a 7.1 Audio/video receiver in both my office and in my living room/home theater.

That article you must of read probably said the same I did. you want good audio you get the device devoted to being what it is and not some combo crap :) Lets see your microphone... some of us may be interested :)

I got those headphones to hold me over because they were cheaper than MFGR price of $130 and compared to basic headphones they didn't have the following.. 50mm driver, 3-28,000hz , 106 dB/mW sensitivity, 3000mW handling though you cant trust Sony's specs but I do have to say though reviews peg them as not the greatest but over basic headphones they sound extremely deep and crisp.

My next set are going to be Beyerdynamic when I can afford a decent set.

Edited by mw86

• 2 months later...

I prefer wireless headsets-

I have the Logitech G930 - Great overall but the software controlling the bass allows for popping and crackling to occur.. have to use a special equalizer preset to reduce this..

Just recently got the Corsair Vengeance 2000 headset which is also wireless but has 50mm magnets, definitely high quality sound with great bass. Also has virtual 7.1 channel surround

both of these are a small USB dongle that transmits over 2.4ghz

• Founder
I prefer wireless headsets-

I have the Logitech G930 - Great overall but the software controlling the bass allows for popping and crackling to occur.. have to use a special equalizer preset to reduce this..

Just recently got the Corsair Vengeance 2000 headset which is also wireless but has 50mm magnets, definitely high quality sound with great bass. Also has virtual 7.1 channel surround

both of these are a small USB dongle that transmits over 2.4ghz

Any loss in sound quality since they are wireless? How long does the battery last for each?

Any loss in sound quality since they are wireless? How long does the battery last for each?

I would say you loose some, especially the further away from the transmitter anymore than about 20ft your potentially exposed to more wireless interference the G930 handles the interference with an annoying popping noise.... So far these corsairs mute the audio when it doesnt feel the signal is perfect.

Overall standard headphones vs wireless in quality is about an 8/10

Battery life g930 - at least 8 hours

Corsair only tested up to 4 hours

You can plug both headsets in while in use to another usb port to charge (which is what I typically do and when I need to get up and go do something unplug)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

I'd go for the G930 just for the battery life alone. 4 hours with the corsair is too low for me. Which do you prefer out of the two overall?