US$189 AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box (16Gbps-TB2)

Uff… difficult question.

The one you linked can only provide 60W which might not be enough, maybe a Phobya 90W will be better: Phobya External PSU 230V to 4Pin Molex 90W [PH-84011] - $29.00 : PC Case Gear

But even if you want to keep it small… the molex riser force you to take apart the AKiTiO case.

Hi all,

i just registered to confirm my working setup:

- Akitio thunder 2

- 13'' macbook pro, late 2013 with win 8.1

- Asus GTX 970

- Corsair RM450

- Powered Riser with Molex

Thanks a lot to the forum! However, so far i failed to get the internal screen working. It is showing up in the preferences (resolution options greyed out) but stays black. Any hint what to do?

edit: Powering the akitio on boot partition selection screen did the trick - internal screen working! Happy! :)

• Thumbs Up 3

Hi there guys!

This is my first post here. So if i'm doing something wrong, please correct me! :)..

I've read this thread with much interest and because of the good results I've bought a Akitio Thunder2 PCIe Box myself.

I'm planning to use it in the following setup:

MBPr late 2013 with nVidea 750m dGPU.

ASUS GTX660Ti Direct CUII Top

Coolermaster 620W (had lying around)

Thus far I've got it running on windows 8.1 EFI install. It detects the card, and with an external monitor it gives me an extended desktop.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12942[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12943[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12944[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12945[/ATTACH]

post-30613-14494998602802_thumb.jpg

post-30613-14494998605961_thumb.jpg

post-30613-14494998608813_thumb.jpg

So i was pretty happy thus far. But here's the problem.

It generates BSOD's with the following error:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12941[/ATTACH]

On Sun 26-10-2014 11:50:15 GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102614-11703-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x91DC84)

Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFE001713A84D0, 0xFFFFF801C7FD6C84, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)

Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys

product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 344.48

company: NVIDIA Corporation

description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 344.48

Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 344.48 , NVIDIA Corporation).

Google query: NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

The following things i've tried thus far:

- remove old nvidea drivers with driver sweeper and clean the register with ccleaner.

- installed various driver versions (314.22 to 344.48).

I thought that it could be some power issue also (because of the single wired molex at the PCI riser it could get insufficient power?). But haven't had the chance to check that. Maybe someone with the same problem could confirm it?

Some other advises would be great also! I'm a little stuck here...

Thanks in advance! :)

Jakob.

@Jakob

I too have TDR FAILURES. Tested replacing my DA-2 with an ATX psu and the problem disappeared. I think the problem is a combination of the GTX900 architecture and NVIDIA drivers making the voltage unstable during idle and boost voltages.

Sent from my iPhone

@jacobsson

Didn't get what you ment by DA-2, but i think you ment the other PSU (your old one)?

The DA-2 is a very lets say powerful PSU from Dell with specs like 12V@220W = ~18.3A which is preferred as a external brick shaped PSU for high currency 12V based Systems...

Since it is 12V based

What about this instead of a DA-2?

I guess the mentioned from intelligence will not work - it's 50v 5a 250w like they say but they also say its 36W - just forget about it at all...

Found the nice wrap of @jacobsson himself here

@intelligence

Love that picture :)

You have to use a 12V PSU like ATX or the fanless Dell DA-2 brick.

@Jakob

Did you use DDU to clean out Your NVIDIA drivers before installing the new one?

There is a software (https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/694754/tdr-manipulator-v1-1-02-23-2014-/) that let's you extend the or even turn off the TDR protection settings. Try it and tell me how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone

@intelligence

Yeah I'm still in the stage of trying to figure out what's causing my problems. Theoretically the DA-2 should be more than enough for the GTX970. Yes it's probably the most powerful fanless 12V brick you can get for a reasonable buck right now. I'd wait if I were you to see if how I solve this :)

Sent from my iPhone

The DA-2 is a very lets say powerful PSU from Dell with specs like 12V@220W = ~18.3A which is preferred as a external brick shaped PSU for high currency 12V based Systems...

Ah ok, tnx for explaining that to me :)..

@Jakob

Did you use DDU to clean out Your NVIDIA drivers before installing the new one?

There is a software (https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/694754/tdr-manipulator-v1-1-02-23-2014-/) that let's you extend the or even turn off the TDR protection settings. Try it and tell me how it goes!

Yes, I did clean my drivers with DDU before installing the new ones. I also checked my register with ccleaner before installing new drivers.

I did some testing with the TDR manipulator. But it didn't solve the problem.

I tested if the TdrDdiDelay was the problem by setting it to 30 sec.

I also tested if setting the TdrDelay to 30 sec. would solve the problem.

When I start the program (Lumion, a 3D modelling tool for generating architectual render in a 3D world) the external screen just goes black.

Before tweaking the TDR delays it generated a BSOD in just a few seconds. After tweaking the TdrDdiDelay and the TdrDelay it keeps showing me the desktop on my internal display where I can use my mouse, but can't click on anything. After 30 seconds it also generates a BSOD.

So i decided to check if disabling the TDR function would do anything, but, as expected, it don't generate a BSOD but just freezes.

The same Video_TDR_Failure happend when i plug out the thunderbolt cable. Could it be that the GPU just has a timeout and disconnects from the tunderbolt port witch leads to the BSOD error? Some suggestions on this subject?

@jacobsson

That's no problem, i'm glad your willing to help! :)

First i've used my modular 620W PSU with this specs:

post-30613-14494998614736_thumb.jpg

After that I tried this one, a non-modular ATX 400W PSU with the following specs:

post-30613-14494998617381_thumb.jpg

I'm using a Macbook Pro late 2013 with a igpu iris pro 5200 and a dgpu GT750M. The igpu is not visible in windows due to bad gmux drivers (apple didn't write any as far as i know). So i'm planning to use my eGPU on an external display.

@jacobsson

That's no problem, i'm glad your willing to help! :)

First i've used my modular 620W PSU with this specs:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12955[/ATTACH]

After that I tried this one, a non-modular ATX 400W PSU with the following specs:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12956[/ATTACH]

I'm using a Macbook Pro late 2013 with a igpu iris pro 5200 and a dgpu GT750M. The igpu is not visible in windows due to bad gmux drivers (apple didn't write any as far as i know). So i'm planning to use my eGPU on an external display.

The modular PSU is good. 12V/19A on a rail. The non-modular one has 12V/14A which isn't going to be enough for your GTX660Ti. Also be aware that we found plenty of examples of factory overclocked GTX6xx cards beyond what they were capable. Downclocking them to reference clocks allowing them to function without BSOD or other associated instability failures.

• Thumbs Up 1

The modular PSU is good. 12V/19A on a rail. The non-modular one has 12V/14A which isn't going to be enough for your GTX660Ti. Also be aware that we found plenty of examples of factory overclocked GTX6xx cards beyond what they were capable. Downclocking them to reference clocks allowing them to function without BSOD or other associated instability failures.

Hi Nando4, tnx for the reply!

So i'm back to the modular PSU.

I've tested the card at it's default clock speeds (GPU Clock 1059/Memory clock 1502mhz)

And on the reference clocks from Nvidia (GPU Clock 915/Memory clock 1502mhz)

Still no luck. It always fails at the moment of starting that 3D intensive program.

This card is from my desktop pc. It runs without issues.

Maybe some other troubleshooting? Is there some additional info i could give you guys?

Thanks a lot! :rugby:

@Jakob

I have a similar setup to yours; except I haz Lenovo T430s and Zotac 660Ti. Also, getting weird issues like the TDR_FAILURE. I got that BSOD once. The other times have been stuttering and slowdowns, then I get "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Funny enough, if I switch to the PE4L, I do not have the problems above.

I am curious, what PCIE riser are you using? Here's mine: Sintech PCI E Express 16x Riser Extender Card 10 30cm FPC Cable Molex Power | eBay

@krazyazy

So you stopped using the Akitio Box?

Im using the following riser cable:

Riser Card Extention kabel PCI-E 16x naar 16x (+ Molex) 15cm - RC-16X-16X-15CM - Yorcom.nl

@Tech Inferno Fan

In addition to my previous post:

I did a check with the GTX660ti in my desktop setup. It's running on the default manufacturer settings of 1059/1502mhz.

When using the specific problematic program (Lumion) I find the GPU Load on 99%.

Could tis be a problem for an eGPU setup?

post-30613-14494998620727_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Got my GTX 970 EVGA SC today, will test and if everything run flawlessly on OSX I might sell my Sonnet III-D

has anyone saw the Alienware's 300$ dock eGPU? It's in engadget website 16mins ago.

Here's the link by the way. http://www.engadget.com/gallery/alienware-graphics-amplifier-hands-on/3048094/#!slide=3048094

I wonder what type of cable you can use for this or is this only for alienware laptops?

Yes, I didn't leave the Valley app, just restarted the benchmark as soon it was finished. But because I was always in the app, the 3D load was even between the benchmarks.

Valley + youtube in Safari is working. I get a "Safari crashed" warning, but Safari & YT are still working.

I am using two riser. Ordered first a flexible molex powered riser, but its capacitors are blocking the card from beeing installed into my CoolerMaster Elite 130 case. So I ordered a solid riser board which is just reorientating the PCIe slot by 90°.

So the setup is GTX970 - 90°riser board - flexible riser (powered with molex) - AKiTiO

Got my 970 EVGA SC. Run on my AkiTio without the riser using 450 PSU. I could confirm that there are no issues!. Been playing with Steam games for 4 straight game high setting on my new LG 34 inch curve monitor!

Tinkering if Im going to sell off my Sonnet III-D. Would the AkiTio be able to handle the 980 power too?