M18x iGPU Switching

Guest bifnewman

Guest bifnewman

After seeing someone's M18x estimate 5hrs of battery life on the iGPU, I can't stop thinking about the M18x... But it also requires a restart to switch graphics. Is it possible that a BIOS mod could potentially change this? I remember my Rampage III Extreme BIOS had some sort of hotswapping pci-e option in the BIOS. I wonder if someone could hack it in.

• Founder

Because it is a dual card system, it needs a restart to shut both GPU's off. I don't think HM67 was designed to run with IGP + dual graphics so Dell sorta hacked their way around this by requiring a restart which shuts off both GPUs. If you check the bios, it detects discrete graphics card as being absent when on IGP and vice versa so it's a deep system level change.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest bifnewman

hmm. wow, i'd be willing to deal with the reboot though. its very nice to see integrated graphics on this thing...

Guest bifnewman
Yeah, with SSD rebooting is easy as.... pie?

yeah, i forgot about the ssd (i dont have one yet)... i might go for something around the $500 range if i get an m18x but if i get m17x back then i will go for something around the $250-300 range.... any recommendations?

Guest bifnewman

also, has anyone tried a 12.5mm drive in their m18x? it would be awesome to have a 256gb ssd and a 1tb internal hd. you could even remove the optical drive and put an hd in there.

• Founder
+1

I'm desperate to know, If it can be OC'd properly, then I'll spring the for the $900 to get one.

Don't bother right now. Lockbit seems to be in place so you're better off spending that cash on a super fast SSD.