M18X R2 GPU Upgrade

Mictain

So I may be looking to upgrade my M18X R2 which currently has a 680M to either an 880M or 980M.  Either way I am looking at what is need as far as the hardware.  I have seen that some are sold with just the card itself while others are sold with the brackets, foam pads and screws.  If I am upgrading from the 680M do I need to find one that includes the bracket and pads or will I be able to reuse the ones from my 680M?  Also is the SLI Cable usable from the 680M's to say the 880 and 980?

Edited by Mictain

So I may be looking to upgrade my M18X R2 which currently has a 680M to either an 880M or 980M.  Either way I am looking at what is need as far as the hardware.  I have seen that some are sold with just the card itself while others are sold with the brackets, foam pads and screws.  If I am upgrading from the 680M do I need to find one that includes the bracket and pads or will I be able to reuse the ones from my 680M?  Also is the SLI Cable usable from the 680M's to say the 880 and 980?

I have a single 980m. Your heat sink brackets and everything should work including your SLI cable. Are you going to be running Windows 7 or Windows 10. To run Windows 7 you will need the unlocked a 11 bios and modified NVIDIA drivers.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, LoganWPatch said:

I have a single 980m. Your heat sink brackets and everything should work including your SLI cable. Are you going to be running Windows 7 or Windows 10. To run Windows 7 you will need the unlocked a 11 bios and modified NVIDIA drivers.

You will need modded drivers from then on indiferent of the OS

2 minutes ago, LoganWPatch said:

I don't think you need the modified drivers for Windows 10 that's how my laptop originally was sent I got it used but I needed Windows 7 for my 3D printing scanning and art programs

Maybe u were the lucky one that have had a laptop with an upgarded GPU (Dell obviously) with an exact stock hardware ID that maches stock nvidia drivers, it usualy isn't the case.

I have been reading a lot about the A11 modded drivers and other things that would be needed depending on what OS I use.  Right now its running 7 but I may install 10.  So as far as hardware is concerned it seems like everything from my 680 can be used with the 980?

From a 680 to 980 it's preety much a PnP job, just make sure to have extra pads to mach the thickness required, and the sink to make a perfect contact with all the parts properly. 

• 5 weeks later...

Hey all,

I'm planning to do a similar upgrade though my m18x r2 currently has two 7970m's installed. It is also already on Windows 10. From my understanding to get the 980m to work on this laptop you need an unlocked a11 BIOS and modified vBIOS for the card, usually swicks and prema's mods respectively have been recommended. 

19 hours ago, ChillAlarm said:

From my understanding to get the 980m to work on this laptop you need an unlocked a11 BIOS and modified vBIOS for the card, usually swicks and prema's mods respectively have been recommended. 

If you switch from ATI to Nvidia 980M you also need a Nvidia 100W heatsink.

• 3 months later...
On 27/7/2017 at 5:21 PM, ChillAlarm said:

Hey all,

I'm planning to do a similar upgrade though my m18x r2 currently has two 7970m's installed. It is also already on Windows 10. From my understanding to get the 980m to work on this laptop you need an unlocked a11 BIOS and modified vBIOS for the card, usually swicks and prema's mods respectively have been recommended. 

hi, can you say me which version of prema mod are correct for m18x r2?

thx.