Power adapter cutting off during Heavy use

Adam Noble

Now this is a strange one, i have tried looking through the forum and have found nothing (or not looking in the right places)

About 4 months ago i was playing something pretty heavy on my R2 when the frame rate dropped, upon looking for possible causes i saw that i was running on battery power BUT the power adapter was plugged in on both ends and the little blue light was NOT on at the end of the plug. Setting the game on low was not a problem but i was able to re create the issue by bumping the settings up and right on time the frame rate would die as the adapter did. I called dell and they had a tech come out and have a look, i re created the problem when he was watching and he said it was a fault adapter so gave me a replacement while mine was sent off for analysis. STUPIDLY i did not test the replacement due to holiday timing but a few days later i received my old adapter back with a letter explaining that nothing was detected even when the same stress test was run, as advised by the tech that saw the problem occur. Strangely enough the problem disappeared until NOW......

Playing Battlefield 3 completely fine on ultra (with a few tweaks for about 60-100FPS) for about 4 hours with a friend when just like before the frame rate dropped and a quick shift back to desktop showed that i was indeed running on battery power and the adapter was completely dead but simply moving the adapter plug to another socket brought it back, a few minutes later it happened again but this time a socket change did not bring it back and i had to unplug it for about 5 mins and back in for it to work.

Monitoring Temps and power usage shows i am nowhere near my limits in either resources, power usage or temps so i am not overloading, i have tried three different surge protectors and i am not running overclocked or using throttlestop ect...

Is there any chance this is a laptop sided problem? i have no problem sending the adapter back to dell for another checkup but i have been assured by email that the tests carried out will be 100% accurate and that the fault does not rest with the adapter :S

Edited by Adam Noble

I am running the A10 modded bios but with no overcloking or increased voltages. I tried giving dell a call this morning and after being transferred the call disconnected :(

Where would i stand with requesting a new PSU from dell? its a shame because i was hoping to do some benching this weekend but if the PSU dies at 49% load then that wont be much help lol

Going to try dell again....and again.....and again until someone sends me a new PSU or tells me to bugger off!

Will post back when i get some information back from them

• Founder

You could try to revert to the default A10 Bios and check. If it is still the same then keep calling Dell until they send you a new PSU. (I doubt it is your mobo cause in that cause your laptop would shut down but the PSU would still be on)

Yes get them to replace PSU as I was able to run 3dmark11 overclocked a lot on cpu, and overvolted to 1.15v on both 58700 gpus on my old R2 and not have issue... so yours needs to be replaced for sure as they should be able to handle more than that no doubt.

Well the first two reps i spoke to point blank refused to entertain the idea of dell replacing the PSU. upon my third try at asking to speak to the shift manager i spoke to a woman that said if i take both the laptop and PSU to a dell certified computer store (PC World or Curries in UK) and a tech inspects the PSU and deems that it is in fact faulty then there is a "chance" dell will replace it there and then :S

I remember dell shipping me a brand new XPS M1530 and both the GPU and slot load drive where faulty, they sent someone out who replaced both AND extended my warranty a year but now they are telling me to go buy another PSU and go away for a system almost 3x the amount :(

Looks like i better book an appointment for the PC doctors and hope they can help me out :/

• Founder
System is just over a year old so it SHOULD be under warranty but i cant find any of the paperwork so it may have expired :/ although dell normally allow extensions don't they?

Generally PSU's and batteries are only covered for 1 year even if your warranty is longer than that. Standard warranty is 1 year so if you didn't get extended warranty to start with, then it is expired. You could still extend it but it will cost you a lot of money, so whether its worth it is up to you. You may want to consider purchasing a PSU from a spare parts reseller online. Also, check to ensure you don't have a ground problem with the outlets in your home, that could be tripping the PSU.

Damn it is out of warranty by a few weeks :/ i am going to try switching to another power outlet and run some tests, other than that i guess its onto the web to look for a new PSU :(

I will run some tests and come back with the results =)

haha thanks guys i will spend tomorrow trying to source one....strange how it was easier to find 2 new ATI 6xxxx cards and a new processor then it is to find a new PSU lol anyway changes made, testing tomorrow and hopefully it is the socket i am using.....if not then a new PSU :)

Right testing sort of complete, in uni now abusing the 10Mbps connection to download Skyrim, while waiting decided to host a minecraft server and play some more battlefield and guess what? 49% came and went without a problem although its only at 52% now but it looks as it it could be the Gaming serge protector i was using. Been playing for about 3 hours now on ultra with no problems :)

• Thumbs Up 1