m17xR2 overheating?

DanXbix

I have actually been gaming on my m17xr2 and am having a few issues which I am assuming it heat related.While playing dirt 3, gta and bf3beta every now and then I have had a blue screen saying hardware malfunction please contact your vendor. See Twitter / DanXbix: Alienware :(http://t.co/W ... real temp has recorded temps of 99c on CPU and 85c on GPU1While gaming I am getting frame drops and short pauses (throttling?) I am getting worried my m1730 days are repeating :( also run dell diagnostics and getting an error code in regards to LCD brightness??? Have warranty until end of 2013 but worried they are just going to stuff it up with refurb parts? Any ideas???

I have actually been gaming on my m17xr2 and am having a few issues which I am assuming it heat related.While playing dirt 3, gta and bf3beta every now and then I have had a blue screen saying hardware malfunction please contact your vendor.

Just an idea, but I see that you're using an OCZ Vertex 3 - which firmware are you using currently ? There are lots of BSOD problems with firmware 2.13. Maybe an update solves the problem.

And/Or: Remove your backplate, look for dust at the fans and try a run with a notebook cooling pad when your backplate is removed and watch your temperatures again.

Hey all thanks :) The vertex 3 is on 2.15 i have read all about that. the 940xm is at 3% o/c currently and thats why i have a xm so i can overclock lol idles around 55 to 60c. Do you think its the Nvidia cards causing issues as they use more wattage then ATI? i just want to play dirt 3 without it dropping fps and micro-stuttering :)

i just want to play dirt 3 without it dropping fps and micro-stuttering :)

I think that's a general problem with SLI and Crossfire. But Dirt 3 has lot's of problems with SLI -maybe that's the issue.

I don't belive that you have a heating problem. When you reach the 100°C with your 940XM, the system simply shuts down and doesn't give you an BSOD - normally.

Do you think its the Nvidia cards causing issues as they use more wattage then ATI

Could be, but in my opinion this can't be the solution for frame drops. Either you have enough power for both cards and it works or you have not enough power and get a BSOD when gaming.

Never heard of power problems which result into low framerates...

Greetings

i have had hard shutdowns before but has anyone seen this BSOD? i thought maybe because of Nvidia using more power and 940xm CPU it maybe at the 240w threshold??? which would result in throttling hence fps drop. Realtemp was recording 100c on 2 cores so maybe a little out?

btw laptop is clean of dust and i alway take get care of the laptop :)

I have actually been gaming on my m17xr2 and am having a few issues which I am assuming it heat related.While playing dirt 3, gta and bf3beta every now and then I have had a blue screen saying hardware malfunction please contact your vendor. See Twitter / DanXbix: Alienware :(http://t.co/W ... real temp has recorded temps of 99c on CPU and 85c on GPU1While gaming I am getting frame drops and short pauses (throttling?) I am getting worried my m1730 days are repeating :( also run dell diagnostics and getting an error code in regards to LCD brightness??? Have warranty until end of 2013 but worried they are just going to stuff it up with refurb parts? Any ideas???

Dan it took me awhile to remember but I do know it happened to me on my system a few times M17x R2 I had with 5870's and from what I remember I was overclocking the processor too much at the time. The games you mention take advantage of the processor a good amount esp GTA at quad core usage. Power on the R2 can be a limit too as you already mentioned... are you using a 24/7 overclock the 3% you mentioned... can you list the usual... did you add +0mv,+75mv,+150mv? heat is a big issue at 150mv and 75mv is hot too but if pasted good Stam uses it for his 3.57 I believe. So like Stam said you could even try having no cpu overclock and check for the bsod... i had issues in GTA with crashing too if my overclock was too high... also if the speeds go up and down frequently rather than staying in a close range than its less stable since the voltage goes back and forth... I've been most stable recently with core states off or for your system the ppm trick Stam posted... when the cpu isn't going up and down in power states it can withstand higher overclocks in my recent findings, I think Stam uses it for the same reasons and the amazing performance boost of always processing at your top frequency... unless loaded too much then it just drops to what it can handle given the tdp/tdcset etc... but you know that you've had a 940Xm for some time...

BTW if you can enhance your cooling any that will get you higher overclocks too. We have a HWbot team your welcome to join we have only a few so far but we are strong in small numbers...

saw more of a later post of yours and yes the errors are related to it not working right the cpu that is.. its not broken and its definitely a prob for 100c... the error is not from reaching your power limit... as I only had them from the overclock... and when i had the power issue it was just a complete shut off of the system. you can go to 280watt atleast not sure maybe 260watt don't remember but the true limit from wall is over 240 of the specs listed. they got 6990m's in the R2...

perhaps the cpu was throttling as they aren't meant to run at 100c and maybe if you locked it to not throttle with throttle stop... it just crashed from the 100c... your cpus handling at 70c is great 80-90 is okay and handling at 100C is unstable at times... perhaps if it just peaks a sec at 100c its one thing but if for a few minutes its bound to be unstable..

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hey mw86 was running 5% +0mv & now 3% +0mv CPU has been pasted & adjusted too :) maybe not well enough. I am concerned as CPU was idling @ 44c a couple of weeks ago and did a wpime32 run of 7.299 but now 55c idle and 99c??? with throttlestop if i run 85/75 i get that BSOD if i run Vantage or 3dmark06. i may reinstall win7 etc tonight and see what happens

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey mw86 was running 5% +0mv & now 3% +0mv CPU has been pasted & adjusted too :) maybe not well enough. I am concerned as CPU was idling @ 44c a couple of weeks ago and did a wpime32 run of 7.299 but now 55c idle and 99c??? with throttlestop if i run 85/75 i get that BSOD if i run Vantage or 3dmark06. i may reinstall win7 etc tonight and see what happens

the tdc and tdp and 3% sound foine what multis did you set? too high and 0mv isn't enough but it can go pretty high since I mostly always used 0mv too as the chip in general produced less heat but to an extent then the 0mv can get in the way of high overclocks...

multis were standard 25x?? if on 26 it crashes instantly :52_002:

I say keep it cool and drop your tdc if you have to... to keep it cooler repaste if you can check the thread about adding pressure to heasink and if you want 26x @ 3% overclock you will need the +75mv like Stam uses on his.... then 3.57ghz is stable... but you need that cooling improved... i had 3.56 stable at a higher baseclock than you and stam at +0mv and 90's for tdc/tdp but the prob for me was temps too but the 0mv was good enough to keep 3.56ghz when my baseclock was skyhigh... i used setfsb to do it instead of bios since the baseclock i used wasn't available via bios only. cant remember but i think i was at 142.3 @ 25X for 3.56Ghz @ +0mv... at around same baseclock i could do @2x for 3.7ghz~ stable at +75mv but was too hot for everyday use only was feasible for benchmarks for me... it got me 8048 cpu on 3dmark 11 on my 920XM i was so happy on stock paste no doubt. http://forum.techinferno.com/misc.php?do=formresults_table&fid=9

Stams baseclock wasn't stable higher but it can also be ram related... my ram might have had more overclock room than his... the hyperX usually get a 100mhz at most but my stock dell ram back when i had the R2 might have had more room than that.... i used 1.6v on the ram I think... 1.65 wasnt necessary 1.7 was too hot and caused errors but 1.6 worked great for me... Svl7 stays stock or 1.55 max since for him mostly any volts added to the ram made instability... these are all many options....

Edited by mw86

multis were standard 25x?? if on 26 it crashes instantly :52_002:

we will get your cpu stable and fast with you i'm rooting for ya... i loved my 920xm when i had it...

my post above was off by a number or two specifically look at this post

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x/133-official-m17x-r2-benchmarking-thread-4.html#post1948

and look through my results and settings temps etc and find a happy medium but use this post to see the difference between the 3 overclocks i show.... @3.8ghz and +150mv on 3dmark 11 it hit 100C on one core...

Edited by mw86