14" Dell Latitude E6430 - Performance Upgrades and System Mods

Thanks for the info @timohour but I already tried all of them. This is probably a driver\hardware problem, not TOLUD because the 660gtx is correctly recognized, but with an external screen the system is very unstable (on Win 10 at least, I'm now trying on Win 8.1).

@Tech Inferno Fan It is normal that setup_var "xxx" shows "GUID does not match expected GUID, taking it nevertheless, expected a different size of the Setup variable, continue con care, bla bla bla"?. The output fon vars seems to me the right one, anyway.

its ok
UPDATE: No luck on win 8.1 too :((( all three gpu (i, e, d) are allocated but on external screen the system is very unstable. :\

UPDATE 2: Ok, I managed to isolate the problem: the truth is that everything works (optimus, Gen2, hotplug, plug from boot, disabling NV5200 or not etc...) a perfect system but ONLY with the internal screen. Every time I tried to connect my 24''... the 660 driver crashed, so the problem is the connection with an external screen (I tried both HDMI and DP). @timohour do you use one of these?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16265[/ATTACH]

I connected my screen on the R9-280x with DVI but I can't see how this is any different than your HDMI signal.

You said that the same setup (adapter+card+screen) works flawlessly @ x 1.2 with your 2570p... That's weird cause it really seems like an adapter fault...

Could you pls try to set your EC port @ Gen1 speed using UEFI vars?

If your gear works fine with your 2570p it could mean that the EC port is faulty and it won't hold gen 2 signal...

http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9690-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-system-mods-19.html#post144322 you can find instructions here

@sangemaru Is there any possibility to test your adapter with an other system to check if it can hold Gen 2 signals...

Mine was working but AMD drivers was proved to be more versatile than NVidia in such cases

its ok

I connected my screen on the R9-280x with DVI but I can't see how this is any different than your HDMI signal.

You said that the same setup (adapter+card+screen) works flawlessly @ x 1.2 with your 2570p... That's weird cause it really seems like an adapter fault...

Could you pls try to set your EC port @ Gen1 speed using UEFI vars?

If your gear works fine with your 2570p it could mean that the EC port is faulty and it won't hold gen 2 signal...

http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9690-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-system-mods-19.html#post144322 you can find instructions here

@sangemaru Is there any possibility to test your adapter with an other system to check if it can hold Gen 2 signals...

Mine was working but AMD drivers was proved to be more versatile than NVidia in such cases

I can try Gen1, but in your post you said: UPDATE: This will work only for devices that are connected on the machine prior to boot. If you disconnect or hotplug the machine it will revert to Gen2 speeds as pointed here. thanks @Tech Inferno Fan for pointing that out.

​How this works? Booting with EC already in give me a freeze\blackscreen. Anyway with the internal screen the Gen2 works fine, so I don't think yours is the right answer.

I can try Gen1, but in your post you said: UPDATE: This will work only for devices that are connected on the machine prior to boot. If you disconnect or hotplug the machine it will revert to Gen2 speeds as pointed here. thanks @Tech Inferno Fan for pointing that out.

​How this works? Booting with EC already in give me a freeze\blackscreen. Anyway with the internal screen the Gen2 works fine, so I don't think yours is the right answer.

Follow this post to keep your iGPU enabled to avoid blackscreen. Check the next post for the variables

Ok I too can confirm it: The system is stable with Gen1 (but still with a LITTLE lag while opening windows). Anyway must be a driver+hardware problem, in my opinion, 'cause on internal-screen-only the Gen2 link works ( @sangemaru could you try?)

I am sure that my r9-280x hold a stable x1.2 link with my EC homemade adapter, even when running a couple of benchmarks. No Nvidia card was tested though.

Also other laptops from the same generation (E6230, E6530) have managed successfully to establish a Gen 2 speed link.

And the same problem shows on both you dGPU model and the iGPU model...

I don't think that there is a manufacturer fault on your mb and the EC can not hold Gen2 speeds...

Are you running the latest Intel driver?

The problem is still in W10 or W8.1?

I am sure that my r9-280x hold a stable x1.2 link with my EC homemade adapter, even when running a couple of benchmarks. No Nvidia card was tested though.

Also other laptops from the same generation (E6230, E6530) have managed successfully to establish a Gen 2 speed link.

And the same problem shows on both you dGPU model and the iGPU model...

I don't think that there is a manufacturer fault on your mb and the EC can not hold Gen2 speeds...

Are you running the latest Intel driver?

The problem is still in W10 or W8.1?

Yes on both.

On Win 8.1 the Gen2 link is a little more stable (I can open some windows before continuous driver reboots), but Gen1 has a little micro-lag while opening new windows (very little but noteworthy). On Win 10 the Gen2 link is much more unstable (black screen with only the mouse visible, then crash), but the Gen1 is better (no micro-lag).

The intel driver is the last one (but I can disable the Optimus\HD4000 and the problem is the same, so probably is on Nvidia, if any).

@sangemaru the model of your external monitor?

Yes on both.

On Win 8.1 the Gen2 link is a little more stable (I can open some windows before continuous driver reboots), but Gen1 has a little micro-lag while opening new windows (very little but noteworthy). On Win 10 the Gen2 link is much more unstable (black screen with only the mouse visible, then crash), but the Gen1 is better (no micro-lag).

The intel driver is the last one (but I can disable the Optimus\HD4000 and the problem is the same, so probably is on Nvidia, if any).

I really can't find any reason why this is happening other than a hardware defect either from the laptop or the eGPU hardware. And since the whole setup works great on your 2570p I can only assume it is your laptop.

Is there any other GPU you could borrow and try (even older)? I use to do my first test with an old 8400 with a faulty DVI I salvaged from work.

Also use your Service Tag to check on your warranty. These machines came with a Pro 3 year warranty and it is very possible that it is still under it...

If you are quite sure it is a mb defect you should contact them in order to replace it.

Offcourse you should find another way to prove that the EC slot is faulty (maybe test with a cheap EC-USB 3.0 chip) cause I don't think they will fall for "Hey, my eGPU is not working @ Gen2 speeds..."

I really can't find any reason why this is happening other than a hardware defect either from the laptop or the eGPU hardware. And since the whole setup works great on your 2570p I can only assume it is your laptop.

Is there any other GPU you could borrow and try (even older)? I use to do my first test with an old 8400 with a faulty DVI I salvaged from work.

Also use your Service Tag to check on your warranty. These machines came with a Pro 3 year warranty and it is very possible that it is still under it...

If you are quite sure it is a mb defect you should contact them in order to replace it.

Offcourse you should find another way to prove that the EC slot is faulty (maybe test with a cheap EC-USB 3.0 chip) cause I don't think they will fall for "Hey, my eGPU is not working @ Gen2 speeds..."

I don't understand: Ok, lets assume a faulty motherboard, but the problem is that Gen2 works without problems if no external screen is connected (in optimus mode). Is that for the lower resolution?

I don't understand: Ok, lets assume a faulty motherboard, but the problem is that Gen2 works without problems if no external screen is connected (in optimus mode). Is that for the lower resolution?

Unlike the 2570P that has a EC slot soldered onto the systemboard, Dell systems often use a daughterboard that connects onto the systemboard to provide an EC slot. If there is even a small impedance mismatch then at 5GHz transmission speed of Gen2 it will add signal reflections leading to data loss. Switching to the slower Gen1 solving the problem.

As a start you want the best possible eGPU adapter (PE4L 2.1b or PE4C V3.0) with soldered cable to test with. If still not getting Gen2 then consider testing another video card, another culprit that can add signal noise.

As timohour suggests, Dell aren't going to replace the EC components due to Gen2 instability. It's been noted that Dell have been downgrading their updated newer BIOS on Gen2-capable EC slot machines at Gen1 speed. That tells me Dell has an inexpensive solution to the problem. As Dell aren't advertising a Gen2 EC slot it's a solution that's within their marketting spec. Unfortunately.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unlike the 2570P that has a EC slot soldered onto the systemboard, Dell systems often use a daughterboard that connects onto the systemboard to provide an EC slot. If there is even a small impedance mismatch then at 5GHz transmission speed of Gen2 it will add signal reflections leading to data loss. Switching to the slower Gen1 solving the problem.

As a start you want the best possible eGPU adapter (PE4L 2.1b or PE4C V3.0) with soldered cable to test with. If still not getting Gen2 then consider testing another video card, another culprit that can add signal noise.

As timohour suggests, Dell aren't going to replace the EC components due to Gen2 instability. It's been noted that Dell have been downgrading their updated newer BIOS on Gen2-capable EC slot machines at Gen1 speed. That tells me Dell has an inexpensive solution to the problem. As Dell aren't advertising a Gen2 EC slot it's a solution that's within their marketting spec. Unfortunately.

Thanks @Tech Inferno Fan, but I still don't understand why on internal screen Gen2 works (lower resolution maybe?).

So... lets do some razor-exclusion between me and @sangemaru:

SO: Different: Win 8.1 (Win 10 too) and Win 10

BIOS: Different, A16 and A7

dGPU: Different: NV5200 and none

eGPU: Different, Gtx660 and R9-270x (different type too)

eGPU port: I tried DP and HDMI

eGPU adapter: Different, PE4L 2.1b and EXP GDC

CPU: Same i7-3740QM (but unlikely)

MONITOR: Dell U2412m and ????

GEN2 ON INTERNAL SCREEN: Works and ????

Sigh.... so probably it's true, is a faulty EC port. Can I change it?

Thanks @Tech Inferno Fan, but I still don't understand why on internal screen Gen2 works (lower resolution maybe?).

So... lets do some razor-exclusion between me and @sangemaru:

SO: Different: Win 8.1 (Win 10 too) and Win 10

BIOS: Different, A16 and A7

dGPU: Different: NV5200 and none

eGPU: Different, Gtx660 and R9-270x (different type too)

eGPU port: I tried DP and HDMI

eGPU adapter: Different, PE4L 2.1b and EXP GDC

CPU: Same i7-3740QM (but unlikely)

MONITOR: Dell U2412m and ????

GEN2 ON INTERNAL SCREEN: Works and ????

Sigh.... so probably it's true, is a faulty EC port. Can I change it?

AMD drivers have much better fault tolerance to unreliable Gen2 links than NVidia. Your comparing two very different eGPU configurations.

There's an easy way to identify the Gen2 link eGPU issue. Play some music on your notebook's soundcard+speaker while doing graphics on your eGPU. When the egpu link retransmissions occur the music will start cutting out. After a bit you may see the system either freeze or BSOD. Set Gen1 and repeat the test. There you won't find any such hiccups.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes on both.

@sangemaru the model of your external monitor?

My external monitor is an old Fujits B24W ECO.

Unfortunately at present I have no other workable machine with EC on-hand (I do have an e4300 but it needs repairs before i can make it work - maybe I could report on it sometime next week).

I could test with an HD4870 or HD3870 eGPU, but once more, next week at the earliest.

It would be really sucky if the adapter could actually deliver Gen2 but the problem were with the machines :D.

• Thumbs Up 1

My external monitor is an old Fujits B24W ECO.

Unfortunately at present I have no other workable machine with EC on-hand (I do have an e4300 but it needs repairs before i can make it work - maybe I could report on it sometime next week).

I could test with an HD4870 or HD3870 eGPU, but once more, next week at the earliest.

It would be really sucky if the adapter could actually deliver Gen2 but the problem were with the machines :D.

Nice! :)

Could you test if Gen2 eGPU with "Laptop Screen only" (no external LCD connected) give you any problem?

UPDATE: Ah ok. Neither the e6430

No, I had no troubles with Gen2 enabled so long as I wasn't putting any load on the eGPU. My problems appeared the moment I tried to connect anything to it. If I booted the machine with the adapter connected but with no monitor, Windows would be perfectly stable and report Gen2 speeds.

Thanks, that was my first thought but I realised that the EC on the E6430 is on the motherboard...

MOBO-00532-2.JPG

Top left

And my e6430, your e6230 and khenglish's e6530( motherboard), worked flawlessly...

I am thinking to grub some gear just for testing... Although I may have to say goodbye to this beauty since they got me a new computer at work...

• Thumbs Up 2

Some faulty discoveries:

I completly disabled the NV5200 (I really don't need it, is only more heat to the CPU and the cooling heat pipes) but since then the docking station has dropped the DP and HDMI support.

Yeah, I know, as from the schematics they are wired to the dGpu directly, but for fun I tried:

Setting: Primary Display, Variable: 0x1D4

Option: Auto, Value: 0x3

Option: IGFX, Value: 0x0

Option: PEG, Value: 0x1

Option: PCI Bus, Value: 0x2

Setting: Internal Graphics, Variable: 0x1D8

Option: Auto, Value: 0x2

Option: Disabled, Value: 0x0

Option: Enabled, Value: 0x1

Setting: Port 3 PCIe Speed (Gen1/2) [Expresscard Slot] Variable: 0xB4

Option: 0x0 (Auto),

Option: 0x1 (Gen1),

Option: 0x2 (Gen 2)

Setting: iGPU Port Configuration, Variable: 0x1D7

Option: Disabled, Value: 0x0

Option: Enabled, Value: 0x1

Setting: iGPU Digital Port B Mode, Variable: 0x1DA

Option: Port is fully muxed with dGPU, Value: 0x0

Option: Port is not muxed with dGPU, Value: 0x1

Option: Port supports HPD only, Value: 0x2

Setting: iGPU Digital Port C Mode, Variable: 0x1DB

Option: Port supports dHPD only, Value: 0x2

Setting: iGPU Digital Port D Mode, Variable: 0x1DC

Option: Port supports HPD only, Value: 0x2

without any success (luckly the VGA is on the iGpu, at least).

By the way, the system is pretty much stable as now (not taking into account the Gen2 problem :( ). Next step: CPU overclock.

I completly disabled the NV5200 (I really don't need it, is only more heat to the CPU and the cooling heat pipes) but since then the docking station has dropped the DP and HDMI support.

Interesting! Do you have any proof that disabling the NVS5200M helps with your temperatures? I remember when I applied the battery tweaks that when I disabled the dGPU completely I had bigger idle consumption than when enabled but not using it.... I thought that the same goes for heat emissions and that's why I have it enabled...

Interesting! Do you have any proof that disabling the NVS5200M helps with your temperatures? I remember when I applied the battery tweaks that when I disabled the dGPU completely I had bigger idle consumption than when enabled but not using it.... I thought that the same goes for heat emissions and that's why I have it enabled...

I don't know for the watt consumption, but temps are -2° usually (oh well, but it can be accidental).

1680x945 LCD does not fit correctly as attempted here.

I don't think it would have any problem working if your screen is already 900p. The proble is as you can see above quoted from http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/6980-14-dell-latitude-e6440-owners-lounge.html, it seems like the screen may not physically fit. Contact the seller for more info on the E6430. I have never tried it. If he accepts returns you can try it and if it doesn't fit send it back.

Since my E6430 came originally with 900p I would be more interested on a real upgrade such as a 14" LVDS 1080p screen or an 14" IPS LVDS screen.

If you find out that it fits but yours came originally with a 768p screen you will also have to buy the 2ch LVDs cable in order for the new screen to work correctly (same applies for an 768p-->900p upgrade).

Part no for HD+ cable is JTC08 or CYM5C

JTC08 is stated as HD+ cable

CYM5C is stated as FHD/HD+ cable

although there is no version of E6430 that would come with FHD screen.

You can find one of these as low as 15$ but I can't find any info on what is the difference btw the two. If you are interested I could try to find what is my part number (my laptop came with an 900p screen and it is most probably going to be a JTC08)..

Seems to me that the CYM5C is the cable for the E6530 version of the cable but it will work for the E6430 too. also it is the same cable for both iGPU and dGPU models.

Successful upgrade from 768p -- > 1080p on a similar hardware E6530 laptop using CYM5C cable

• Thumbs Up 1

Cooling mod done! :)

Results:

Idle [39<> 46]° (before: 45° <> 55°)

Ts Bench [Max 79°] (before: 90° with throttle to x34!)

How it works with the UEFI vars?

Nice!!!

Follow the NEWBIE GUIDE TO TWEAKING THE DELL E6430 by badbadbad.

If you have problems ask here.

Would be helpful for your OCed temps to operate with bottom lid open and use laptop cooling pad (or a fan pointing on the heatsink).

enjoy the power... if possible supply prime95 temps and add the 4C @ 3.8GHz temperature results...

It would be helpful to evaluate how efficient your CPU is as done here as described http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-realtemp-discussion/6958-haswell-step-backwards-ivy-bridge-i-have-some-shocking-tdp-results.html#post95181

it would be interesting to see where your 3740QM ranks.

Good with 1c (x40.x variable, almost x41). but pretty bad with 4c, (very variable, sometimes keeps x36, sometimes x.35.x or x34.x :cold:)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16302[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16303[/ATTACH]

You are probably TDP throttled... Set your Long and Short Duration Limit @ 80W and 100W respectively (List of UEFI vars)

You are probably TDP throttled... Set your Long and Short Duration Limit @ 80W and 100W respectively (List of UEFI vars)

What value I should set?

But first.... Is it safe? I really don't want to fry my CPU :)

UPDATE: moreover my PSU is 90W